Issue: Table of variables closing make Seamly crash

In looking this issue, I’ve discovered that the ESC keypress issue also extends to the History Dialog… not surprising as they are both non modal dialogs handled in the same way. I’m taking a different approach to handle the ESC keypress in any of the dialogs.

While I’m at it I’m doing some cosmetics to the “Variables” dialog… and removing the term “increments”… which will become “custom variables”

I’m also wondering what’s everyone’s thought on instead of performing a search (with previous/ next buttons) of the variable tables if we filter the variables instead based on a search term? It’s much easier to code, and IMO just as effective in finding what you want by eliminating anything that doesnt match the search term.

2 Likes

Yes, the term has been a bit contentious and deceiving over the years. And I’m wondering if it’s really either. Some people use it for measurements while others, I think most, use it as an easily accessible place for things like Ease where one can change the values in one place for the whole pattern. I also use it for complex formulas that get used over and over in a pattern (normally size related). I have no idea what one should name it, just please don’t take it away :rofl:

And… while you’re busy with this… what about an export/import of these increments/variables to or from another pattern? At the moment, I do this manually. (Then… I don’t know if anyone else would want this feature… if anyone else uses it the way I do.)

Yes, the History is a little touchy in the sense that one must always select the bottom line after editing something back in time (I’m time travelling again). I don’t mind, either way would suit me, personally.

But that said… could I suggest something? Would it be possible that, once one has finished editing and clicks on the OK button at the bottom to close the box, that it automatically selects the last line before exiting?

Also… when editing in History… one selects the line to start editing, but if one wishes to add 2 lines based on each other, one needs to manually move to below the 1st line. Shouldn’t the position of the edit automatically move down as one adds lines?

Please note that these are only things that I’ve noticed that could make the feature more ‘friendly’ to work with. One thing that I have noticed that has improved vastly, which is a great help, is that the program auto-backup is working much better. Thank you very much for this. When I do crash because I forgot to move to the last line or to the next line, I only have to close the pattern and reopen it, do the changes again and continue working. You’re a STAR :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

3 Likes

Understood. Considering the dialog is titled Variables table", I think “custom” is general enough to cover whatever you want to use it for. That being said I could come up a dozen terms that define the “Tab” better than increments.

Good idea. Beyond what I want to do with fixing the current issue. Create a new topic and we can discuss some ways to accomplish this.

I’m speaking about the Variables dialog in regards to searching. Currently you can search / find in the “increments” but not the other tabs.

I only mentioned the History dialog as it suffers the same issue with disappearing when closing with the ESC key.

In the History? I’ll take a look.

2 Likes

I objected to the term ‘Increments’ til I was blue in the face, all I got was a rename from Increments Table to Variables Table. The term ‘Custom Variables’ is perfect.

It looks like there are several items introduced into this thread, let’s keep up with them and make sure they’re listed in Github issues:

1. Fix issues when closing non-modal dialogs using the ESC key
  2. Rename ‘Increments’ to ‘Custom Variables’ in Variables Table
  3. Replace the current search method in Variables Table with filtering on a search term
  4. Add an export/import feature to Variables Table
  5. Auto-select the last line in the History buffer when exiting History
  6. Auto-select the next line when adding a line in History
3 Likes

In an odd sort of way I’m glad to hear that. I can understand the language barrier, but one could have reasonably expected R to defer to those who speak English and know the industry. Oh well… water under the bridge.

These will all be fix / implemented probably tomorrow eve. Hopefully the change in dealing with the ESC key press fixes the issue with the MAC OS. I just wish I had a Mac to be able to test with.

I would prefer to handle this as a separate issue… there are several ways we could implement this.

Good ideas for an overall update of the History dialog.

2 Likes

@Douglas Yes to export/transfer of increments/custom to an external file so that it may be used for more than one pattern as @Grace suggested, please. Those measurements are neither unique to one individual’s measurements nor to one pattern. Thank you.

4 Likes

I am having the same problem

2 Likes

Hi & welcome to our forum, @David_Dragoone

At the moment, I edit the pattern file using a text editor. I copy the whole increments section from one file and paste it over the increments section in the new pattern file. It does work this way, but it would be much easier and user-friendlier if one could import it directly from one pattern into a new pattern.

Can I assume the Variables Table crashing the program? Should be fixed by using a more current version.

2 Likes

Import/Export of Variables (previously Increments) is an old feature request, we’ve looked forward to having this capability for a long time:

2 Likes

@David_Dragoone, please install the latest Seamly2D from here:

2 Likes

The github issue for import/export of Variables:

2 Likes