Increment & custom variable

This will inform the programmer of what changes to make, and gives us an opportunity to go about this in an organized and consistent manner.

In programming, variables are frequently created from formulas, so variables is the correct term.

In this example, ease is a variable. It can be used later on in the pattern, or program. It can be stored in a variables table for use in formulas throughout the pattern.

• ease = 0.07*bust_circ
1 Like

@Grace has worked with multisize in the TAPE program and may be able to help answer some questions for you. She and I were working on some tutorials together but I only learned enough to do the things I was working on (theater costumes to fit many individuals and writing tutorials on the McCunn pattern making system). I ignored the multisize capability and used separate individual measurement files. There is a lot I don’t know yet and I ran away in a cruise ship and won’t be on the forum or doing anything useful with seamly until late December. I paid for phone service today in Malta so my husband will be able to use my phone as a hotspot so I couldn’t resist dropping by the forum while he checks his email

Are some or all of the “bad word choices” a product of computer based translation?

I assume so @kmf , most of us aren’t english native speaker. I barely know the technical terms in french/german, let alone english! I guess some terms were translated a bit too literally from the user’s/developer’s mother tongue.

1 Like

@kmf Some of them are based on lack of understanding of the feature being implemented, and an unwillingness to accept information from others.

I’m not too sure what the question is, but I’ve compartmentalized my thinking on Tape vs Variables (Increments). And Multisizes vs Individual sizes…

Any measurement that is unique to the pattern goes into Variables because they may appear while I’m creating the pattern and aren’t measured for before I start. So whether it’s for a handbag or a dress, this rule applies for me.

And then… I’ve created a series of Multisize files that I use to actually draft in. That way, I can check how the article will resize as I work. I test the with various sizes within the range of sizes to see that the curves are behaving as they should, etc. etc. Once I have my pattern made, I load up the Individual size that I measured from the person, check it again and then print the pattern and make the article.

I’ve done this with a few articles and, since I’m only a home sewer, it has worked very well for me :wink: The latest is a shirt for my husband which he is thrilled with.

For smaller articles, like a purse, I just use Variables since there are often only 1 or 2 measurements. However, if you are in the handbag business, I’d make a Tape file of custom measurements that would be needed over and over. That way, you can have your basic measurements for the type of handbag to load up at the start of each pattern and won’t have to do it over and over.

Ok, so as far as I understand you have variables and measurements and don’t really use the term increments as well.

That’s the way I see it, too, because increment for me is “do this and next time you do this count one step up before”. This might perhaps occur in multi-size pattern; I do only make patterns for myself and my family so I don’t know.

The only thing you didn’t mention are variables that used over and over in different patterns, but can differ from the numbers - I can make a corset out of a basic bodice with no ease unto a wide jacket, following the same steps in construction, using the same formulas but just taking different eases; there are different sets of eases like @slspencer has linked here . Out of this bodice I will evolve garments, like dresses, t-shirts, blouses and so on with maybe different formulas in there and really pattern-related variables.

As fas as I see we work with two to three kinds of placeholders:

1. measurements: are taken from the body (also if it’s a bag), alter from customer to customer, are customer-specific. Those go in Tape /SeamlyMe

2. first type of variables: are for patterns, but can used for a wide range of patterns, like ease (actually I call such numbers constants, but one could use variables, too - I never understood why they should have two names anyways, because a constant is just a variable without calculation). Those I do in the variables table right now.

3. second type of variables: measurements taken while construction from the pattern, like length of armhole for the sleeve, features of the garment like garment length, widths of darts and so on; those are really pattern-specific. Those go in the variables table.

2 Likes

@moniaqua These are precisely the three types of data that we work with. Currently:

type 1 (measurements) are stored in .vit and .vst files. type 2 (pattern variables useful in multiple patterns) are stored in patterns as increments type 3 (pattern variables useful for a specific pattern) are stored in patterns as increments

1 Like

If these variables are used over and over in different patterns, I’d suggest creating a custom measurement for it in Tape because I use one standard Tape/SeamlyMe model so that I don’t have to re-create the wheel each time I create a set of measurements for a person. I use a previous set of measurements and change the values for a new set of measurements. I’ve been working from the Aldrich book and have typed up a spreadsheet with the 20 different points to be measured which she uses in all her blocks. It would be very easy to add a few custom items to it.

I really try to put as much as possible into the Tape/SeamlyMe - even the darts - to keep the pattern drafting area as ‘clean’ as possible, but it really is a personal choice as to where you’d like the measurements, variables and increments to be. What makes it easier for you when you are drafting a pattern? You can even draft the pattern directly off your measurements without attaching a measurement file or using the Increments/Variables.

