Install Issues on Linux

Hi folks,

Having an issue installing on Linux. I get the following error:

:~$ sudo aptitude install seamly2d The following NEW packages will be installed: seamly2d{b} 0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded. Need to get 3,477 kB of archives. After unpacking 73.3 MB will be used. The following packages have unmet dependencies: seamly2d : Depends: xpdf which is a virtual package and is not provided by any available package

valentina : Conflicts: seamly2d but 0.6.0.1ubuntu1-0~202004231901~ubuntu20.04.1 is to be installed The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Keep the following packages at their current version:
  1. seamly2d [Not Installed]                           

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]

It looks like there is an issue with xpdf, I’ve tried installing this separately but no luck, I’m new to linux, and running it on an old laptop because of limited processing power.

I’ve managed to install Valentina as a temporary fix, but I want Seamly going forwards.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forum! Have you tried the AppImage linked on the front page? If it works, that’s the easiest solution. The whole thing is self-contained. You might have to run chmod +x Seamly2D.AppImage to be able to run it, but I think that’s been fixed in recent releases.

Here’s the releases listing: Releases · GitHub

If that doesn’t help, just say the word, we’re happy to help get it figured out!

:unicorn:

1 Like

Great, the appimage runs, thank you. No need for the chmod. I can just double click it from my file explorer.

What is the difference between Valentina and Seamly? Seamly seems to have more design tools up front and centre.

I am a long time Solidworks (Engineering CAD software) user, but totally new to sewing and pattern design.

I’ve tried drawing some basic shapes but it’s slightly unintuitive (to me!) here and there, and I’m not sure of best practices or design principles/techniques.

Guess I’ve got some learning to do.

Thanks!

3 Likes

I can’t seem to make the program fullscreen or drag the edges to change the size sufficiently. It is overhanging the screen vertically and I cant make it small enough to fit within the screen boundary, or fullscreen to fit.

3 Likes

At this point, not a whole lot, they are branches of the same project, & haven’t diverged very far yet. @slspencer could correct me if I’m wrong, but my perception is that the lead dev of Valentina preferred to be the only dev of Valentina, & exerted his ability to scare away other devs so far as to keep this branch solitary as well for several years. After working with Valentina, Seamly, & his own private branch for several years, @Douglas saw that Seamly was attempting to continue, &, rather than try to market his own branch, thought it best to throw his hat in with Seamly, since he is welcome here.

There are a couple minor features which Valentina has which are still in our pipeline, but as you noticed Seamly’s GUI has already surpassed Valentina’s, but most getting-started tutorials are usable by either.

That’s where we all started! It does take a bit of getting used to the idea of everything being based off of one particular point, but that’s what makes the parametric system so strong for re-sizing, so it’s worth the steep learning-curve to start! There’s a list of tutorials on the main page of the Seamly wiki: here

hmm, I think the default size was recently increased. Since you can’t reach the frame to adjust it, I’m afraid one of the devs (@slspencer or @Douglas) is going to have to help with this one.

:unicorn:

2 Likes

I completely understand… one of my backgrounds is in civil engineering and use of CAD programs.

While there are some similarities between Seamly2D and other CAD programs, Seamly2D differs in that it is parametric in nature where you can use variables and measurements in formulas to create the various tools - points, lines, curves, etc. The thing to keep in mind that every object - except a block’s starting base point - will have a parent. Every tool will always trace back to the base point. In other words, objects are not created in an XY space… they’re created from a point of and existing tool.

The main concept is you first have to draft blocks which you can then create pattern pieces which you can then add details (seam allowance, notches, internal paths, etc) to a piece. Once pieces are created you can create a print layout.

May I suggest this video as a starting point to get started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmnUzSJkZss

Can you post a screen cap of the issue… it will help me to identify any issue.

2 Likes

I am also having this issue. I am able to adjust the sides but not the top or bottom of the screen layout. also if I go into full screen mode initially it will fit the screen but as soon as I use any of the tools it goes back to it’s default size (the vertical overhang). Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hello and welcome, @Buddug

I seem to recall that there was a post (quite a while back) that mentioned that the computer screen settings needed to be set to certain dimensions, and if the screen was set to higher or lower dimensions, this became an issue.

Perhaps this topic will help: Can't see full pattern piece window - #4 by Douglas