How do i Label the pattern

Thank you all for having me here. The software is very interest but how do I label the pattern after drafting ; like CF ,CB etc

1 Like

@Malcolm,

You do that in the detail mode.

• Draw the pattern *Click on Detail tab *Click on the ā€œlittle patternā€ icon with the plus sign on it. *Trace your pattern, (clockwise) and hit enter. this will open up a new window where you can add labels and seam allowance.

Hope that makes sense. P.S. I am new to Seamly, so if there is the better way to explain this by a more experienced person, feel free to add to my comment. :wink:

3 Likes

Welcome newbies! Weā€™d love for yā€™all to introduce yourselves in the introductions thread!

First of all, I found some information regarding the question of labels on the wiki here

I recommend practicing new tricks on a throw-away pattern, such as a square. Just in case. Or at least not saving until you know that youā€™ve got it right, for ease of roll-back. But I recommend saving constantly, because you never know what might happen. So you would need a safe file to risk mutilating beyond comprehension. Unless you want the extra practice anyway! :slight_smile:

If you havenā€™t done the pattern tracing part of the process which @Sewing4Fun mentioned, you will have to do that first. Iā€™m not clear on if you have already finished that step or not.

• Once that is done, make sure you are in the Detalis view rather than the Draw view.
  • In the Details view right-click the pattern piece which you desire to label
  • Select ā€œOptionsā€

Now you are in a screen that looks almost exactly like the screen that popped up when you finished tracing the pattern, except that all the juicy options are no longer greyed out.

• Select the Labels tab on the left side of the dialog.
  • I recommend filling in the ā€œName of detailā€ field with something descriptive of exactly which pattern detail youā€™re messing with. Then the ā€œDetailsā€ tally on the bottom right of the screen will have meaningful information in it.
  • Up at the top, right below the tabs, is a button labeled ā€œEdit templateā€ directly to the right of the words ā€œLabel template:ā€ click it.
  • The ā€œEdit label templateā€ is grey & lifeless, click the mysterious green plus sign.
  • Behold! the dialog comes to life! muahahahahem.
  • Insert your desired label in the Text: field.
  • Experiment with "Insertā€¦"ing scripting which you could add to make the program do the boring work that you will be using repetitiously for you!
  • If you added such a script, save the label template to your drive with the suitable button. This will allow you to Import a template rather than having to type it all in for every single pattern piece, which is especially useful if you have multiple lines in your template.
  • Click ā€œOkayā€ to finish working with your template.
  • Click the ā€œLabelsā€ tab at the top
  • Check the ā€œDetail label visibleā€ box with a click
  • Give it a suitable width & height. If a 1 unit square is good, you donā€™t need to bother about anything. But thatā€™s kinda small, even if youā€™re using inches.
  • but most of all, (make a backup,) ā€œTake chances, make mistakes, get messy!ā€

But that only works if youā€™re wanting to label pattern pieces with labels that will print with the layout. If youā€™re wanting to label multiple specific parts of a single pattern piece, Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s possible yet.

3 Likes

@Pneumarian. a much more detailed explanation

Like I said, Iā€™m newā€¦

I appreciate your time to do better job of explaining this process.

2 Likes

Heh, I might do better to figure out how to record a screencap & post it to YouTube.

Thanks for reminding me that this forum has a like button!

2 Likes

I just remembered Notches! (Which Seamly calls ā€œPassmarksā€ at this time.) Thatā€™s a traditional way to mark different sides of one pattern piece. One cannot use custom letters for the marks, but there are a few options: |, ||, |||, T, V, (plus a few more at this editing.)

ETA: To place a passmark notch, you will need to have the point where you are going to want your passmark notches placed inserted before you trace the outline of your piece.

• On the ā€œPathsā€ section of the Detail: Options Workpiece Tool dialog Rightclick the point you want to mark
  • select the ā€œPassmarkā€ Notch box
  • Navigate to the Passmarks Notches section of the dialog, (bottom left,)
  • Choose which passmark Notch you want to edit from the drop-down menu
  • Select your options
  • When finished, hit the Okay button.

Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s all I can say on the subject, unless to clarify what I typed. Any further enlightenment will have to come from Atheneā€™s cohorts.

2 Likes

@Pneumarian

I can not seem to add passmarks. I followed your instructions, but when I go to the passmark section, nothing is clickable, including the drop down arrow. What am I missing?

1 Like

hmm. Iā€™m not sure why you arenā€™t getting anything, but I did realize that I forgot to mention turning on seam allowances.

