Forum has disappeared on ipad

I access the forums quite often on my Ipad, and it was fine until this morning when I attempted to access it (from a shortcut) and all I get on screen is the black bar with containing links to Download, Facebook etc. I tried deleting the shortcut and retrying, but get the same result.

clicking on those links work, but still, the forum is not visible.

1 Like

Hmmm… I doubt it’s on the forums end. I’m on my phone now and the forums are fine. I don’t think the forums are tracking the OS and ver being used. Probably stating the obvious- did you try rebooting the iPad?

1 Like

yes, I did. It loads using chrome and safari on my husbands Ipad. Just not on mine for some reason.

2 Likes

Hmmm… my limited iOS experience is with an iPod and several iTouch’s… but I’m trying to recall - isn’t there a settings to flush an app’s cache?

2 Likes

Well, It is still a mystery. I have rebooted, reset network settings, installed chrome browser(same issue), cleared the cache, all to no avail. Ipad Air, OS 12.5.3
All it loads is the black header bar, and a blank page. All links in the header bar still work. I cannot figure it out. edited to add: I bet it is a software issue. Ipad running OS 14 opens the forum fine. So maybe there was a change in the required OS system?

1 Like

The webpage is dependent on the browser / plugins / scripts running not really the OS.

I haven’t looked at html source for the forum pages, but is it possible that maybe scripting / Java got disabled on the iPad?

The menu bar could just be normal html, while the rest of the page is scripted.

2 Likes

I checked the page source on my laptop… there’s a lot of .js scripting. The header appears to be normal html. If scripting is turned off or internet security settings changed, it definitely could be preventing the js portions of the forum pages from displaying.

4 Likes

Thanks! With this information, i googled a bit and under settings; Safari; advanced; the Javascript button was on. I turned the JavaScript slider “off” and the forum has reappeared. No black header bar anymore. I didn’t make any changes in my settings before this. Another technological mystery for the books.

2 Likes

Well that’s odd. I just turned off javascript on my Android phone and all I could do is read messages. Plus the menu that’s normally at the top is now appearing in the footer of the page along with " Powered by Discourse, best viewed with JavaScript enabled".

2 Likes

Yes, and more odd is that it is now(this morning) back to being visible with javascript setting in the “on” position.

2 Likes