Merging two pattern pieces

Hi all. I’m new to posting, but I’ve been finding so much great information on these forums.

I’m hoping someone can help me with my latest problem.

I’ve made a pattern with 2 pieces in it, and now I want to merge the two of them so I can get a seamless piece.

Is it possible to merge piece A and B somehow, or do I have to rebuild these as one piece?

1 Like

@mrlemurboy, Try taking a look at this thread and see if it helps. Union tool, or Combine Tool

2 Likes

A bit. I was hoping it could be done in Draw mode instead of Detail mode, but if that’s how it’s gotta be done, then that’s how it’s gotta be done. Thanks

2 Likes

Hi! It’s great to have you here!

Unfortunately, at this point it would be necessary to join them in Detail mode. I believe the thread which @AnnaFields linked indicates that there has been thought given to being able to join in draw mode, but as of yet no headway has been made along those lines. So far, since we have a working detail Union tool, other things have taken precedence.

1 Like

Hey, good to know that’s the case. It at least saves me a lot of time searching for the answer. I appreciate it.

2 Likes

No, it’s not possible (at this time) to combine the pieces in the draw (draft) mode. You can use the Union tool in the detail (Piece) mode. to combine two pattern pieces.

2 Likes

This would probably take some refactoring the way the draft pieces are stored, It’s the same issue that precludes using measurements from one piece on another. Not to mention it’s hard enough dealing with the dependency tree on one draft piece far less dealing with dependencies between multiple pieces.

2 Likes

That does make a fair amount of sense. Makes sense why it’s not currently possible.

2 Likes

Hi & welcome, @mrlemurboy

If you had both panels on the same drawing board, you would’ve been able to use the Move Objects tool to move the one panel over to the other panel.

But as it is now, I’m afraid your only option is to use the Union tool to join them in the Details board.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

After reading this again… are you just looking to merge the 2 pieces into one piece… not that you actually want to join a seam together - like the Union tool does? If that’s the case, you would only have to redo part of the pattern… I would guess the back part with less objects?

If so, I’d make a copy of the pattern… open both… in one of them delete one of the pieces, then start adding to the remaining piece, and if you maintain the same point labels you can use the copy of the pattern to cut & paste any formulas.

To be honest though… as you work with the program you will probably find you might want to redo or improve a pattern as you learn the do’s and don’ts and develop a system that works for you.

2 Likes