Measurements inaccurate after printing

ok thanks. I’ll try that. but for understanding why 10mm? (told you I ask a lot of questions haha)

Because i want to be sure the value is enough for your printer. Again, it cannot print on all sheet. You should keep that in mind and say Valentina how much space is not usable for printing.

Please check if you are able to access the page scaling setting for your printer driver. With Windows 10, some older printer models are no longer supported (like my Brother MFC-7820N). This is supposed to pressure me to buy a new printer. This is my printer setup from within applications:

The settings from Printers & Scanners/Manage/Brother MFC-7820N aren’t any better. Here’s an example, I’d include the other screenshots but it’s just more of the same.
Printer preferences:

Printer properties:

Ok finally in the same location as the printer. I printed out the skirt front again and got pics of the measurements. The sheets are taped perfectly according to the guidelines. Also edited the fields as mentioned.

(issues uploading pics on my end)

I also printed out the square test one. This one all measured perfectly.

For my next trick I am going to install the latest version of 6.0 (If I can download the darn thing, stuck in the country with spotty internet that keeps failing the download) And am going to redesign the skirt from scratch in the new version. If it still gives me grief, I will try the square test again but mirror it a few times to make sure it is multi page and see what happens there.

1 Like

@ladysinaz I am not sure whether this affects you or not, but the only way that I have been able to print tiled pages to proper scale is to generate the layout, leave the layout up in Valentina, then go to the “file menu” top left and roll down to the layout submenu. (It is important that you have set the margins LARGE ENOUGH. The printer margins are set on the layout mode window.) @dismine mentioned to you earlier that they needed to be at least 10 mm. I believe that his point is that the margins need to be LARGE ENOUGH. The program apparently does not deal well with situations where the margins are TOO SMALL for your printer. What I have found on my particular printer is that they need to be at least 1.1 inches (2.794 cm) I suspect that the value is different for different printers. From there, select preview tiled pdf and print the pages you wish to print. I have found that when I do that, the scaling works perfectly and the printed lines to guide you where to cut to piece the pattern together are clear. When I had the margins set to be too narrow for my printer or when I checked “ignore fields”, I was driving myself batty because the guidelines were not printed and the scaling was not consistent among pages.

4 Likes

please see also this post Issue #297 closed prematurely -print scale

That did it. Perfect measurements that way. I will have to fiddle with it when I have some time to see if I can figure out where the hangup is with other settings and margin sizes to help pin down anything that could be coded into the application to help. There seems to be an issue with printing direct from the program… but not always. Seems to work ok from the preview, but when i did it straight “print tiled pdf” my pattern didn’t print although it did show up in the spooler. That square test file printed fine using the same method though… *shrug. Either it’s file specific, or inconsistent, or having to do with one being 1 page and one being multipage… I’ll let everyone know what I come up with.

SUPER HUGE THANKS again, for the workaround to get my proper proportions :smiley:

1 Like

you are most welcome. And the idea that print tiled pdf does not work exactly as expected is something that I have seen also. I have not taken the time to figure out the precise behaviour and document it and I am sure that someone trying to fix it would need that precision in a description.

Also, I believe that save tiled pdf may work but I have not taken the time to prove that. I know that there are issues with at least some PDF view/print utilities with scaling and internal representation differences (90 dpi vs 96 dpi is one issue). I have not had the time to investigate these or document them either. Once I found that I could get useful printed output through preview I moved on because I have other priorities.

same here, have to find the time :slight_smile: But i wanted to make sure we figured out and documented at least this much so when someone else new comes along with the same issues / questions they will have this thread for troubleshooting.

1 Like

I have some time so i’m doing some testing now. Check this foolishness out.

happened twice. once the first time i printed this triangle test file in the pdf viewer for windows and once the first time I printed the same file through acrobat reader. but then without changing anything i just hit the print icon again and they printed fine… odd… *shrug

my testing thus far on layout stuffs

print tiled pdf acts like it is printing in the spooler but nothing shows at the printer. preview print, then printing from there acts like it is printing in the spooler but nothing shows at the printer.

preview tiled pdf, then printing from there works with all measurement accurate

saving pdf and printing…missing side guidelines but they show in the pdf viewer, and acrobat reader. (had my fields set at .40 inches) Saving pdf and printing with 1 inch fields then gives the guidelines on the sides but the measurement is off by 1mm

changing fields to 1 inch the top and bottom margins are huge while the sides, not as much. half maybe (landscape)

export png is fine export pdf only exports the 1st page (so really whats the point)

triangle test_11.pdf (1.3 KB)

triangle test2.pdf (9.4 KB)

Export PDF should say Export PDF (single sheet) Is Export tiled PDF also in the export list, or should it be added?

