Help with recreating certain parts of the pattern into Valentina

Hello,

I am having problems translating this pattern into Valentina. I have a tech pack that explains what each variable should be, but some measurements are on curves, and I can only get the measurements on horizontal and vertical lines. What is the best way to produce this correctly in Valentina so it more accurately follows the pattern? Am I doing this the correct way? I’ve gone in and added each measurement definition in tape and created an individual measurement file. Is there anyway to added in measurements from an excel document? That would make this whole process much easier. I would like to be able to add new excel documents that have each persons measurements in it and just have my pattern adjust automatically for each person. Is valentina able to do this?

Thank you everyone for your help!

Using Tape, you could set up an individual measurements file (.vit), once you’ve opened up all your measurement points, you can save it as a ‘master’ and use it as a basis for all your customers. Open the ‘master’ and save as… enter the measurements & save again - for each person.

Your draft looks fine. It’s really only necessary to draw the one half but if it makes you happy, you may draw both, but they may differ once they’re printed, so instead of drawing both sides, rather draw only one and then use the ‘Flip Objects by Axis’ tool to copy the one side to the otherside: image

According to the image, the sides are slightly raised at the sides to fit the hips and the line between the edge is slightly curved.

And then there are 2 darts on each side that will make the curve of the edges of the skirt in to fit the waist.

And then the hem line is also slightly curved so the edge is slightly raised, but this should happen automatically once you have a 3D person inside the skirt :slight_smile: Here is how I’d interpret the pattern using just any numbers:

Skirt Basics.val (3.7 KB)

Thank you very much for your response. This helps. So there is no way to load in the measurements all at one for each person. I will have to open a master/template and then adjust each value to the individual’s measurements correct? I don’t see an “Import Values from Excel” feature unfortunately or am I missing something?

As far as I know there isn’t, so you might do copy&paste. For me it would be a nice feature, but not essential, as - if i had known Valentina and tape before, I wouldn’t have created my excel-sheet. Tape gives me all I need.

cu Monika

No, there is no way to import the values, but it does go very fast once you have your master file set up in Tape, as @moniaqua said, Tape has everything that you need.

There is a multisize method, but that isn’t very ‘ideal’ if you are making clothes for specific people, but if you have the base sizes and the increments per size, it works very nicely and you can create a pattern for various sizes by just changing the height or size. If you go on the wiki, there are various tutorials and .pdf files that will explain how this works.

Has this question been answered?

@Jrae, if you are willing to do the work, you can generate the measurement files right from a spreadsheet, as they are just XML text files. All you need to do is use the CONCAT function to put each line together. (Think ‘really complicated form letter’. :grin: )

Yes… they are XML files, BUT they are read, written & validated by the associated schema xds files for each program / measurement form version. So no… they’re not just text files. Sure, if you understand the schema you could hack a measurement file together.

As per MS support:

"This function replaces the CONCATENATE function. However, the CONCATENATE function will stay available for compatibility with earlier versions of Excel.

NOTE: This feature is only available if you have an Office 365 subscription. If you are an Office 365 subscriber, make sure you have the latest version of Office."

Well, actually - a skirt doesn’t require that much measurements and only some variables. Isn’t it just faster to type those few measurements and formulas into the tape and the variables table? You need to draw the lines anyways :blush:

cu Monika

Oui! This is great info. I’d could just build individual measurement files through XML that seems the easier/fastest method. I’ll just have to make sure all the valentina specific stuff remains the same I guess. (understanding the schema), Thanks!

…or Excel 2016, Excel 2016 for Mac, Excel Online, Excel for iPad, Excel for iPhone, Excel for Android tablets, Excel Mobile, Excel for Android phones.

…or LibreOffice/OpenOffice, GoogleSheets, etc. You can also use CONCATENATE if your spreadsheet doesn’t support CONCAT. The ability to join text sections together has been around a looooong time, though apparently not a lot of people use it.