Increments/Variables, or whatever you wish to call it, is only a name for the section where you can find all the different lengths of line or curve, angles, etc. which also provides extra space for additional items that one may need often while creating a pattern. The way that you have compartmentalized the different areas are perfect for you, there are no right or wrong ways.

On the pattern cloud, I have uploaded an ‘Easy fitting blouse’ pattern with a measurements file (.vit) that you are very welcome to download and inspect or use as you wish. Perhaps it will help you to see how I do things.

Only if these are created by shareable scripts written by users for the specifics they need. Otherwise we’ll end up with thousands of custom measurements in Tape.

This is the problem that the pattern system templates were supposed to address. The current pattern system templates were supposed to be scripts that we provide to let people come up to speed quickly using patternmaking books. And they weren’t intended to bloat the translation system they way they currently do. I used the term ‘template’ because the programmer didn’t understand what I meant by ‘script’. So they’re currently called templates. This whole system will be wiped away and replaced. So I appreciate this discussion, it lets me know that yes, the current pattern system template should be replaced, and the ‘increments’ area renamed to variables and more precisely defined.

1 Like

Hmm. I found an easy fitting bodice, is it that one? There are no variables/increments at all in the variables table and two custom measurements in the vit. At least, they should be, the pattern asked for them :slight_smile: I hat to take out the part with “gradation” though; my Valentina didn’t like it, there came an error message.

Only, if I use it in Tape, I can’t use them for a different person. Ease doesn’t change on a different size or person for the same pattern, it depends on the pattern. Still I use it in different patterns - I might want to make a body with no ease, than a “Dirndl”, than a corset - they all have the same set of eases but are different patterns. And than I might want to do those patterns for Ms. X who is size 10, Ms. Y with a slim 6 and Ms. Z with size 16.

Yes, I see that; I do that for patterns. I also have my basic bodice pattern and just save it under a different name if I want to create a for example blouse. It’s only, if I have the things like ease in Tape, and the classes are altered at some point, I would have to change the numbers in every single measurements-file for every single customer. Ok, I don’t know how many pattern-related general variables occur, probably it is not that bad, else it would already have shown.

1 Like

Do you mean you actually just wanted to ask (a translation table) how this or that measurement is called in the system the user works and now all is made with whole patterns as templates, so the whole set of measurements is saved in a Tape-file-template for every system?

Yes. Actually it would work like this:

1. Users can create their own templates, which lets them create their favorite measurements they need from existing measurement files.
  2. The software can be distributed with templates which lets them quickly create patterns according to pattern books.

The downside: A pattern created with a template will need that template to run. So if it’s a user created template it has to be embedded in the pattern in the definition section at the top of the XML file.

Has anybody considered the possibility of allowing multiple.vit files or of creating a new file type to hold the custom variables that are not specific to an individual or a pattern, but are instead a design choice. Some examples would be “ease” used to turn the same basic fitting bodice into a corset or a blouse or a coat or a ball gown… Another example would be pocket placement as in “x” cm from the center and 'y" cm below the waist line. I don’t even pretend to know all the ways this class of placeholder could be used but does anyone else see a need to have a place to hold reusable “bunches” of values that are not specific to one pattern or one individual? Talk amongst yourselves… I have unlimited internet for another 2 hours then back in the isolation booth as I sail back from Portugal to Florida

1 Like

Yes, these would be the scripts. When you create a pattern, you (in future) would select a script from your list of favorited scripts to create these variables in your pattern. The pattern would contain a link back to the script. For custom scripts, the script would be included in the upload to the pattern share. For patternmaking system scripts, they would be part of the software distribution no need to duplicate them when sharing the pattern.

This method of scripts prevents undue proliferation of duplicate scripts while enabing users to create their own special sauce. It also opens the way towards other types of extensions, beyond just creating variables, which could add the ability to match up pieces and parts (collars, sleeves) to create new patterns.

2 Likes

Ooooh, it sounds really exciting :slight_smile:

Instead of making a wiki list of bad words… I would be willing to produce an outline of all the bad words, grammar, logic that should be changed in the GUI menus, widgets, dialog popups etc. Frankly I find it all a bit schizophrenic.

1 Like

Yes please organize the list of bad words in whatever way you think is easy to read, and start it on the wiki.

I don’t remember who, but someone started it already in the glossary: https://wiki.valentinaproject.org/wiki/Glossary