Looking people interested in AAMA and ASTM formats

dxf
testing

Hi @slspencer! Thank you! I downloaded the test version and tested all the export options. Unfortunately the manufacture can’t open .dxf files. When I open the .dxf it looks weired: Screenshot sleeve aama20101dxf

I need to export the files to .dxf because I need to convert them to .dxf.rul for the manufacturer. Also I need to add measurements (length of lines and curves) and I need to add more text, to minimize chances of mistakes in the manufacture. I could, of course, add more labels. Is there maybe a more elegant way to do it? I couldn’t figure out what the aama files actually are, could you maybe give me a hint? The .dxf.rul is the same, or very similar to the .val.vit , its a vector file plus a text file, that contains measurements. If you are interested, I could send you some examples. Is there any chance that you add dxf.rul to the export options? That would be great. Cheers, York

@y.k, can you provide the .val/.vit files that aren’t working? I didn’t find a problem importing into LibreCAD.

Sure: shirt 1 L me_aama20131.dxf (20.7 KB) shirt 1 L me_ac20131.dxf (20.6 KB)

I tried to open the files with various programs on Windows 10 including Inkscape, Adobe Illustrator & CorelDraw and the only one that opened it nicely is the Silhouette Cameo :frowning:

Those are helpful, but the original .val & .vit are needed to compare them to.

Hi, it took a while, I wanted to make a better pattern first. The curves don’t look nice in Librecad. Maybe that doesn’t matter, when I made patterns in Librecad the curves also didn’t look so nice, but when I printed them they where fine. Another issue is that I cannot export them as a pdf from Librecad any more. It only shows a blank page, drawing preferences are a1.Maße shirt 1 L me.vit (830 Bytes) shirt 1 L me.val (14.1 KB) shirt 1 L me_ 2013 aama1.dxf (33.0 KB) shirt 1 L me_Autocad 20131.dxf (32.0 KB)

Hi, in Inkscape it works when you check the “Use automatic scaling to size A4” at the beginning.

Okay. I looked over your work, and I’ve found some issues (mostly to do with your curves) that I also ran into. Based on my (somewhat limited) experience with V, here is what you need to watch out for:

1. Always do curves last. They depend on control/reference points and lines that must be in place before you place your curves. It’s an issue with V itself, which needs to be dealt with at some point.
  2. Never do freehand curves. Use formulas for setting the position of control/reference points. If you don’t, they won’t be nearly as easy to make work, and won’t work at all with different measurements.
  3. Unless you are doing something fancy, all curve ends must be at ninety degrees to the lines that they attach to. This is to ensure that when you sew the other half of the garment together, where the two curves meet forms a smooth line. (i.e. 90° + 90° = 180° - a straight line.)

Setting up a curve using reference points like I do in the example isn’t hard. (I used X as a prefix for control/reference points to keep my main numbering simple. You’ll also notice that I drag the point labels around to make things neater.)

1. Use the ‘Point from X and Y of two other points’ tool based on adjoining points on the curve (X2-X7).
  2. Create lines between the reference points and the curve points (light-blue, dashed lines).
  3. Use the ‘Curved path’ tool to lay your curve. (Don’t worry if it looks like crap, to begin with.)
  4. Right-click the curve and select ‘Options’.
  5. For each curve point, make sure that the control point angles are at right angles to whatever lines they are attached to. (If a line isn’t attached to a point, see if it makes sense to be oriented horizontal or vertical, like A16 in my example.)
  6. For the length of the first control point of each curve point, use the line length from the previous reference point (X3 in the example) to the previous curve point (A16 in the example) and multiply by .55. (The proper value is 0.551915, but that much precision isn’t needed; just remember `.55’. This value makes bezier curves come closest to approximating the curve of a circle, which makes for the smoothest curves.)
  7. For the length of the second control point, do the same thing, but with the next reference and curve points. (X4 and A32 in the example).

As you can see by my example, even odd armhole curves can turn out very smoothly, and changing any measurement won’t bother their result in the slightest.

Hope this helps!

CurveSetup

I think the issue was not with the curves as such - but that they are exported as polylines.

From a previous discussion - you are aware that at most one of - sewing line / seam allowance can be preserved as a bezier curve.

I think the original programmer made bot polylines.

What a wonderful tutorial - Thank you.

Can you please post the .vit & .val files so that I can really study what you did?

Thank you for the tutorial, it is very interesting. I have a few questions

• In the image you use point X2 in the formula for the first control point, while in your text you use point X3. Can both be used? Or is it the one connecting with the blue dotted line to X35?

Hi@y.k.,
Which DXF export files did you test?
Valentina has 18 DXF export options.

Hi@slspencer, I exported in all formats, and tested a few. Always the same result. I will test them all.

@y.k. - Which version of LibreCad are you using?

Hi @KeithFromCanada, thank you very much! I am looking all day at your tutorial, and try to follow what you did. Unfortunately I don’t understand. What I do understand is that that curves in order to be automatically adjustable for different sizes need to curved paths with formulas. You use construction points for the curved path like A11, A16, A32, A31, and A30, although I don’t see construction lines for A16. You also constructed X35 and X36? From a point from the middle of the curve and an angle? You then constructed some reference points, and did some Bezier magic and got a beautiful curve. When I look at the formula I see that I don’t understand the basics of how such a curve is calculated, or drawn. All constructed points on the curve has two control points. What is this control point, what does the length refer to, how is it dependent on the length between the construction point and the new reference point, in what way is the angle from outside the curve relevant, (I thought the 90 degrees are only important at the end of a curve) and why has the second angle just a number, which angle is it actually. It’s a lot of questions, but maybe you could explain it a bit, that would be really great. Or maybe it is already explained somewhere, and someone knows where?

@slspencer it’s Version: master SCM Revision: 2.0.9 Compiler: GNU GCC 5.3.1 Qt Version: 5.5.1 on a Linux computer

Ok, I’m installing LibreCAD, current version is v2.1.3 I’ll look at this and see what’s up!

@y.k - Would you start a new thread to discuss @KeithFromCanada’s pattern file? Thanks!

I update Librecad, and start the thread right in the morning.

:sigh: Okay, I’ll make another thread and start right from the beginning. It could take a while to post, though. I am somewhat of a perfectionist. (That tutorial started as a single, two-line sentence before I kept going ‘Hmmm… I think I need to back it up a little.’ :sigh: )

…and here are the files:

AldrichSize26.vit (1.6 KB) AldrichBodiceBlock01.val (15.3 KB)