Looking for power user to demo Valentina to PS!

I am looking for someone to spend an afternoon at Pumping Station One giving a Valentina demo to a group of 5-20.

http://pumpingstationone.org/about-2/

If you are in Chicago, great! If not, I’ll take up a collection to cover your travel and lodging.

And I’ll produce a video of the event and put it on Youtube for all to see, because that’s what I do.

What’s the next step? Who is interested?

Squee!

I am assuming Saturdays or Sundays will be best for most people. Do you have a preference?

I am also assuming 4 hours is about as long as the formal event should go. even with a lunch break most people’s brains can’t take much more. But I am sure there will be plenty of shop talk afterwords.

Have you ever presented Valentina before? we have a room with a projector that seats 12-18 people w/ laptops.

Don’t worry too much about presentation quality. You can show up in your pj’s and no one will care :wink:

Audience: There are 300 members, 20-50 do sewing things for various values of sewing things. I gave my industrial sewing machine to a friend because she needed it and I wasn’t really using it. My wife and I are Python programmers and love open source things. about 5 years ago I started making videos of all the Python conferences and other happy conferences.

Personally I would like a hands on tutorial - show up with a laptop with Valentina installed, follow along laying out a shirt or something. maybe we all have our measurements ahead of time too. I am sure there are a few members that could help get the right measurements so we don’t burn up 20 minutes taking each others.

But I’ll be only 1/2 paying attention because I’ll be doing my video thing too.

I need to query the group to find out what days people can commit to. Can you give me a 1 or two line description of what you will talk about?

“”" Susan Spencer, one of the core Valentina devs will spend some time walking us through laying out a shirt and then how to contribute patches to the code base. “”"

Hmm, I think we can leave the code out of it ;)On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Susan Spencer susan.spencer@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Carl!

So glad you’re interested in Valentina!

I would be up for a trip to Chicago. When are you wanting a demo?

Just so everyone’s clear on this, I sleep late all the time, wear my pajamas til mid-afternoon, and work off & on usually til about 3:00am. ;D

Susan

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 8:33 AM, Carl Karsten cfkarsten@gmail.com wrote:

I am in Chicago, it is 8:30 in the morning, sun has been up for over an hour. Someone in the neighbourhood has a rooster who has been crowing for a while. Susan wake up!! /me rings bell

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 6:31 AM, dismine dismine@gmail.com wrote:

I think Susan is sleeping now. Is it a night in USA now? :slight_smile: We should wait a little.

On Thursday, October 30, 2014 3:28:28 PM UTC+2, Carl Karsten wrote:

Roman, thanks for replying.

Susan - are you listening?

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 2:05 AM, dismine dismine@gmail.com wrote:

I am looking for someone to spend an afternoon at Pumping Station One

giving a Valentina demo to a group of 5-20.

Hi,

Sorry, but i can’t. I am living in Ukraine. Maybe Susan can. :slight_smile:

On Thursday, October 30, 2014 6:27:51 AM UTC+2, cfka...@gmail.com wrote:

I am looking for someone to spend an afternoon at Pumping Station One giving a Valentina demo to a group of 5-20.

If you are in Chicago, great! If not, I’ll take up a collection to cover your travel and lodging.

And I’ll produce a video of the event and put it on Youtube for all to see, because that’s what I do.

– Carl K

– Carl K

– You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Valentina-project list” group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to valentina-project-list+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to valentina-project-list@googlegroups.com. Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/valentina-project-list . For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Carl K

I think Susan is sleeping now. Is it a night in USA now? :slight_smile: We should wait a little.On Thursday, October 30, 2014 3:28:28 PM UTC+2, Carl Karsten wrote:

Hi,

– Carl K

I am in Chicago, it is 8:30 in the morning, sun has been up for over an hour. Someone in the neighbourhood has a rooster who has been crowing for a while. Susan wake up!! /me rings bellOn Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 6:31 AM, dismine dismine@gmail.com wrote:

I think Susan is sleeping now. Is it a night in USA now? :slight_smile: We should wait a little.

Hi,

– Carl K

Carl K

Susan - are you listening?On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 2:05 AM, dismine dismine@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

Carl K

There is talk about getting a single device that both prints and cuts. $2k price is doable, 5k might not fly.

hmm, I spoke too soon. we may spend $6500

https://wiki.pumpingstationone.org/Vote_to_Buy_a_Large_Format_Printer

Carl K

Saturday Dec. 6 sounds great! Would I travel on Dec 5 & 8?On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 10:06 AM, Carl Karsten cfkarsten@gmail.com wrote:

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 8:35 AM, Carl Karsten cfkarsten@gmail.com wrote:

How does Saturday Dec 6 sound?

scroll up 3 messages if you missed this. I think my 2nd post about the printer disrupted our volley.

– Carl K

Carl,

We are currently in a feature freeze so that we get out a new release. Can we wait until the new release is out?

Of course - wait, you don’t want to demo on beta version? It’s a great way to find bugs :wink:

Squee!

I am assuming Saturdays or Sundays will be best for most people. Do you have a preference?

Either would work for me.

Given the “wait till stable” request, and my schedule (I am out of town Nov 15 and 23) and. 29 is close to Thanksgiving so lets skip that.

We will get you a hotel, and cover travel too.

I am also assuming 4 hours is about as long as the formal event should go. even with a lunch break most people’s brains can’t take much more. But I am sure there will be plenty of shop talk afterwords.

