How to build with Qt

qt

Unfortunately, the only two ways I have run Seamly on any linux distribution are within the QtCreator and a distribution package. Any build you do that results in packages being downloaded (using apt, apt-get, dpkg) will result in overwriting and you will need to remain vigilant and very conscious of package dependencies. This includes the “production version” (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:susan-spencer/seamly2d), the “development version” (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:susan-spencer/seamly2d-dayly-build) or my “personal version” (https://launchpad.net/seamly2d-test-daily).

Another option would be to use one of the methods of creating a self contained image such as AppImage, Snap, Flatpak, or something similar. I have not taken the time to figure out any of these, but using one of these is the approach I believe you are looking for.

Hi @Calum! Thanks for your code contributions. It’s appreciated. We have many many users who program Python, pHp, and other interpreted or scripted languages who want to take the leap into compilation. So could you fill us in on some details?

1. Your Mint linux OS version
  2. Do you have a beefy PC or a mini laptop, what are you running?
  3. Your Qt version – any issues installing Qt on your Mint version?
  4. You compiled C++ (gcc) using qmake at the command line – was your experience as easy as described in this article: https://wiki.qt.io/Getting_Started_on_the_Commandline
  5. How would you like for us to test your changes?

PS - If you’re still interested in using QtCreator I can help, but given your success with qmake you may not see a need. I like it because it lets you select the detail level of errors and messages, etc. and provides project control of the environment variables, etc.

I did actually get QtCreator working - turns out the installer creates no sort of launch system, other than navigating to the bin directory and double clicking it. So that’s what I’ve been using since.

In terms of getting it running on the commandline, yes, it was pretty straightforward - between the instructions in the source and on the wiki I got it going reasonably easily.

Screenshot%20from%202019-03-17%2020-19-58

Re testing, I’ll put a note on the thread about that issue so it’s all in one place.

@callum, I am not familiar with the desktop you are using, but isn’t it possible for you to create a launch icon yourself?

Haha, yes, I have now! The cobbler’s children, you know…