Initial template work for Knowles, women

this is a pdf file of a first stab at mapping the measurements from Lori Knowles book on pattern design for fashion designers (juniors, misses,women). please feel free to comment. I especially want input from @slspencer, @Grace, and @MrDoo who have all expressed interest in this topic LoriKnowles-women-template.pdf (19.0 KB)

2 Likes

Wow thanks @kmf! I’ll review it today.

2 Likes

@kmf,

I don’t have a copy of the Lori Knowles book, so I can only check these by the discriptions.

Number 57) ‘Knee level to ankle’ level might map to A21 ‘height_knee_to_ankle’.

Are numbers 18) and 19) the right way around (remember I’m only going on the description, presumably there is an illustration in the book that makes this clear?

Is it a book you’d recommend? (And, is it ISBN 1563673282 ?)

Happy to put this mapping into the system - I think I have a couple of missing images.

1 Like

Number 57) ‘Knee level to ankle’ level might map to A21 ‘height_knee_to_ankle’.

Good catch. I agree with you, it does.

I double checked 18 and 19 and believe that what I decided is consistent with the illustrations from the book.

The ISBN is indeed 1563673282 . I ordered from Amazon US and I had to return two incorrectly shipped copies that were hardbound. The one I wanted was spiral bound which the paperwork on the two incorrect ones said it was. I finally ordered a used book to get the spiral bound copy.

Yes, I would recommend the book. I have not studied it extensively yet, but here is the table of contents

What images are you missing and may I be of assistance in getting them for you?

1 Like

@kmf I bought the book. Thats the most comprehensive set of measurement instructions I’ve seen! I’ve entered the mapping into the website, and made the following observations…

1. changed to G05 instead of G06, ‘directly under the bust mound’.
  2. changed to G18 from G10
  3. not clear that I04/2 is correct, G19 may be close?
  4. should be it be G21? “directly under bust mound”
  5. typo? should be I13 not J13
  6. changed to I11 instead of I10.
  7. changed to I09/2. But could be G35?
  8. changed to K10 from K08.
  9. changed to K13 from K11.
  10. changed to J03
  11. changed to L03 from L07
  12. changed to L04 from L13
  13. now A21
  14. changed to M11 from E03 but foot position differs

Please let me know which of the above you disagree with, I’m sure you have far more experience with this than me.

1 Like

@kmf, on page 352 there are some additional measurements for contoured styles. Some of these match existing measurements, but there are pairs of measurements straight and against body. I’m not sure how to match these.

1. Bustpoint_to_shoulder_center - following contours - J10 ???
  2. Bustpoint_to_shoulder_center - straight - J10
  3. Bustpoint to waist - following contours - J04 ???
  4. Bustpoint to waist - straight - J04
  5. CF neck to mid bust against body - H09 ???
  6. Centre bust (against body) to waist - H10 ???
  7. Bustpoint to bust edge - ???
  8. Bustpoint to c.f. bust following contours - J05
1 Like

@MrDoo you have obviously read farther into the book and in greater detail than have I. I will take a look. This discussion may need to involve @slspencer because I, too, had a few questions about the exact mapping of the measurements described into the book to those in the Seamly2d known list. I am not sure whether it is best to pick the closest one or (if it is even possible) to resolve the differences among the various pattern drafting methods.

1 Like

Definitely a question for @slspencer. 60, 62, 64-67 all seem like they need new measurement codes, and an understanding of whether J10, J4, H9, H10 etc. are straight line measurements or following contours. 66 doesn’t seem to be catered for by any existing measurements. Is there a process to follow to check that these are not already catered for an assign them codes?

1 Like