Foldline feature

Hi @Grace & @Douglas, You’ve mentioned this in another thread:

@Douglas has already worked on a Foldline feature. The github issue is here:

Maybe we could have a foldline label that is parallel to the foldline for best use of space and readability.

I prefer the label to be different than this image. Should be parallel to the foldline, not perpendicular as shown in this image. This was the only image I could find in less than 3 minutes :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I would love to have that feature :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That will be brilliant. I was thinking of something like this:

To save the centre of the pattern for other things, but I don’t mind either way :slight_smile:

5 Likes

yeah its looks way better to have the label parallel to the foldline, I just posted the best pic I could find with a quick web search.

2 Likes

is there a foldline feature now?

No. Not yet. I have it planned as one of the “Symbols” to be added to pattern pieces.

Currently if you Check the “On Fold” property it will enable the “on fold” placeholder in the labels.

2 Likes

Yes, and 0 the seam allowances of the fold line. I also place the grainline very close to the fold line.

2 Likes

Oh, is that newish? I don’t remember those dropdowns doing anything before. (Though there’s plenty of room for me to have missed such an exclusive feature as this.)

:unicorn:

1 Like

Are you referring to adding a placeholder dropdown?

Those items have been there all along.

1 Like

No, it’s always been there. Select the node and change the before or after to 0.

Then you get something like this:

It serves me. :smiley:

1 Like

Ah, I’d misunderstood you to be saying that it was connected to clicking the checkbox, not that it was a separate step that one needs to take.

:unicorn:

1 Like

If you check the On Fold checkbox, AND use the Word: on Fold placeholder… then the label will show “on Fold”. If the checkbox is unchecked… the label will display nothing for Word: on Fold.

And actually as I pointed out in the other topic… you would probably use

%wCut% %wOnFold%

so it displays “Cut on Fold”… and it’s translatableas the placeholders are translated, where any text you type in is not.

And just to be thorough… some of the properties I switched from line edits to comboboxs as they were rather convoluted. For example the

where before it was a text box with the suggested text of “None / CWX / CCW X”… meaning you were supposed to type in one of those 3, but in reality could type anything.

Actually as I look at it - we should probably add and an “Any” item, rename CW X to “Clockwise”, and CCW to “Counterclockwise”. Also add a place holder Word: Tilt , and a Piece Tilt Angle so you could show something like in a label “Tilt Any 5.00°” or “Tilt Counterclockwise 2.00°”… where the tilt is the allowable rotation off grain a pattern piece maybe placed in a marker.

2 Likes

Is it planned that someone works on this feature in the next months or so ? :blush:

If it’s not a feature at the top of the priority list, I would be happy to give it a try, following all the ideas you suggested in the corresponding github issue.

Speaking of the github issue, it seems that the screenshots you posted are not available anymore. It was 3 years ago, but maybe you would be able to send them again ?

2 Likes

Just a bit of background… I worked on my own fork before working on Seamly… so I’ve got a lot a feaures already figured out that I need to move to Seamly.

2 Likes

buttonhole, etc would be so useful!

2 Likes

That was in the works along with the symbols and text tools.

The idea being you would create buttonholes based on either a starting anchor point, and then a variable number of buttonholes at a variable distance apart at a variable angle OR a variable number of buttonholes between 2 anchorpoints. Other attributes would define the buttonhole geometry and placement.

3 Likes

I understand…

This is mainly why I asked about the priority list, because the corresponding issue was created nearly 4 years ago, so if you’re not planning to move this feature to Seamly in the near future, I could maybe be of some help trying to implement it before you get the time to do so.

Besides the pleasure to contribute to the project, my goal is to get this feature into Seamly as quickly as possible since it’ll be a very nice improvement, so I wanted to be sure I’m not slowing the development of the feature by working on it if you plan to do so in the next weeks / months. If you do not plan to work on it, even if I don’t succeed, it does not truely matter, so I’ll be happy to give it a try :blush:.

If the corresponding branch of your fork is online I’ll be happy to work on the feature using what you’ve already coded, could you maybe send a link to it?

2 Likes