I totally agree.

Have you ever presented Valentina before? we have a room with a projector that seats 12-18 people w/ laptops.

I’ve made presentations on programming custom sized digital patterns to a larger audience

Don’t worry too much about presentation quality. You can show up in your pj’s and no one will care :wink:

I have some special pj’s that would be perfect for the occasion.

Audience:

There are 300 members, 20-50 do sewing things for various values of sewing things. I gave my industrial sewing machine to a friend because she needed it and I wasn’t really using it. My wife and I are Python programmers and love open source things. about 5 years ago I started making videos of all the Python conferences and other happy conferences.

Personally I would like a hands on tutorial - show up with a laptop with Valentina installed, follow along laying out a shirt or something. maybe we all have our measurements ahead of time too. I am sure there are a few members that could help get the right measurements so we don’t burn up 20 minutes taking each others.

Okay, and can we make a measurement video? We can post a link to a measurement form on your website ad about the demo so people can fill it out ahead of time if they wish. Also, I can be there 2 days if someone has a sofa I can crash on. The extra day would allow scheduling of one-on-one or small group tutorials to work on a specific pattern if anyone is interested.

I am thinking come in Friday, go home Sunday or Monday. You should have some time to see Chicago too.

You and I can go through it afterwards if you want.

I need to query the group to find out what days people can commit to. Can you give me a 1 or two line description of what you will talk about?

The workshop will present the disruptive ideas behind Valentina, a summary

of pattern drafting techniques, a description of the Valentina workflow, the creation of a pattern from start to save to print, and a discussion on contributing to the Valentina project via code and/or beta testing.

perfect

Do you have a plotter?

sort of. We have a 3’ x 50’ inkjet that basically doesn’t work (see https://wiki.pumpingstationone.org/HP_DesignJet_755CM_Large_Format_Printer )

We are talking about buying something to replace it.

We also have a 24" wide https://wiki.pumpingstationone.org/Vinyl_Cutter

There is talk about getting a single device that both prints and cuts. $2k price is doable, 5k might not fly.

Any suggestions?

“”" Susan Spencer, one of the core Valentina devs will spend some time walking us through laying out a shirt and then how to contribute patches to the code base. “”"

Hmm, I think we can leave the code out of it :wink:

Hi Carl!

Just so everyone’s clear on this, I sleep late all the time, wear my pajamas til mid-afternoon, and work off & on usually til about 3:00am. ;D

Susan

I am in Chicago, it is 8:30 in the morning, sun has been up for over an hour. Someone in the neighbourhood has a rooster who has been crowing for a while. Susan wake up!! /me rings bell

I am looking for someone to spend an afternoon at Pumping Station

One giving a Valentina demo to a group of 5-20.

Hi,

– Carl K

– Carl K

– You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Valentina-project list” group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to valentina-project-list+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to valentina-project-list@googlegroups.com. Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/valentina-project-list. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

– Carl K

Carl K

Squee!

I totally agree.

I’ve made presentations on programming custom sized digital patterns to a larger audience

Audience:

There are 300 members, 20-50 do sewing things for various values of sewing things. I gave my industrial sewing machine to a friend because she needed it and I wasn’t really using it. My wife and I are Python programmers and love open source things. about 5 years ago I started making videos of all the Python conferences and other happy conferences.

Okay, and can we make a measurement video? We can post a link to a measurement form on your website ad about the demo so people can fill it out ahead of time if they wish. Also, I can be there 2 days if someone has a sofa I can crash on. The extra day would allow scheduling of one-on-one or small group tutorials to work on a specific pattern if anyone is interested.

The workshop will present the disruptive ideas behind Valentina, a summary of pattern drafting techniques, a description of the Valentina workflow, the creation of a pattern from start to save to print, and a discussion on contributing to the Valentina project via code and/or beta testing.

Do you have a plotter?

scroll up 3 messages if you missed this. I think my 2nd post about the printer disrupted our volley.

Carl K

Hi Carl!

SusanOn Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 8:33 AM, Carl Karsten cfkarsten@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

– Carl K

– Carl K

– You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Valentina-project list” group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to valentina-project-list+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to valentina-project-list@googlegroups.com. Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/valentina-project-list. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi,

Sorry, but i can’t. I am living in Ukraine. Maybe Susan can. :)On Thursday, October 30, 2014 6:27:51 AM UTC+2, cfka...@gmail.com wrote:

Carl,

We are currently in a feature freeze so that we get out a new release. Can we wait until the new release is out?On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 11:17 PM, Susan Spencer susan.spencer@gmail.com wrote:

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Carl Karsten cfkarsten@gmail.com wrote:

Squee!

I totally agree.

Audience:

The workshop will present the disruptive ideas behind Valentina, a summary of pattern drafting techniques, a description of the Valentina workflow, the creation of a pattern from start to save to print, and a discussion on contributing to the Valentina project via code and/or beta testing.

Do you have a plotter?

Hmm, I think we can leave the code out of it :wink:

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Susan Spencer susan.spencer@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Carl!

Susan

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 8:33 AM, Carl Karsten cfkarsten@gmail.com wrote:

I am looking for someone to spend an afternoon at Pumping Station

One giving a Valentina demo to a group of 5-20.

Hi,

– Carl K

– Carl K

– Carl K

archived #14