Keeps crashing

@Grace… after working with this pattern I’m reminded by the fact some of the tools do not leave persistent lines… like the arc or the Intersect Line and Axis. Would you think we should update the visuals so the lines / arcs remain?

It would also eliminate the need to draw Lines to see the pattern - like the darts in this case. Also the arcs are a pain… you can’t see it so you’re clicking around trying to find it.

1 Like

I don’t quite get you.

If you mean that when you zoom out, you can’t see them very well, then yes, I think if the line style & weight should remain the same & not reduce with the zoom out or enlarge witht the zoom in. I think these should remain the same size so that they’re always visible.

If you mean with the on-screen settings, ummm… I think this is in the hands of the designer. They should make them visible enough so that they can see them but set them in such a way that they’re not always ‘in their face’. Of course, they will start with being set to their App Preferences and then later by the on-screen save but they can still manually change them.

Does this help?

the arc was dark. i changed it to a very light setting as i was trying to ignore it!

1 Like

Lets look at this: It’s using the Intersect Line and Axis and the Intersect Curve and Axis.

Right now you can’t see the Lines or the Curve (arc)… until you click on the points. Like

or this:

To make matters worse you can’t see the Arc to select it to edit, until you hover over it.

What I’m saying is that we can change the visualization so that those lines and arc persist after you’re done editng. So you would know where the arcs are like this:

or it can look like this without having to create the extra Lines.

Instead of this:

Of course you could make those intersect lines or arcs No Pen / dashed / dotted or better yet, placed in groups to reduce or hide their visbility on screen. It would be no different than most of the other tools that leave the lines or curves. If they didn’t it would be a nightmare just looking at a bunch of dots.

2 Likes

Ok, so… if I understand you correctly, you’re going to devise a way to draw in the dart legs when using the True Darts tool… I think that will be amazing :star_struck: Thank you, thank you, thank you.

For the rest… Nope! Still don’t get it. :grin:

1 Like

No. Thats not what I’m saying… although a dart tool would be nice. :slight_smile:

What I’m saying is for the point intersect tools… Curve (Arc) and Axis, and Line and Axis… is that the line you see in the secondary color as you draw, should remain AFTER the dialog is closed ( and yes - all tools have a dialog even though some don’t display when creating the tool) , in the pen attributes set in the tool. Right now they don’t, so like in the case of point A16 you have no idea what tool created the point without clicking on it, and less idea trying to select the Arc to know where it’s Center is - because you CAN’T see it without hovering around.

The anolgy is if I was drafting these construction lines on paper, they don’t magically disappear- they stay there. Again, just like when you draw a Point at Length and Distance… it leaves the line - even though all that matters to the pattern is the point. Without the line, you would be lost.

2 Likes

Hmm… Yes, I think that will be useful if the Insect curve/arc and axis was being used, but it already does this, unless you change it to no line.

Duh… Nevermind on the arc. This is what I was looking at"

Screenshot 2024-03-08 163907

Then realised the lineweight was too small. image

=========================================================

On the Intersect Line and Axis… this is what we have now for Point A23…

This is what I was thinking instead… where it also shows the axis line from A31 to A23.

And the same for A31 to A4…

Now when you goto insert the internal dart paths you can see it becomes more like tracing rather than connect the dots. Also it eliminates the need to draw the 4 extra (green) lines.

I’m just throwing it out there, and that’s why I asked. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aaaahhhh… Ok, now I’ve got you :rofl: I can be really slow sometimes.

Yes, If you use the Point - Intersect Line and Angle tool, it doesn’t draw any line to indicate which line is being used, but it does draw a line from the intersect point to the new point.

I don’t think it’s necessary, because normally one would be using an existing line for this. I think it’s enough that the points and line highlight if one clicks on the node.

But not always… take this example:

Yes… you could use A-A2 as the line and A1 as the axis point and get thisL

Screenshot 2024-03-09 014429

And you could acertain by look that A3 is an Intersect point. On the other hand you could have this:

Or this

Screenshot 2024-03-09 015053

It’s not readily apparent what tool is used for each one. 1st one id the Intersect, the second is the Bisector.

But it would be if the Intersect Line and Axis looked like this: image

Of course in the 1st case would have to decide to handle the possible color conflict between the blue & orange.

1 Like

Yes, I get it now, it’s like I said… Those extra lines will need to be able to set each line’s type & colour, because there’s nothing worse than having a number of lines over each other or ‘in your face’ when you don’t want them to be or having multiple lines over each other when one wants a solid, thick line.

A simple solution could be for the tools in question is to add a checkbox in the dialog and context menu item to Show secondary line(s).

1 Like