How to Systematically Adopt Best Practices w/ Valentina?

I’ve immersed myself in Valentina. I’ve studied the documentation and tutorial videos, I’ve built the application from source, and have drafted several practice patterns. I’ve learned quite a bit and have become relatively comfortable with the program.

I’m very enthusiastic about Valentina and intend to fully commit to it as my primary pattern-making tool. However, I am currently harboring fears and insecurities about whether or not I’m truly using the software and all its features to their fullest.

I imagine there are others who share these concerns. To alleviate them, I’m wondering if we can set up some sort of system or curriculum wherein we check each other’s work? Any thoughts?

For the health of the community it might be best if we create a no-cost or low-cost training, but I’d personally be happy to pay for training/consulting. Please advise.

Hi @rsskga,

Yes, i also see training as very important part, but it restricted to place where you live. The second possible way is to use internet (skype or youtube). The third possible way is to teach someone. As we say want to learn something try to explain it for someone else.:slight_smile:

As to training courses i heard that in one or two places they already exist. @slpencer knows more than i about this.

We could make a book. For example like git’s community did.

Or work on Wiki. This is even better for me. Wiki specially designed for this. For sharing knowledge about project. It also can be translated.

I could arrange a training sessions.

What could be the form? Could it be useful? Any comments ?

I think a book works well for Git because the instructions largely consist of command line code. Since Valentina is a more visual tool, perhaps video is best?

Prerequisites seem to be:

1. the trainer and trainee would need access to the same original drafting instructions
  2. the trainee should write out his/her goals for the training session
  3. depending on #2, either the trainer could record a “how-to” video or the trainee could record a video and ask the trainer to critique the tools and techniques used
  4. if the trainer passes the trainee with a good grade, the video could be shared with the community as a worthwhile tutorial

Does this make sense?

I am willing to contribute to a book for Git. Personally, I have trouble with utube videos as a learning tool. Written step by step instructions are easier for me.

Because I am willing to figure things out on my own, I am also willing to write some of the step by step instructions. I am posting here because I want to make sure to build on and contribute to any ongoing effort and not go off on my own in some random direction. @rsskga @Stinde @dismine @slpencer

Git? What do you mean?:slight_smile:

I have the same feelings.

I was respnding to what you said several months ago. I misused the term “git” as now I see that you were referring to what the git community did on Wiki.

[quote=“dismine, post:2, topic:670”] We could make a book. For example like git’s community did.

Or work on Wiki. This is even better for me. Wiki specially designed for this. For sharing knowledge about project. It also can be translated. [/quote]

First we need to have at least Wiki.

I want to make sure to build on and contribute to any ongoing effort and not go off on my own in some random direction.

You just answered the question that I meant to ask.

First we need to have at least Wiki.

I understand. Thank you.

Wiki’s down at the moment, probably for a day or two. We have had some difficulty with getting a new SSL certificate. By “WE” I mean “ME”.

ok, then perhaps I did NOT understand. I just read back to the beginning of this thread. Yesterday I said

I am willing to contribute to a book for Git. Personally, I have trouble with utube videos as a learning tool. Written step by step instructions are easier for me.

Because I am willing to figure things out on my own, I am also willing to write some of the step by step instructions. I am posting here because I want to make sure to build on and contribute to any ongoing effort and not go off on my own in some random direction.

then @dismine attempted to answer what he thought I asked. this was confused in part because I mistook the reference to “Git” (I had no clue what “Git” meant).

my take away from this whole thread is

1. we all agree that creating training is GOOD
  2. different people prefer either video or step by step instructions
  3. the valentina wiki is temporarily down
  4. I am willing to create “some” step by step instructions as I learn to do some things
  5. wiki is probably the best place for this
  6. ??? can someone tell me where to add instructions, or will it become apparent once wiki is back???

It will be apparent when the wiki is back online.

2 Likes