Greeting from a newbie!

Hello !

I tried to install Seamly2D (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS), but everytime I try to install it, i’m getting this :

$ sudo apt-get install seamly2d Reading package lists… Done Building dependency tree Reading state information… Done The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required: libllvm5.0 linux-headers-4.13.0-37 linux-headers-4.13.0-37-generic linux-headers-4.13.0-38 linux-headers-4.13.0-38-generic linux-image-4.13.0-37-generic linux-image-4.13.0-38-generic linux-image-extra-4.13.0-37-generic linux-image-extra-4.13.0-38-generic Use ‘sudo apt autoremove’ to remove them. The following additional packages will be installed: libmotif-common libqt5xmlpatterns5 libxm4 xpdf The following NEW packages will be installed: libmotif-common libqt5xmlpatterns5 libxm4 seamly2d xpdf 0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded. Need to get 5 266 kB of archives. After this operation, 79,9 MB of additional disk space will be used. Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y Abort.

I don’t know why.

I did use the command that are advised before this one (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:susan-spencer/seamly2d sudo apt-get update)

Thanks to anyone who tries to help me !

1 Like

[Edit : I made a mistake when creating this topic, i forgot to introduce me ! Sorry !]

Hello !

I am new here, I am designing a lot of clothes but never used proper sewing pattern (just cutting fabric on view). English is not my first language, so, sorry if I may be unclear sometimes.

I wish to all a nice day !

2 Likes

Hi @ElleyLean, welcome to our forum! Have you considered purchasing a pattern drafting book so you can learn the formulas to make patterns? There are many pattern drafting books available from Amazon. This will help you get started with patternmaking.

1 Like

Hi @ElleyLean & welcome. Have you managed to install the program?

Yes, I finally did Grace !

Hello slspencer, thank you for your advice ! But, I’m very specific/original about what I’m sewing, so, unless I can buy pattern for part of clothes (like for my biggest issue : sleeves), it’s of no use for me. Or I would buy a whole pattern, or a whole pattern book, to use maybe one or two little pieces :confused: I don’t like to waste things up :confused:

To make pseudo pattern, I take fabric and try to fold them to get the result I want, and cut what is useless. I had a bit of result like that. But that really particular.

Thank to both of you !

1 Like

@ElleyLean, There are some areas on the wiki that may be helpful to you.

I started a tutorial on creating a complete set of pattern blocks with the McCunn system and though it is not finished, it contains some useful stuff.
Sleeve Block, McCunn System - Seamly2D

@Grace did some variations on some of my patterns (Bell Sleeve - Seamly2D) Bell sleeve is a great example of how to use the tools to change things up. Grace also did a bodice block using a different pattern system
Bodice Block, Leena's Patternmaker - Seamly2D

It is also probably worth your while to check out the pattern cloud tool (https://seamly.cloud) that @MrDoo created and look at some of the patterns that are there.

Ask questions. People will help.

1 Like