Inputting Own Pattern by digitising

Can you input your own patterns into seamly ? By digitising or scanning?

2 Likes

Hi! Thanks for showing an interest in Seamly!

The short answer is that, yes, it is absolutely possible to hand-digitize your patterns! The pattern files Seamly uses are scripted in XML.

So, perhaps the answer is that no, you have to input your pattern mathematically by hand. but once you have done that correctly, the sky is your oyster, you can print it off for anyone’s personal measurements, (or use a multi-size measurements file,) & know that it shan’t require significant alteration.

& we would love for you to help us explore the very best ways to input patterns correctly! :slight_smile:

A more experienced user will have to give you the long answer.

1 Like

@Pneumarian I really liked your answer. You made the most important point that needs to be understood. The pattern needs to be based on FORMULAS, CALCULATIONS and MEASUREMENTS. There are many books on different patternmaking systems. This is not an exhaustive list: https://wiki.valentinaproject.org/wiki/UserManual:Patternmaking_References

I confess that many times I have simply looked at a commercial pattern or even an existing garment and made a guess, sewed up the resulting pattern out of scraps or old sheets, then repeated until I got a paper pattern that works. That process cannot be taught, is time consuming, and requires access to a dress dummy or the person during the fitting, so is possibly not what most people want.

Here (https://wiki.valentinaproject.org/wiki/Sleeve_Block,_McCunn_System#Formulas) is an old tutorial that I wrote that shows some of the basic principles on the example of creating a sleeve pattern using the method documented in books (and on line classes and ebooks and video) from the author of the first method I studied when I started trying to understand patternmaking. That tutorial is no longer available from the “User Manual” wiki above and the tutorial needs updating in a few minor things. References to a program called “Tape” should be replaced by the program called “SeamlyME”. The method I used for shaping the curve in the sleeve cap is an imperfect way to implement McCunn’s method using the Seamly Tool. Once you are comfortable with the basics, try looking elsewhere on this forum for references to curve shaping. There are ways to do that which provide much improvement over my initial attempt.

There is such a huge amount that I do not know, but I have learned enough to decide that the approach used in the Seamly2d software is well worth the effort to use.

Many others on the forum use other systems, documented in other books. @Grace has a significant amount of tutorial information using several different systems.

Please feel free to keep asking questions. There is usually somebody who can help.

3 Likes

One more thought.

You’ve probably gathered this from our previous replies, but if you were asking if you can input your own patterns as opposed to the programs, (like Dress Shop,) which prevent you from even playing with their presented patterns, then YES!! Absolutely!!!

Though some patterns are available, (there is a website, my-pattern.cloud, for storing & sharing your patterns online,) none come with the program at this time, because Seamly is intended for you to be able to draft whatever pattern you, (or your clients,) want to make.

2 Likes

digitising - No and scanning - No.

Seamly does not work like standard garment CAD programs. It is parametric and you have to define points using the various tools with associated formulas, and if you want the pattern to adapt to different sizes you need to incorporate measurements / increments from the SeamlyMe into to the formulas.

That said… I figured out a way to take an existing pattern, and using the various tools to place the grade points in the proper X-Y pos, and then using standard Wolf dress form sizes I can do a standard 2" grade up or down. I presented several patterns done this way in another thread you may find useful.

3 Likes