Sorry, what? Yes, this mode doesn’t create multipage document. It exports separate files where each contains one page as you see it when create a layout. So, please, check your directory and find “missing” files there.

@slpencer, please, check what users say before proposing changes. They are not experts in program and this is not confirmed bug report.

It is not in the list because i did not add it intentionally.

@ladysinaz, you are doing great job, but as developer i don’t find much useful information in your thoughts. You asks a lot questions and this is greate. But you could help me even better if you could give me clues about wrong place. Your stream of thoughts should be more logical and structured. Right now it is more looks like i did this and here is what i got without any analysis.

For example, you cannot print a pattern. Good, we know our goal. Next step is to find what is wrong. Valentina prints in different ways:

• We should check if scaling is right from the start. Looks like it is, because DXF and SVG have right scaling. And the same code print in each case.
  • You can try export to PDF and print from external application.
  • You can print from Valentina.
  • We already know that margins are very important.
  • And one thing you did not think about. Maybe tile feature creates wrong image.

Some stuff I put isn’t necessarily for you guys. You as the developers know that margins are important but the end user might not. The reason i posted all of those test was that I do not fully understand how it works. So if something is a bug, you can see it in my results. If not a simple explanation of how it works is very helpful. Like I didn’t know that export pdf exports the entire layout but saves it as individual files. Now I do, all is good :slight_smile:

Some of the ramblings are also for end users. since I had trouble with this, it is safe to assume others will as well and hopefully going through this information (without programmer brain) it can be helpful to them (since it may not be in a wiki yet))

Sometimes what I read is very technical. I can’t make sense out of some of it and I have a programming background. Although it was a long time ago. I suspect other new users without tech backgrounds would find some of it difficult to make sense out of as well.

And now for a question about the export pdf. What is the difference between export pdf and save pdf?

2 Likes

Okay. :slight_smile: I had feeling. But decided to say in case you wait my response

Do you know C++?

Do you mean Save as tiled PDF? Yes, probably it is better to rename it to Export as tiled PDF. Here is how you can help Fixing typos.

Actually c++ is what I learned in school but that was… ouf 15 years ago and I haven’t touched it since. All I remember is cursing out semi colons :wink:

1 Like

From what I can tell you can save a tiled pdf but can only export the single sheet/ multiple file version. Which is fine once you know the difference.

@ladysinaz one thing that I believe would be useful to many is is if you create a saved tiled pdf and document the behavior of various pdf printing tools. When I tried this, I found my preferred PDF printing tool (Okular) under KUbuntu does not retain the scaling properly. I did not/do not have time to try every possible tool to print the PDF.

I see two questions here that need answers.

1. is the scaling correct in the saved PDF file when you do “save tiled pdf”? If not, find a way to prove it and document what the problem is.

2. Does the saved tiled PDF print on paper while retaining the correct scale. I proved to myself that it does not, at least with one specific tool. I asked and got no answer so I assume the answer is that nobody yet has had the time to document the procedures and/or issues with the many possible tools.

I have mostly looked at Valentina from the point of view of a user trying to create patterns and print them on small paper - It would be good to save a layout and print it again in the future. Probably one of the export options or even save tiled pdf would work. I believe it is worth investigating the way to make these work and document the procedure. IMHO, if we drive the developer to distraction he will be unable to make progress.

I did that a little bit. I used two different ones but I didn’t get that far into it yet. The pile of papers I had was a little crazy lol I still have to figure out what the exact/best margins I should use to get a correct one using the preview, then print. 1 inch seems a little excessive. There are margin settings in the printer, in Valentina and in the pdf apps. I have to play with all of them to see what the best combo is. Once that is done there will be much more specific info to go on. For now, anyone new trying to figure out why their stuff won’t scale right on the tiled can just use the preview tiled/print with a 1 inch margin set in Valentina as at least a starting point to learn the program and have their stuff come out as intended.

if you use margins that are large enough in Valentina in the layout, it is mistaken to be concerned that there will be margins on the printer that take away even more space.

There is something going on somewhere. In my patterns anyway. The margins are set evenly in Valentina on all 4 sides and i would assume they are on the printer as well (still have to check) but my margins on the printed pages are all over the place. With Valentina set at 1 inch, I might have one side that has a margin of 1.5 inch to where the dotted cut lines print, another side 1/4 inch etc It’s workable, but not ideal. This is not my first rodeo with printer though so I’ll sort it out :wink:

My last tech job… what a shit show. Myself (mostly) and a coworker spent a year and a half trying to figure out how to get printers to work properly or at all for that matter. The application was an old application written in assembly coming from a Unix/Linux server. They used to hook to old wyse terminals and such but with the advancing tech the customers where switching to using pc’s and just a command window. Which was fine until the server was sending print requests and codes for cash register drawers. Once Windows 7 came out and a few customers upgraded, everything went to hell in a handbag.