Group manager empty even thougt groups exist

Hello,

today I’ve opened my Seamly2D and noticed the Group manager being empty even though there certainly are groups in the file. I’ve tried on multiple patterns, the situation is the same everywhere (but the groups are in the file). Could you please help me with fixing that?

Thank you,

Helena

3 Likes

Hi @Helena.vildova

I haven’t seen something like this before, so I’ll need to see your pattern and measurement files.

Can you let us know what OS you have and which version of Seamly2D, please?

1 Like

Try changing the height of the Group Manager dock… or rearrange the docks. The Groups window is not showing and thus the groups themselves are not showing. The objects only display when a group is selected in the Groups window of the dock.

I’m assuming you’ve updated the app recently? … and due to the nature the way the app stores the settings it’s still saving the docks the old way. If you undock and redock the docks you should get something like this - with the docks now tabbed, and the Groups Manager the full height of the dock area. Of cource of you prefer to dock the old way you can still do that, but you might need to chanhe the height of Groups Manage to get the Groups window to show.

groups

3 Likes

Thanks for the guidance; I’ve tried to undock and re-dock all the small windows on the right side of the app, it didn’t help though. I’ve even tried to uninstall the app altogether and install it anew, no luck either (I didn’t clean the registry though, I am afraid I would break something).

So I am sending the additional information, hoping it helps you discover the problem.

This is my OS info:

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎23/‎02/‎2023
OS build 22621.1702
Serial number 5CG3041G29
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22641.1000.0

This is my Seamly2D about: image

This is the Seamly2D Qt about: image

And these are my pattern and measurement files: skirt 2 back darts, back side cuts.val (28.8 KB) skirt 2 back darts-size Hela (halved).vit (2.1 KB)

Also, I’ve restored an earlier version of one of my pattern files couple days ago (I store them on Google Drive for automatic versioning), so maybe this can have something to do with this? But the Group manager was working properly right after that, it only happened the day or two after.

Thanks a lot for your help!

2 Likes

Ok. I downloaded and installed the same (current) Seamly ver, am also Running Windows 11 22H2, loaded your pattern - and it’s fine.

skirt

So. Lets try this.

1. Close the Groups Manager dock… you can click the x in the upper right corner. Reopen the dock… right click anywhere on an open area of the toolbar to show the context menu and select the Group Manager OR select the Group Manager item in the View menu to reopen the dock.

context

If that didn’t work then try this:

1. Close any open Seamly apps. Since Seamly doesn’t use the registry - it’s cross platform - so it uses an ini file to store the preferences. Go to ThisPc → Windows (C:) → Users → [User name] → AppData → Roaming → Seamly2DTeam… and rename the Seamly2D.ini file to something like xSeamly2D.ini. Restart Seamly2D. You will have lost your previous prefs, and it will be as if you installed the apps for the first time. It’s analogous to cleaning the registry. I want to see if starting with a clean main Window geometry and state fixes the problem. If it does, we can probably edit out those parts in the ini file and at least restore most of your prefs. Actually I’d be interested in trying your ini file on my Seamly 2D before makng any changes to it. If it reproduces the error on my PC then we know where the problem is.

If you were to look at the ini file in a text editor you will see something like this:

[General] recentFileList=“C:/Users/rocke/Downloads/skirt 2 back darts, back side cuts.val”, C:/Users/rocke/Downloads/IPTest.val, C:/Users/rocke/Downloads/Hafu Round CollarTest.val, C:/Users/rocke/Downloads/Hafu Round Collar.val restoreFileList=“C:/Users/rocke/Downloads/skirt 2 back darts, back side cuts.val” geometry=@ByteArray(\x1\xd9\xd0\xcb\0\x3\0\0\xff\xff\xff\xff\xff\xff\xff\xf8\0\0\x5V\0\0\x3\0\0\0\0\b\0\0\0\x1f\0\0\x4S\0\0\x3\v\0\0\0\0\x2\0\0\0\x5V\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\x17\0\0\x5U\0\0\x2\xff) windowState="@ByteArray(\0\0\0\xff\0\0\0\0\xfd\0\0\0\x2\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\x8c\0\0\x2\\xfc\x2\0\0\0\x1\xfb\0\0\0$\0t\0o\0o\0l\0\x62\0o\0x\0_\0\x44\0o\0\x63\0k\0W\0i\0\x64\0g\0\x65\0t\x1\0\0\0p\0\0\x2\\0\0\x2\f\0\a\xff\xff\0\0\0\x1\0\0\x1&\0\0\x2.…

The geometry and windowState entries store data that represents what windows / docks are open, their size and where they are located. If this fixes the issue, we can then edit out those entries, rename the file back, and you should then only have to make minor changes to the the window layout as it will rewrite those parts of the ini.

BTW… in case anyone is interested… you may notice the “restoreFileList=”. When you open a pattern and make changes it’s name is added to this list. If you save it, it’s removed. Make changes, it’s added again… and so on. IF the app crashes, the next time you start Seamly2d it looks at the restoreFileList, and if there are any files listed it means you crashed with unsaved files… so it asks if you want to reopen the autosaved file of the same name that should exist. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok, so… I’ve tried everything you’ve recommended and it didn’t help. But then I noticed a little cursor change above the Objects rectangle and tried to click it, and discovered a HUGE bummer :smiley: The Groups rectangle has just been hidden and this for some reason obviously isn’t something stored in the .ini file. Anyway, my problem is solved and the Group manager works again :slight_smile: Sorry for bothering you with me being silly!

2 Likes

Ahhhh… Thank you very much, @Helena.vildova. I’ll have to check that out with one of my patterns that’s also not showing the groups :grin: Very well done!!!

1 Like