How to change my email in my forum profile?

I have to change my email address in my profile. I don’t want to delete my account and then create a new account with a new email, because I would lost all my activity in the forum. How can the email address be changed?

1 Like

Click on your profile photo in the top right corner of the page and then click on the ‘gear’:

You should be able to make all your changes there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, I already have tried that, but there is no way to change the email…

1 Like

That’s very strange :frowning: I think @slspencer will have to help you. She’ll receive a notification to this message and I’m sure she’ll come back to you as soon as she logs in.

I have responded to @JoceL with a private message and I believe I can change the email on her profile. @Grace, if this works I will send you a PM to tell you how I did it

1 Like

The only way I have found is to deactivate the user, which will force them to log in again and allow them to supply a new email address.

1 Like

@Grace it was actually easy and worked well, it just is not intuitive. There is no “edit button” for the email. To allow a user to change email, an admin must use the tool icon and bring up the user list, then look in that user’s profile. There should be an option to “deactivate” the user. This does not delete them nor erase anything. What it does is force them to enter their email address when attempting to log in the next time. They can enter any valid email address then follow the instructions in the email sent to that address. It worked for @JoceL. ( I made myself a dummy account to try it out first)

1 Like

Ok, thank you very much. It seems a heck of a lot of unnecessary. Why not just edit the email addy? I’ll have a look :slight_smile:

I agree it would be nice if one could just edit the address, but I found no way to do that. Apparently it is controlled by the discourse forum software, and the (open) source is on github and that is just they way it works. :confused:

1 Like