Intersections

bonjour à tous et félicitations aux concepteurs. pour ce bel outil gratuit . questions bête sans doute. pourquoi faut il désigner les intersections ?

merci par avance de votre aide

2 Likes

Welcome! We’re glad to have you here!

GT: Bienvenue! Nous sommes heureux de vous avoir ici!

Unfortunately, I’m not confident that I know what you’re asking about. Is it the “Point at line intersection” tool in the “Line” toolbox?

GT: Malheureusement, je ne suis pas sûr de savoir de quoi vous parlez. S’agit-il de l’outil “Point à l’intersection de ligne” dans la boîte à outils “Ligne”?

Pointal'intersection

If so, I have tried it a little bit without complete satisfaction, but @Grace can probably give an intelligent answer.

GT: Si c’est le cas, je l’ai essayé un peu sans aucune satisfaction, mais @Grace peut probablement donner une réponse intelligente.

2 Likes

If I understand the question correctly… points of intersection are not automatically created. Each point has a tool associated with it that allows that point to be recreated when a saved pattern is reloaded.

It is also a resource thing… there is no use wasting processor time to parse the pattern doc and file everytime a screen update is required to find every instance of 2 lines intersecting. It only makes sense to parse the intersection points created by a tool.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome, @corinneduberga

If I am reading your question correctly, I think you are asking about ‘why we need to make nodes to work from.’

As @Douglas said, they are required so that they can be saved so that you don’t need to recreate your pattern every time you want to work on it.

Seamly2D is a very versatile program that can be used to make any type of pattern using lines and curves, and the nodes are what you use to ‘grow’ your pattern. So when you start a new pattern, you only have ‘A’ node. From it, you will create another node ‘A1’, which is at a certain distance from ‘A’. And then you may need to create another node - ‘A2’ - at a certain distance from ‘A1’ and join the 2 nodes with a curve. And later you may need to place a node at the intersection where 2 lines cross over each other.

It all depends on what you a creating and what nodes you need to achieve the design. We have all sorts of tools, we only need to find the one that will do what we want to do.

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like