Issue: Table of variables closing make Seamly crash

I usually look at About Seamly2D in the Help menu.

I believe Douglas is working it out to where we can copy/paste the information, but on the Sep28 (20200928) weekly release a screenshot of the about window was still the easiest way to get the info.

1 Like

Aug, 3rd, 2020 Build version: Git:c403baf205f0

1 Like

You don’t even want to know. I had stashed changes of several branches I was working on sort of disappear on a recent update of the develop branch?? … So I have to reconstruct from a backup. :frowning:

2 Likes

Thanks Aline for the report…

How are you closing the Table dialog? With the esc key? There was an issue with that that I just fixed in the last weekly update. Try the latest update and see if that fixes the problem. Either way if you could report back if the issue is solved for you on the Mac or not that would be helpful.

3 Likes

Hi Douglas. Sorry for my late response. It’s working perfectly now. I’m using weekly release 20201012 and it’s fixed. Thank you very much!

Best, Aline

1 Like

Hola @Douglas , Gracias por toda la información que comparten en este foro. Es mi primera vez escribiendo en el :see_no_evil:, soy un poco penosa para esto. La pregunta sería ¿Cómo sé que hay actualizaciones nuevas de Seamly2D? Me encanta esta herramienta para el patronaje. Saludos

1 Like
3 Likes

Muchas Gracias. Ya lo descargo. :+1:

2 Likes

Glad it’s working for you.

There are weekly (test) releases every Sunday/Monday which can be found on the Seamly Github page. You can use the link Aline provided… just click back to the main page and you should be able to find a link to latest release.

3 Likes

Muchas Gracias, estaré pendiente a esas actualizaciones. Saludos

2 Likes

Dear Douglas,

The problem occured again in the weekly version of Seamly2D (20201026) in MacOs Catalina. In Windows it works perfectly.

I open a pattern, then open variables table. When I close it with ESC key or using x icon in the upper left corner the program crashes and generate a crash report.

2 Likes

It is working properly in Ubuntu 20 as well.

:unicorn:

1 Like

The github issue is here: BUG: Variables Table Crash in MacOs Catalina · Issue #346 · FashionFreedom/Seamly2D · GitHub

1 Like

Hi Aline… I saw the Github issue, and will attempt a different fix. Apparently there is a difference in the way the Mac OS handles the dialogs. Since I don’t have access to a Mac I’d like to rely on you to help test out a fix. I have an idea what’s happening, but since I cant test, it may takes a few tries to find a fix.

Can you provide a screencap or details of what the crash report is?

3 Likes

1 Like

Thanks Aline… Clearly the report is showing a seg fault error… usually meaning a bad pointer. Could be that the code handling the dialog is deleting the dialog again after closing / rejecting (ESC) the dialog has already deleted the dialog.

4 Likes

In looking this issue, I’ve discovered that the ESC keypress issue also extends to the History Dialog… not surprising as they are both non modal dialogs handled in the same way. I’m taking a different approach to handle the ESC keypress in any of the dialogs.

While I’m at it I’m doing some cosmetics to the “Variables” dialog… and removing the term “increments”… which will become “custom variables”

I’m also wondering what’s everyone’s thought on instead of performing a search (with previous/ next buttons) of the variable tables if we filter the variables instead based on a search term? It’s much easier to code, and IMO just as effective in finding what you want by eliminating anything that doesnt match the search term.

2 Likes

Yes, the term has been a bit contentious and deceiving over the years. And I’m wondering if it’s really either. Some people use it for measurements while others, I think most, use it as an easily accessible place for things like Ease where one can change the values in one place for the whole pattern. I also use it for complex formulas that get used over and over in a pattern (normally size related). I have no idea what one should name it, just please don’t take it away :rofl:

And… while you’re busy with this… what about an export/import of these increments/variables to or from another pattern? At the moment, I do this manually. (Then… I don’t know if anyone else would want this feature… if anyone else uses it the way I do.)

Yes, the History is a little touchy in the sense that one must always select the bottom line after editing something back in time (I’m time travelling again). I don’t mind, either way would suit me, personally.

But that said… could I suggest something? Would it be possible that, once one has finished editing and clicks on the OK button at the bottom to close the box, that it automatically selects the last line before exiting?

Also… when editing in History… one selects the line to start editing, but if one wishes to add 2 lines based on each other, one needs to manually move to below the 1st line. Shouldn’t the position of the edit automatically move down as one adds lines?

Please note that these are only things that I’ve noticed that could make the feature more ‘friendly’ to work with. One thing that I have noticed that has improved vastly, which is a great help, is that the program auto-backup is working much better. Thank you very much for this. When I do crash because I forgot to move to the last line or to the next line, I only have to close the pattern and reopen it, do the changes again and continue working. You’re a STAR :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

3 Likes

Understood. Considering the dialog is titled Variables table", I think “custom” is general enough to cover whatever you want to use it for. That being said I could come up a dozen terms that define the “Tab” better than increments.

Good idea. Beyond what I want to do with fixing the current issue. Create a new topic and we can discuss some ways to accomplish this.

I’m speaking about the Variables dialog in regards to searching. Currently you can search / find in the “increments” but not the other tabs.

I only mentioned the History dialog as it suffers the same issue with disappearing when closing with the ESC key.

In the History? I’ll take a look.

2 Likes

I objected to the term ‘Increments’ til I was blue in the face, all I got was a rename from Increments Table to Variables Table. The term ‘Custom Variables’ is perfect.

It looks like there are several items introduced into this thread, let’s keep up with them and make sure they’re listed in Github issues:

1. Fix issues when closing non-modal dialogs using the ESC key
  2. Rename ‘Increments’ to ‘Custom Variables’ in Variables Table
  3. Replace the current search method in Variables Table with filtering on a search term
  4. Add an export/import feature to Variables Table
  5. Auto-select the last line in the History buffer when exiting History
  6. Auto-select the next line when adding a line in History
3 Likes