Introductions Thread

Eh, mir fällt grad auf, ich stelle mich jetzt uns Eck, schäme mich, streue Asche auf mein Haupt und verlinke auf Timelace Studio

Wenn ich schreibe “tutorial” denke ich automatisch and die geschriebene Variante.

Sorry, guys, videos are somewhat out of focus in my mind :blush: The one of timelace exists and is fine. It is only a video, that’s why it didn’t come into my mind.

@Nyctophilia, you can also create a written tutorial in LibreOffice, export your tutorial in wiki format, then upload your exported file + your image files to our wiki.

Hi @slspencer

i found out that Valentina localization | Transifex is the translation for valentina and not for Seamly2D. Where can i help to translate SEAMLY2D?

Greets Atropos

1 Like

The programmer who left the project and made a fork, then deleted our original repo so that his repo was the oldest one and the ‘parent’, is saying that the translations are his. At this time, we share the translations with valentina. It’s bad form to deny a request to contribute to an open source project, whether to contribute code or translations.

That being said, I’ve contacted Transifex to ask what we can do to move forward on our own as Seamly2D, with a fork of the translations.

2 Likes

I’m moving this translations discussions to a new thread.

3 Likes

Hi! My name is Sini. Greetings from Finland. Any others here from my neck of woods?

I’m no developer, not even a professional pattern maker, but I’m willing to test the system from the point of view of a small business. In case there are more than a couple of Finns using the software, I could also find time to translate some parts of the program and tutorials into Finnish.

I found Seamly2D while browsing the Internet for a reasonably prized pattern drafting software. It seams likely that I’ve found what I was looking for; an affordable software that won’t force me to cut the corners!

I’m very interested in Seamly2D and also in the philosophy behind it. In my opinion, the slow fashion movement is the very best thing that has been introduced to the field in more than a century.

4 Likes

Welcome @Kuosini. We are glad to have you in the forum. Feel free to look around and ask questions. Someone will help when they can

1 Like

Hi @Kuosini!
So glad you’re a Slow Fashion enthusiast!
As far as I know, you’re the first Finn to post.
Are you interested in learning pattern drafting?

1 Like

(copy paste from my profile informations)

Hello, My name is Luca and i’m learning pattern modeling for high quality bespoke clothes and for clothes industry. I do that with my ability to use computers and electronics in general, and my father huge experience in bespoke tailoring, pattern making, modeling research. My family’s Atelier started as a italian traditional tailor shop, where my father used to manifacture men’s suit; thanks to research and embracing innovation (which is rejected and underrated by the most part of tailor in italy) it has became a modern laboratory with new tecniques of modeling and sewing, machines, and the capability to create also women dresses, wedding dresses and also sicilian traditional folk costumes. The thing we couldn’t afford is a pattern making software like Lectra ones (or Investronica). For this reason I started to use Valentina and Seamly 2D in an attempt to digitalize our know how in that beautiful art which is bespoke tailoring. If you want to see some of our works you can go to https://www.instagram.com/sartoria.giuseppelavore/

4 Likes

@luca_lavore I see that your work is truly excellent. Thank you for joining us here in the forum and we hope that you will come by periodically and discuss ideas

2 Likes

thank you all to keep alive this forum and this software

1 Like

I was just browsing your site and I’m totally amazed at what your family’s Atelier do. It is totally humbling. Thank you for sharing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi I’m Emmanuel from Philippines…Gladly found this program and hopefully will master most of the tools and its features…I’m also new to clothing business like 2 years :sweat_smile: …on and off sewing so would be long way to go :drooling_face: …been reading from this forum and it helps me a lot on clarifying things… Cheers :hugs:

4 Likes

Hi and welcome, @Emman. If you have any problems, please don’t hesitate to ask. There is a very helpful and growing wiki that can be accessed through the ‘User Manual’ link at the top of this page which includes some amazing getting started videos.

1 Like

Thank You @Grace…the “user manual” in wiki is very helpful indeed

2 Likes

Hi Emman! Welcome to the forum! Let us know how this software helps with your business – this lets us prioritize development and learn from you too!

2 Likes

Hi, I joined the other day, my name is Julia and I am from Leicestershire in England. I am 60 years young, and have been sewing since I was 7 years old. I have 5 Sewing Machines, 1 Sewing/Embroidery machine, 1 Embroidery machine and an Overlocker, so yes I enjoy sewing.

I hope that I am the sort of person you hope to get on here, as I want to learn about the software, I am only 5ft tall, so I do not conform to normal “High Street” patterns for dressmaking, let lone the clothes that stores are selling, normal garments swamp me, and as for flattering any figure I have left, they just make me look like I am wearing a tent.

I have been reading lots of posts on here, and at present I am not sure what I can bring to you all, except my years of experience with making many various garments, including Evening Gowns and Wedding dresses. I also want to make garments for my husband, who I care for 24/7.

I just need now to get practising with the software, I have Valentina installed on my MacBook Pro, but may also install Seamly software on my Windows laptop as well, as I’m not sure what to do with tar.gz files - yet. I’m no newbie to the Internet, as I have been online since 1998, just Mac is quite new to me. Please be kind with helpful ideas, I don’t bite - well not often and only then when I can find my teeth. :smile:

3 Likes

@PandaUK, welcome! you are the sort of person we welcome on this forum. Please feel free to ask questions.

I can give you some advice that I hope will speed up your start to use the software. You need not do anything with tar.gz files. You can go to the website at https://seamly.net and click on the icons to download the Mac version or the Windows version, or both. On a linux system, you would probably have a problem if you tried to run both Seamly2D and Valentina. On both the Mac and Windows systems, you are able to install both and they should co-exist.

The person who developed the C++ code which implements the Valentina system chose to separate from the community who supports this (Seamly2D) forum and the Seamly2D software. There are major similarities between the Valentena and Seamly2D right now (March 2019). There are also some differences and I for one am not prepared to discuss or explain them. As time goes on, it is almost certain that Valentina and Seamly2D will become more different than they are now.

That said, I hope you will find this forum a friendly group and if you have questions about how to use the Seamly2D software works, please ask.

Also feel free to use the search facility of this forum and the wiki to find documentation on Seamly2D and how to use it. The wiki can be found at https://wiki.valentinaproject.org/wiki/Main_Page As you can see, the name “valentina” is till used in the name of the wiki. This will change.

1 Like

Hi @PandaUK! Welcome, this article may help you install tar.gz files on your Mac book:

What Do You Do With Those .tar.gz Files Anyway? – The Mac Observer

1 Like

did I just show my ignorance about all things Mac, or did I ? :wink:

1 Like