Kimono one piece

I am making a one piece kimono. There is no separate sleeve, back and front bodice as its attached to one block. I am now going to tackle this amazing garment but wonder if anybody has insights as to how to approach growth without separate sections. The front and back bodice with arm will all be one piece. How exciting!

1 Like

Hi @AmandaClarice

The bodice will be created using the normal measurements from SeamlyMe and then rotated as shown in the 2nd picture. Raise the shoulder tip by 1/4" and create the curved shoulder line.

Then you may add the line from the shoulder tip to wrist using the Sleeve Length measurement and the angle of the shoulder tip curve + 180 degrees. Create the wrist line at 90 degrees to the sleeve line and half of the around hand measurement. I’d use the Point at distance and angle tool for both of these lines. Draw a line from the bottom of the wrist to the armhole.

I’d place a node 1/3 distance from armhole along this line and draw in the curve to the waist using the direction of the lines for handle angles and the distance to armhole multiplied by .55 (this can be adjusted according to taste) as the length of the handles.

Then adjust the neck as indicated & voila! You’re done!

The pattern should resize very well according to whatever sizes you load. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is encouraging. I’ve currently have to take that pattern and turn it into this blue fabric pattern. After dissecting a jiujitsu gi jacket pattern, it’s amazingly one piece with the FRONT bodice split in half and on opposite sides of the pattern. I’m having difficult time finding material on how to draft a jiujitsu gi. If anyone knows of textbooks with this wonderful garment or similar too, Please feel free to let me know. Thanks in advance

1 Like

Here’s blogs where pretty complicated ones were made that you can look at:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/raptor-gi-a-designers-perspective.1768041/

And this one actually gives you the pre-made patterns in various sizes (I guess more for fancy dress): Japanese sewing patterns - Ninja Costume Cosplay Sewing Pattern - Part 1

Here is a site that shows you how to sew on patches: How to Sew On a Jiu Jitsu GI Patch – The Best Jiu Jitsu Gi's

And then there is the padding, lining & strengthening… ai-ai, you’ve really chosen a heavy task :slight_smile:

And then I found this link that shows how to draft a kimono: Tutorial:Draft a Kimono Patten by taeliac on DeviantArt

I hope these will help.