Naming details

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I cannot find the method to name the detail pieces I create. I draft a pattern in draw mode, I am fine creating a pattern piece with the appropriate tool, but if I create three pieces, from a single draft in draw mode, they are all called “detail” when I am adding internal paths. at which point am I able to give them separate names?

For instance I am creating a three panel sleeve. top sleeve, and undersleeve front and undersleeve back. I added nodes to one piece and when I do that I have three pieces all called detail to choose from.

Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

Hi @Ttailor

LOL, there is no such thing as a stupid question. And I’m sure there are many people who haven’t wanted to ask this question for thinking the same thing :slight_smile:

Once you have created your detail, then you must switch to the Piece board, right-click on the pattern piece and go to the section on the right called Labels. Select the folder at the top called Piece Label Data and here you will be able to give the pattern piece both a name and a number:

You can then immediately click on OK, go back to your Draft board to add the internal paths, anchor points, etc…

You will see that you now have a dropdown menu where you can choose the correct pattern piece that you wish to add to.

3 Likes

Thank you so much Grace! I had a feeling after I posted that the answer might lie in the labelling process. Thank you for the detailed reply, i appreciate it.

2 Likes

Not a stupid question at all… it’s a stupid place too hide the piece name.

This is something I will address at some point soon… For one you should be able to name a pattern piece when you create it. Also it should be a bit clearer where to edit the pattern piece name in the Properies tab - something like this:

props

4 Likes

Again… if we make it so you can name the pattern piece when you create it, you won’t have to bounch back and forth… at least not as much. The other thing that needs to change is the “Detail” default name - needs to be “Piece”. as well as piece names need to be unique… so in the event a user does not rename a piece the name(s) should default to something like “Piece” , “Piece(1)”, "Piece(2), etc.

5 Likes

Brilliant idea :star2: I’ve often tried to change the label name when I’ve created a piece, hoping the program could now do it, but in vain. :grin: I think one should also be able to add the notches at the time of making the detail, but that’s me. I like to get as much done on the Draft board before switching over to the Details board.

2 Likes

Agreed. I don’t see why we can’t make it so you can edit the main path nodes before saving / creating a pattern piece. Also being able to select multiple anchor points to add to a piece would also speed up the work flow.

3 Likes

Yes to less bouncing back and forth! I agree that a default naming system as you mention would be a good idea.

4 Likes