How to create a Tie Pattern?

Hi,

Anyone has a tie pattern or can tell me how to made it?

1 Like

So I found this in a Facebook page Corbatas.pdf - Google Drive, but i canā€™t understand spanish.

At the same time with another site I made this one, cravatta prova.val (3.1 KB) but it is incomplete

1 Like

I found this one that gives images of the pattern and detailed sewing instructions:

I quite like it because it covers the lining and interlining. Itā€™s on the internet,so people can translate the page into whichever language they choose.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never made ties before (I have to trie). I just know that itā€™s cut on the bias and that you need some interfacing and intelining for that.

I think the best way to understand how it is sewn is to buy a very old and very ugly tie (like that no regret at the time of the unstitching) and to unstitch it step by step by taking pictures to well everything remember

2 Likes

I have learned to sew many things including the tailoring of a jacket by deconstructing thrift store garments. Good luck

1 Like

thanks that is the link that i found the other day XD and I lost it

1 Like

yes, the best thing you can do is undo an old tie to understand how it is made and then rebuild it. thatā€™s something Iā€™ve already done, several times. the guide who has posted Grace is very valid. prepared because most of the seams are to be done by hand;)

1 Like

The patterns not your problem.

If you want a pattern for making a tie, I recommend you take apart an old tie and use It as your pattern. The process of disassembling the tie will help you understand the things that are really important about how the tie works.

A little secret: itā€™s not so much the shape of your pattern pieces that makes a tie work, itā€™s whatā€™s inside the tie that makes it work.

The interfacing or interlining used for giving the tie body acts as an inner core that helps the softer silk of the fashion silks hold their shape while being tied in knots and twisted around. Itā€™s this core that allows the tie to fold properly within the knot thereby allowing us to see the structure of the knot as well as appreciate the luster of the silks. Without this interlining, any knot you would try to tie would not work. The fabric would just collapse in on itself and become a nasty mess.

Hereā€™s your real problem: This special ā€œtie interfacingā€ is a very specialized productive and is not readilly available to the average consumer. When you can find it, it is outrageously expensive per yard. Even if youā€™re willing to splurge a little, you cannot just limit your purchase to the amount needed for one tie. This is because ties are cut on the bias and you need a minimum of a square to achieve the longest possible diagonal line when cutting bias. In the case of a tie thatā€™s at least 45". You would need to buy a full 1 1/4 yards of the stuff just to get a bias long enough to make your tie. You would then only be using a relatively narrow portion cut from the longest diagonal. Once youā€™ve cut out your tie you are left with two giant triangle scraps Which are nolomger usable for any more ties because they now lack the necessary dimensions for a repeat of that very long bias. Whether you have enough yardage for 1 or 100 ties, youā€™re still going to end up with about 9 square feet of unusable product.

Sure you can piece together the fashion silks to make them long enough. In fact almost all ties do exactly that to save expense but the interlining needs to be one continuous length of bias and therefore cannot be pieced. Unless you plan to make dozens of ties to justify a substantial investment in tie interfacing, youā€™re going to incur a 90% waist of materials for one tie at 1 1/4 yds.
Without this critical ā€œinner coreā€/interlining any attempt at making a tie will end in disappointment.

But donā€™t be discouraged! Remember that tie you took apart? Now you have not only your pattern with all its pieces to copy and the rich information gathered from carefully examining it while taking it apart, you also have a piece of the all important tie interfacing which is exactly enough for one tie.

I say go to Goodwill and buy several ties and have a ball getting to know how they really work.

2 Likes

here I am back with the model I was looking for, at the end with a bit of research and various tests I made it prototyped and realizedā€¦Cravatta.val (17.7 KB)

2 Likes

Oh, wow! Very well done :slight_smile:

@ichigolab may I have your permission to post the pattern cravatta.val that you uploaded to the seamly forum to the site seamly.cloud?

1 Like

yes! sorry i didnā€™t see your post until today

3 Likes

In response both to Vestrisā€™s Sep 18 post, and to more recent developments on the subject of Tie Patterns:

Top quality, pre-cut interlinings for neck ties are available on line. They come in various materials, weights and sizes, and work out at roughly Ā£1 per tie at point of purchase.

Theyā€™re made in The Netherlands by AC Ter Kuile, and sold through Etsy from The Thackery, which is based in the US. As I live in the UK the postage is around Ā£10 and I expect our beloved Customs people will charge something too, bless them! Iā€™ve ordered a total of 15 (they sell them in batches of 5 per weight/size) so I imagine this will increase the unit cost to nearer Ā£2.50, not to mention adding about 4000 ā€˜fabric milesā€™ to the process!! :frowning:

Wondering whether I could buy direct from the maker, avoiding these additional costs and carbon, I learned from their web site that they have a web shop selling their fabrics directly per metre, with no obvious minimum quantities. Interestingly, they also provide a cutting service for their tie shapes. I imagine there will be a minimum order requirement for these to make it cost-effective. I canā€™t contact them to check as itā€™s still Easter holidays.

Is there enough interest in making ties to warrant getting together to place a joint order that makes more financial - and environmental - sense? Iā€™ll happily act as point of contact - at least for the UK (I would unflinchingly offer EU too but with things going the way they appear, this might not be wise!) so please let me know by initially replying to this post if youā€™d be interested in taking part.

2 Likes

Hi, yikes just found your post!! Better late than neverā€¦ how did you get on with your enquiry? Iā€™m interested in tie making and looking for quality materials. Interested in what you found. Thanks. Alison.

2 Likes

Hello, Where are you based please? In the UK?
Thanks Alison

1 Like

Hi and welcome, @Alison.

The post is a little old - April 2019 - and @andrewb says the materials are sold through Etsy from The Thackery, so I think if you searched on Etsy, you should find them :slight_smile:

Hereā€™s a link: TheThackery - Etsy

Waywak carries sewing & tailoring supplies:

Richard the Threads also carries sewing, millinary and other assorted supplies:

My shop uses both are they are very reliable.

2 Likes