Increments

Hi !! I would like to know what they are and how the increments are used. I have tried to use them and I don’t get it. I don’t know if the translation of increments into Spanish is correct and that’s why I don’t understand. Thanks a lot

Hola !! Me gustaría saber qué son y cómo se utilizan los incrementos. he intendo usarlos y no lo consigo ¿Hay algún ejemplo? No sé si la traducción de incrementos al español es correcta y por eso no entiendo. Muchas gracias

1 Like

Hi @MarianaSanchez,

Increments are really very handy. You can use them instead of a measurement file, if you wish, but then you will need to create an increment for each and every measurement area.

I use them especially for Ease. This way, I can take a pattern made from woven cotton fabric where I would normally have an over all ease of perhaps 5cm and change it to a pattern that I want to make using stretch fabric with a negative ease, just by changing the value of the ease and perhaps making a few changes to the pattern.

It can sometimes be difficult because if an item appears later in the list, it may revert to 0 or error. So my suggestion is to stay with set values or calculations, rather than using line/curve lengths or angles, and try to stay away from formulas using measurement file items. You can add, subtract, multiply or divide and you can use the mathematical functions with confidence :slight_smile:

While you are making your pattern, you can add items from the increments to measurements or line/curve lengths in formulas:

The other tabs are a record (or look-up table) of various things already created in the pattern, like line/curve lengths and angles.

I hope this will clear it up for you :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Grace Thanks a lot!! I’m going to try to make some pattern using increments to try!

1 Like

@Grace To use the same pattern with different fabrics, create two different measurement tables, one with complete measurements for flat fabrics, another with reduced measures according to the percentage of fabric stretch. I open the employer and charge the measures as necessary. I made sure to use the same nomenclature in the two measurement tables !!

1 Like

I would just use an extra increment for the Ease and use it in a formula where I need it.

Here is an example of how I use Ease: (((highbust_circ/2)+#Ease)/4)+2

So you have your normal measurement. This needs to remain true to the actual measurement taken from the person for other patterns using different fabrics - you may want to use denim fabric with very little stretch in the next garment and need to add 3cm ease instead of the negative ease for high stretch gym clothes. Then you have your Ease element which you add or subtract from the measurement in the formula and then you have what you want to do with it.

So once you have entered your measurements, they don’t change. You’re only creating more elements that can go wrong. You may accidentally take the actual measurement instead of the one that you’ve taken the ease off and when you do notice the error - normally when you have cut out the fabric and have sewn up your test garment - it will take you hours to find where you went wrong and correct it, not to mention the waste of the test garments fabrics, sewing time, thread, etc. etc.

As I mentioned before, it is always better to create your measurements in SeamlyME and only use the increments for garment specific things like Ease. This way, you can use a persons unique measurement file to draft any garment for them (Blouses, dresses, skirts, trousers, underwear, etc.), simply by changing the measurements file in Seamly2D and adding a few things to your basic patterns.

If you are having problems with SeamlyME, you can check out my blog which has my Youtube videos embedded in them. You can right-click on the page and translate it to any language that you prefer. :slight_smile: (You can do that here, too.)

3 Likes

Thank you very much, I could understand the functionality of the increments !! I will watch the videos. !

1 Like

So that’s how you use the increments. I been using a measurement called @NegHEase and @NegVEase in my measurements. Thanks for the Tip

2 Likes

Hi @Shrymp, that works, too :slight_smile: I just use increments for it because it’s attached to the pattern and changes with fabric type. But it’s a choice where you’d like to put it :slight_smile:

Same with the measurements, I just find my way a lot easier for me :slight_smile:

Thank you for showing this!! It is a brilliant option for adding ease to garments.

2 Likes

Hello, What is the difference between increments and preview calculations?

Thanks,

2 Likes

“Increments” have recently been renamed to “variables” in the English, if that helps.

:unicorn:

2 Likes

ok but what is it? what is this for?

2 Likes

Variables (formerly known as increments) can be used to provide a constant or custom value with a given name. Grace used the example of using the variable #ease (variables are prefixed with a hash) … let’s say you create a pattern and you want to add a 2" ease to certain measurements. Like bust + 2, waist + 2, hips + 2… so for ex: everywhere you use bust you would need to add + 2 in the formulas. Let’s say down the road you want to use the same pattern, but now want a 3" ease… well now you would have to edit ALL your formulas to + 3. By creating the variable #ease you can use in the formulas bust + #ease, waist + #ease, etc… and if you want to change the ease in the future you only have to change the “value” of the #ease variable, and not all the formulas. That’s just one example.

You could also for example create a #scale variable and multiply all your formulas by #scale… and you could use #scale = 100 to make a garment for yourself and then say #scale = 10 to make the same garment for a doll at 10 % of the size.

7 Likes

Thank you very much for these explanations, it’s still complicated for me but i hope to know how to do it soon.

2 Likes

Understood. The increments threw me off at first too. Maybe Grace has a pattern using an ease variable that you could play with to help understand what the variables do? I find it’s always easier when you have an example to work with. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hola, @Douglas No sabia nada de esto. Esta muy bien. Gracias por la información. Lo aplicaré ya que he pasado todo ese trabajo que describes, por no saber que existe esta opción de las variables. Este Foro es una Joya. Gracias :ok_hand:

I did not know anything about this. It’s very good. Thanks for the info. I will apply it since I have passed all that work that you describe, for not knowing that this option of variables exists. This Forum is a Jewel. Thank you

2 Likes

Me encantaría que @Grace compartiera algo así. Para saber como seria. :pray:

I would love for @Grace to share something like that. To know how it would be.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to the Seamly2d Forum, @Damay

I’ll have a look this evening for something that you could play with.

But I also use the Variables for all sorts of ‘extra’ measurements and constant formulas that are needed in a pattern (depending on the pattern making system used). that are impractical to add to the measurement file (SeamlyMe).

I’m busy writing up a bit of a tutorial on how I use the measurements, because I think that there are a few people who may like to know :slight_smile: and I think I’ll follow it up with a tutorial on the Variables, since (to me) they’re so closely related.

Anyway, I’ll check tonight after work for something and let every one know when my tutorial/explanation is done.

:grin:

4 Likes

Hi again,

Here is a very basic bodice that I was working on a while back and haven’t really finished:

Aldirch Variables pattern.val (18.6 KB) measurements.vst (1.2 KB)

In the Variables, you will see some formulas that I use over and over that are size related. I find that these are really handy when using a multisize measurements table.

I think it will give both you and @Douglas some ideas :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Muchas Gracias @Grace, recién estoy empezando a usar ese sistema de patronaje, pero para los niños de 0 a 14 años. Así que creo que entenderé. De ese sistema tengo solo el de los niños y el de las mujeres, en pdf, esta en inglés pero uso Google Traductor, y lo entiendo. Gracias por compartir. Saludos

Thank you very much @Grace, I am just starting to use that pattern system, but for children from 0 to 14 years old. So I think I will understand. From that system I have only the children and the women, in pdf, it is in English but I use Google Translator, and I understand it. Thanks for sharing. Cheers

2 Likes