I have now made a short video (67sec) to hopefully show the Passmarking process better. :link: :film_projector:

ETA: It has English captions now!

2 Likes

You first need to go to the path and then right click on the node that you want a passmark. Right click and 3 options will be available. Click on passmark. After you did this to all the nodes that you want a passmark, go to passmark. You can then select what type of passmark you want for each node. Hit apply and it will pop up as long you have the seam allowances. Without the seam allowance, it wont show up.

3 Likes

@Pneumarian I figured it out. I needed to add a point on the line where I wanted to add my passmark, so that I could select it. I didnā€™t realize I needed that step first.

Thanks for the video by the way! Very useful for us newbies. :grin:

2 Likes

Ooooh, yeah, Iā€™ve edited that note in now for future explorers. Thanks for telling me what I missed! :cupcake:

2 Likes

Hi! I dont find the correct threadā€¦ so. Can I change some Passmarks Symbols? I want to add the ā€œcut on foldā€ Symbol. Its like three circles (there are others but, I like this one)

fold

Iā€™m using GIMP to edit the tiled pattern and add this symbol and the cut lines for paper.

2 Likes

At the moment the only options are those mentioned above: |, ||, |||, T, V.

Iā€™d suggest making three tiny circles on the Draw screen in that configuration & adding them with the ā€œInternal path toolā€ in the ā€œDetailā€ toolbox.

Someone else may have a better idea.

2 Likes

Its a great idea for me! I make 13 different sizes in my patterns soā€¦ :woman_technologist: 13 different archives in GIMP and the same thing 13 times :sweat_smile: I didnt know another way. Yours is better.

2 Likes

Hi @Pneumarian ! Iā€™d like to add a few things to my patterns such as labels for CF and CB, and a symbol for placing against a fold, but I canā€™t work out how to do this, because when I open the Internal Path Tool thereā€™s nothing thereā€¦ any pointers please?

2 Likes

Also, what is the difference between the ā€˜Pattern Labelā€™ and the ā€˜Detail Labelā€™ please?!

2 Likes

At the moment, there is no ā€œPlace on Foldā€ symbol, I just set the ending points of that section as anchor points for the grainline, so that if the grainline is on the edge of the pattern it means itā€™s on the fold; messy, but it makes do for now.

Internal paths are created in the drafting mode. You connect the dots in much the same way as tracing off the pattern, but the direction doesnā€™t matter. With the internal path traced, you press enter/return & get a dialog asking you to choose which pattern piece it belongs to, as well as some formatting stuff, (ignore the option about seam allowance, it barely works, for one particular use, so youā€™re best off avoiding it.) So you could place a line for the CF or CB, but there is no label for that at this time. It wouldnā€™t be hard to draft in a ā€œCbā€ or ā€œCFā€, but it might be too annoying. I hope that I understood that question sufficiently.

As for the difference between Pattern Labels & Detail Labels: the Pattern Label is for information relevant to all pieces of the pattern, eg: ā€œPants, by Hayley for A. Nonyā€, while the Detail label is for information particular to the pattern piece, eg: ā€œPants Back, cut 2ā€. Of course itā€™s possible to put the Pattern information in the piece label, which is what Iā€™ve done.

I hope that helps answer your questions!

:unicorn:

2 Likes

Wonderful, this is really helpful thank you!

@hayleyneil

Like @Pneumarian says the ā€œDetailā€ label is for information relevant to a particular pattern piece. Eventually this will be relabled ā€œPiece Labelā€. The term detail is a holdover of the incorrect term when referring to a pattern piece. A detail is something to add to a pattern piece- not the piece itself. The former devā€™s primary language was not English, so some terms got misnamed.

In regards to the ā€œon foldā€ā€¦ there is also some label related stuff that never got implemented - such as the on fold, tilt, etc stuff that appears in the Piece dialog. Disregard that part for now. Eventually I will clean up the Labels, as well as adding the ability to add details or symbols to pattern pieces - such as ā€œPlace On Foldā€, ā€œGather Hereā€, as well as dots, squares, zipper placement, buttons. button holes, etc.

As far as labels go, if you are going to use a pattern with multiple measurements, I highly suggest you create and use anchor points to anchor your labels, as this will keep the labels in the same relative spot on your pattern pieces. Otherwise, the labels wil move around as the size changes, possibly off the piece itself.

Also to use the labels you need to create / edit a template for each, to use with your pattern and piece labels. The template will basically outline what text you want to add, and what placeholders to include that will be filled with actual data. For example you probably would want to include the Piece Name placeholder so the piece name will be included in the label.

2 Likes