How to use the measurement of a second piece of pattern in the first one

I’m not sure I’m really clear in my title. I use Winifred Aldrich book to draw a bathrobe pattern for my grand-daughters. (I’m new to pattern drafting and Seamly2D use too).

It was quite easy to follow the instructions to draw the flat body block and the sleeve block. What I’m missing is that : at the end a point on the sleeve cap is the pitch point and I have to mark a similar pitch point to the front and back body harmholes.

I have created a new pattern piece for the sleeve block after the pattern piece for the body block.

So for the pitch points it’s written : " Measure the distance 3-6 (on the sleeve block pattern). Measure along the armhole for the body sections the same distance"

As I was constructing the sleeve blocks, I could find in the formula wizard all the lenghts I wanted from the body block, but I can’t find any measurement from the sleeve block when I’m back in the body block piece of pattern. I have found a work around by entering a number for that data, but what if this lenght changes ? I would have to recalculate that lenght and change it manually in the body block.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

The curve length measurements can be found if you use the f(x) icon to search for Length of Curves:

Use the search field to enter one of the points on the curve to find all curves that use the point, select a curve to enter it into the formula field at the top of the popup window, click OK:

1 Like

I’m sorry to say that I can’t find what I’m looking for Here’s what my flat body block looks

The B6 point on the sleeve piece is the pitch point I must report on the A15-A8 and A18-A8 curves. (named here n1 and n2) As you can see, I have only access to the curves lenghts that are on the body block and none of the curves that are on the sleeve block… That’s why I asked how to do. I suppose I’m not doing what I should…

2 Likes

In order to prevent the possibility of an infinite recursion, (basically software cancer proliferating in your computer’s memory,) it is not possible to use future lengths for past measurements (X=X+2.) There does appear to be a way to edit your History, (at great risk to destroying your pattern,) which @Grace seems to be familiar with, (I have yet to figure it out,) which she posted about here:

Your best bet may be to make the armscye of the bodice after making the sleeve. :unicorn:

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll keep to my workaround :rofl: It seems way much easier :rofl: I can’t make the body block after the sleeve block either as I need body block lenght to input in my sleeve block :crazy_face: Once you know you have to do that way, no pb, I just thought I had missed something :wink:

2 Likes

Hi, by hovering your cursor over the curve, you can see it’s length, then you can hard-code the length into the pattern at N1 or N2:

Another way to see the length of a curve is in the Variables Table - Menu > Measurements > Variables Table > Length of Curves:

1 Like

I did it the second way you explained as it’s not the entire curve lenght that I need but a segment. So I used the measurement table to input manually the lenght I needed :wink:

Thanks a lot for your explanations.

3 Likes

Wonderful, @Vice-Versa. I’m happy it worked :slight_smile: