Measurements - import/export, quickly loading a new set

Hi,

If I understand it correctly you can have measurements - values and calculated and once all of them are sorted you can quickly create another pattern from a new set of measurements, correct? If that is the case is there a way to easily load another set? Changing the values one by one doesn’t seem appealing. I read it can be done via the command line, might have to explore that if no other option. Also, on the topic of quickly loading different measurements - I see there is an option to export to CVS but not an option to import. Wonder why that is. And finally, have downloaded a .vit file from the forum here and I can see that there are values for the measurements in it (openned it with notepad++) but when I import it all values are zero. Am I doing it wrong?

Thanks!

1 Like

It sounds like you are trying to use the variable table instead of SeamlyMe? It is SeamlyMe which creates/edits .vit files, which Seamly2D can then call on for measurement data. The variables table is useful for pattern specific measurements, while SeamlyMe/.vit is for “customer” specific measurements, or multi-size measurements. SeamlyMe may be accessed by choosing “Open SeamlyMe” in the Measurements menu.

I hope that points you in the right direction. If not, someone else or I would be happy to offer more clarity.

:unicorn:

2 Likes

Thanks very much for your reply, Pneumarian! I realized I need to do more reading and found this quick guide:

Wonder if there is a better read out there… So, it seems I can enter the measurements in SeamlyMe (individual) and save them let’s say like “ClientA” and when I need a patern to be drawn on the back of this set of measurements I just load this “ClientA” .vit file? And it seems the increments are a feature of Seamly2D and not SeamlyMe, correct? I still have to create my first pattern with this software so, I am just trying to build in my head what’s required, so, I appreciate very much the existence of this forum and the great help people like you provide here. At this point I know the points creating the pattern will be picked based on measurements and formulas (increments) and that the rules for that come from a pattern system you pick (of which there seem to be many). The biggest challenges I see are creating the curves and making them change correctly with new measurements. It’s interesting :slight_smile:

Thanks again for your help!

1 Like

Hi and welcome, @gg2

You can have a look at my blog where I go through setting up your measurement files and then drafting the bodice front & back using the Burgo method and later explain a bit about the Variables and how I use them.

Yes, when you need to change measurements, you just load a different set into the pattern and it should automatically resize.

As you said, setting formulas to the curves make this an easy transition, so yes, there’s quite a bit on here and on the wiki about getting them to resize smoothly, but we are here to help :slight_smile:

Hahaha… yes, this is also one of my pet peeves. hopefully, one day, we will have this option :grin:

2 Likes

Hi Grace,

Looked at your blog and I can say that this is exactly the walk through that I needed! :slight_smile: You have done a tremendous job sharing your knowledge and I am sure I will learn a lot from it, so BIG THANK YOU! The good thing is that you are breaking it down step by step, describing the whole process and how to use this great software tool. Very dense and helpful information and the videos are just the cherry on the top, did I say THANK YOU? :slight_smile: So, I will stick around and expect more questions from me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, wow! you’re very, very welcome. It looks like I’ll have to get finished with the blog on curves. I started, but life stepped in :grin:

Before you ask… The videos don’t have sound. I hate the distraction when I’m learning something and they’re meant to be understandable to all languages and I haven’t figured out captions yet.

And yes, it is an amazing software tool. It has taken me on such an amazing journey into pattern making, that I really can’t thank @slspencer, @Douglas and the developer & admin team enough for what it has brought into my life.

My real advice is… sit back & enjoy the journey.

2 Likes

If we’re talking CC, it’s not hard to do, just rather tedious if you have no way to automate the process. When I was co-producing a local music show on late night TV I had to figure out to do CC. Using the Vegas video editor it’s pretty straightforward as it has CC support built in. I just needed to import a text file with each line of text on a new line. Then while previewing the video, you just need to hit the C key to insert a CC marker for the next line of text. Render the video and you get the video and caption file synced up. YouTube can then translate the caption file. For me it was rather easy… most of the captions were the song lyrics… and it was only a 1/2 hour show.

Just let me know if you need any vids CC’d.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll take you up on that one day :grinning: