How to add more quantity of a pattern piece

Dear All, I am wondering, is there any possibility to tell Seamly2D to put multiple quantity of a given pattern piece into the layout? For example, I create the left side of a pattern piece and I want to add it to the layout not just the left side but the mirrored right side as well. There is an option on the Workpiece panel/Piece label data (Quantity) but changing the number does not multiply the pattern piece quantity on the layout. Also the other options there (Fold position, Annotation, Orientation, Rotation, Tilt) do not make any difference. Thank you for your help.

2 Likes

It’s generally assumed that you’ll be printing out the pieces, & can thus flip them over easily. So you’ll have to re-trace the pattern piece from the draft for each additional copy you want in the layout, & if you need it mirrored, you’ll have to use the mirror tool in the draft before tracing it.

That’s not to say that there aren’t plans to eventually implement the capabilities which you sought, they’ve just taken a back burner since there is a relatively easy work-around.

This post: How to mirror a part in detail mode? - #2 by AVI may help you get the mirror function figured out. Note that it was made back when the mirror function was called “flip”, but it’s the same tool.

I hope that answers your question & helps!

:unicorn:

1 Like

Dear Pneumarian, thanks for the prompt answer. Yes, manual flipping after print-out and cutting from paper is an option. What I was looking for is some basic nesting functionality (which is a complex task and algorithm, I know) to generate all the necessary pieces and arrange them the most appropriate way in the layout. Mirroring the pieces beforehand is a workaround right now, I am just thinking on a more convenient way to to this. I hope this function will arrive soon into Semaly2D.

2 Likes

Hello @penumbra1984

If you want to do this in Seamly2D, first you will need to mirror the 2nd half of the pattern while in the drafting board. Then create the detail of the complete piece, as many times as you require (do this with all the pieces needed).

Then you can switch to the Details board and arrange them to suit your requirements. You won’t have access to any rulers to arrange according to fabric width, but perhaps you can eyeball it or export to Inkscape to further arrange your pieces.

Once you a happy with your layout, you can export it to .svg by clicking the icon on the left o the board.

Unfortunately, .svg is currently the only option here but, once again, Inkscape has many options in this regard and is also a free and opensource software.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You could also make a fabric piece of the desired size that you’ll discard rather than printing once all the actual pattern pieces are placed as desired.

:unicorn:

1 Like

Oh, wow! Thank you, @Pneumarian, I forgot that bit :slight_smile: