Is there something like a "Go to" feature?

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is something like a “Search” or “Go to” feature? My current pattern is now at about 340 points, and I am looking for point 291, but I can’t find it. It might also be in a group that I made invisible, but as I was looking now for that point, I was wondering if there is a search feature, where I could type in the required point and it would get highlighted, or selected?

Thank you.

3 Likes

Hi @Evica

Haha, yes… I often have the same problem. The closest that we have is in the History. You can type in point 291 in the search box and it will highlight all the lines where that point was used in the list. I often see where it was first created, which sometimes gives me an idea of where it should be located.

We have discussed adding something to the History which, when a line in the list is selected, it will highlight the area/point in the pattern, as well, but @Douglas is busy working on other areas of the program currently. So hopefully some day :grin:

3 Likes

Ooooh… Correction!

Thank you very much, @Douglas, I see that you have included the highlight in the History :heart_eyes:

Ok, @Evica, you can now use the History to find your lost point. Open the History, type in the point label, scroll down to the 1st instance that is highlighted and click on the text. It will show up in pink on your pattern design.

I haven’t tried to see what happens if it’s hidden in a group, but I think this is a huge step forward :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good idea. If you want, or if somebody else could - create an issue on Github for a search function.

Off the top of my head I would use the normal Ctrl-F shortcut, include a “Search” (or "Find) in DVD edit menu. It would pop up a simple dialog to type in an object name or part there of, and search through the list of objects… hightlight the object of it’s in the current draft block, and provide a means to search for next.

Only issue to resolve I can see is what to do if an object is in a group and hidden?

Just another idea to toss out there… what about an Object manager as another (right side) dock? Kinda like you would have in Inkscape or Coreldraw.

3 Likes

I am not sure, how and where to open issues on Github ? Don’t want to add nonsense anywhere :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can go to the issues page… click “New”… then select a type - like bug or feature request. It will open the issue prefilling the title with something like Feature: and give some instructions in the text body.

3 Likes

I just create an account on github and went to the issue page. There I dont see new, however, next to my provide there is a plus sign, and the options for new repository, gist, organisation and project. Do I use one of these?

1 Like

Use this link… it takes you to the Seamly repo new issue page where I suggest you can choose “Feature request”

2 Likes

Thank you, I think it worked :slightly_smiling_face: feature request #596 gas been opened

2 Likes

Yup… it worked. By having the request in an issue makes it easier to keep track of what needs to be done. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had a light bulb momment last night. Instead of just a search function, I propose an Object Manager… which would eliminate the Group Manager, as it would be incorporated into the Object Manager. At 1st I would do a manager for draft blocks in Draft mode, then one for pattern pieces in Piece mode.

If you’re familiar with CorelDraw or Inkscape, think of groups as layers… and using a tree widget structure here’s a concept pic of what I have in mind:

objectmanager

One would be able to interact with the tree items… for example searching / seleting an object would hilight the object(s?) in the draft block… changing the current block if need be. Depending on the tree item type - block, group, item… background?.. etc… a context menu would present actions for that item. For example a tool item would have the option to open the tool’s dialog. A group item would allow you to edit a groups property. If drag and drop is enabled one could simply drag a tool into or out of a group.

3 Likes

OMG, that would be so cool :smiley:

1 Like

Not to mention if I can implement drag n drop with the tree - it will be more productive.

3 Likes

I also love making them visible/invisible/locked. Handling the points would be soooooo much easier!! You got me totally excited about this :smiley:

1 Like

Well… currently you can hide / show the points / curves if you put them in a group… it’s just rather clunky at the moment to add or delete from a group. I plan on updating the groups, and theoretically it would be real easy to use drag n drop to just drag an object selection to an existing group in the tree… or move an object within the tree to a / another group.

2 Likes

Yes I know about the groups, I also use it,but somehow I bever get all the points and stuff I want to hidd in ine go, so I end up making so many groups for the same section. Having it thus new way would be just beyond amazing :smiley:

2 Likes

Exactly why I said the groups are clunky right now. I plan on a paradigm shift in the way groups will work… instead of creating a group as you select objects, you could create groups at any time, and then add / delete objects to / from a group… with the most likely time would be in the tool dialog as you create a new object.

3 Likes