How to create a waist facing for a skirt

skirt
patterns
facing

Hallo ich have finished now my first piece a basic skirt. Now i would like to add a part called “waist facing” for the skirt, this shoud mirror the waist-line, but without the darts. This part should mirror the waist-line in a distance of perhaps of 10cm above the waist-line and later should be a separate detail. At the moment i have no idea how to creat such a detail. I think it´s possible because it is often used by skirts or trousers. Thanks in advance Helga

Hi @Helga. I quickly did a ‘skirt’ to try and see if I could help you. I then rotated 3 points to close the dart using the rotation tool. I drew the lines and curves in blue to distinguish the newly created lines from the main pattern: image

I’m not too sure why you would mirror this 10cm above the waist-line, but I used the Flipping Objects by Line tool to do this: image

Here’s the file if it will help :slight_smile:

skirt question.val (4.8 KB)

No .vit file needed

@Grace - thanks for this post! Would you recommend joining the original and flipped facing pieces in Detail mode to make a single facing?

I’ve done skirts with a facing, but more often than not with a waistband… while any high waist pants - like Jitterbug, Zoot Suit, or turn of the century period - they’ll have a facing which is ironically referred to as a skirt. :slight_smile:

Until the top of the waistline is fixed it doesn’t matter how you create a facing, The angle at a seam in most cases should be 90 degs… if points at A and A2 are obtuse they would create V’s at the seams or an irregular waist line.

This is just for reference, but here’s the idea what to shoot for…

Note how the front/back seam at the waist is 90 degs - could play with the control points for the side seam spline to get that nearer 90degs. The side seam at A11 is above the A to A2 axis… the dart is lowered. Points A8-A11-A12-A10 are rotated about point A13… which I had to add at the same place as A10 because it wouldn’t rotate about point A10. ??? Connect A-A11a1, A11a1-A12a1, and A12a1-A14 with curves to make the facing. Make detail pieces.

skirt question_rev2.val (9.6 KB)

@slspencer - personally, if I were to create such a piece, I would probably cut it on a fold or something and rely on the seam at the waist to add some strength to the waistline, but perhaps this is being made with some sort of spandex, once again, I guess one would need a little more detail to make an informed decision.

I really can’t picture what is needed, so opted to reply to the question from the program side rather than the artistic side :wink: I’m hoping that what I have given above, @Helga will be able to explore the tools on the dummy pattern to achieve the results she needs before doing something drastic to her masterpiece.

Haha, @Douglas, well spotted. And thanks for this. I’m still figuring out how to make patterns but by now, I don’t think there’s very much about Valentina that I don’t know :blush:

Thanks, that´s great and exaktly what i need

Déplacer les pinces d'une jupe de base/Move the darts of a basic skirt

@grace, sorry english is not my native language and i need the google translator, so it was difficult to say what i want. But the picture from @douglas (the picture with the trouser) describes exactly what i was searching for. Thank you very much best regards Helga

I did my homework :slight_smile: first try: facing created by rotation of the darts. With this way i had a couple of problems to create proper curves and the 90 degs between waist and seam

after this i found an easier way: i create two peaces A1-A5-A21-20 and A4-A7-A22-A23 and then used the “Vereinigen-Werkzeug” Tool in Detail-Mode. I think in the english Version this tool has the name merge, or join or something like that.

i hope the screen shots will work bye Helga

Wow! @Helga, that looks really good. :slight_smile: Well done !!!

I think you have the right idea. Good job. :+1:

Note: I would normally cut facings like this on the bias since they will lay better this way. To show the grain line of the facings on the bias you could use the rotation field to enter 45 degs.