File error

Seamly steht nie zur Auswahl image

2 Likes

Sie isr vom 1. Februar

1 Like

Wow you can open Seaml2D so your operating system knows it’s there, but it doesn’t appear in the program list under “Open With” option for the .val file.

The error message about the Microsoft Visual C++ file is normal – everyone gets it! We need to a test in the seamly2d-installer.exe whether a user already has the file installed.

2 Likes

image image

Paulette Grundschnitt.val (193,3 KB) Paulette-3.00.-1.00.val (193,5 KB) Paulette-3.00.val (193,5 KB) Calle 1.01. Saum gleich lang.val (92,7 KB) Calle 4.00. Fallte im Rücken.val (98,2 KB) Calle Grundschnitt.val (93,4 KB)

Paullette geht nicht zu öffnen. Calle geht zu öffnen. Mit den gleichen Maßen gebaut. image

1 Like

Please give me the 202-Grosentabelle Bettina.vst file! :smiley:

1 Like

Where are your patterns saved, which directory? Does this match the preferences file directories in Seamly2D?

Here are the default directories in Windows. After installing your directories might have been reset to the default directories. Update your settings if you store your files elsewhere.

1 Like

2020-Größentabelle Bettina.vst (3,3 KB) wird hochgeladen: 2020-Größentabelle Bettina.vst…

1 Like

Your pattern file uses a custom measurement KoU, but KoU isn’t in your .vst file. Please add the custom @KoU using SeamlyME.

1 Like

So there are several problems here: You’ve been opening the .val files with another program, so now…

1. Your operating system is confused about what program it should use to open the .val files.
  2. Seamly2D isn’t showing the proper icons
  3. Your .vst file is missing a custom measurement @KoU (fix this with SeamlyMe and add this custom measurement
  4. Your .val file can’t find the .vst file (The .vst file may be in another directory instead of the seamly2d\measurements\multisize directory.)

#3 & #4 are easy fixes:

• Add the KoU measurement to your .vst file
  • Save the .vst file to your C:\users\scholli\seamly2d\measurements\multisize directory
2 Likes

Hola, me pasa exactamente lo mismo.

1 Like

:frowning: ich habe keine Maße mit@KoU

1 Like

Not an issue if that’s what you want. For Ex… I have .val set to open in WordPad so I can view or edit .val files. The only way a file type (normally) gets associated with another type is if you Open with-> and check the “Always use” button.

Windows 10 dialog…

alwaysuse

One issue to mention is that if you install Valentina after Seamly2D it’s going to mess up the Seam;y2D association with .val - and vice versa. Only fix here is to change the file extension… .s2d and .sme are taken. :frowning:

In more ways than one. I fixed this awhile back to use the red S Seamly logo instead of the V (along with updating the About menu) and then lost the branch stash do to a dumb error with git on my part. I have most of it in a back up… just have to recover it.

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from About Seamly:

@Ttailor: reviewing this thread might help you figure out your file problem.

You should probably uninstall Valentina before installing Seamly, & you may have to ctrl click the file to get a context menu allowing you to “Open with…” or something like that. If Seamly isn’t listed, there should be an option to choose an Application. In the dialog which that opens you should be able to find Seamly. IIRC there will be a checkbox regarding whether to permanently use the selected Application. Select Seamly from the list, & make sure that it is perma-selected.

I hope that helps. My last Mac died at about the time that El Capitan came out, & I’ve been using Linux ever since, so I’m a bit rusty.

:unicorn:

1 Like

I will try again this evening. My daughter walked me through it all from her older macbook, she was able to download and open the program. I have gone through the system preferences menu to allow it to open and to open it anyway. The icon appears in the dock, bouncing, then just doesn’t open, eventually it just disappears off the dock and thats it. Lather rinse and repeat. I have lots of memory available. I ran into this earlier, which is why I installed Valentina in the end. Hmmmm If I uninstall Valentina, I guess all my work so far will be lost unless I can get it back theough time machine. Right?

1 Like

Your files would not need to be removed, but it would be necessary either to re-make them, or edit them with a plain-text editor, such as textedit. I would be happy to help convert your files, if we can figure out how to make Seamly run for you.

1 Like

Just note that after the 2 programs forked … val pattern ver 0.6.0, I believe - the 2 formats are incompatible… and diverge even more as each app adds new features.

That being said, I have no problem on any of my Windows machines running a number of Seamly2D vers as well as Valentina with no problem - other than if you run a different ver of say Seamly2D, it will mix up your preference settings as any version uses the same ini file. I would assume the same holds true for th he Mac or Linux apps?

1 Like

It depends on how it was installed. With the current AppImage on Linux it is possible to have dozens of “installs”, but if it’s built & installed using make install there can only be one, & there’s enough overlap with Valentina that you have to choose which one. As far as I can recall it was the same on the Mac. I don’t know how that may have changed with the new build pipeline.

2 Likes

Interesting, the pattern uses this measurement. @Scholli Do you know what KoU refers to?

2 Likes

Hi, I’m a little frustrated and I hope someone can maybe help me. I’ve worked on my pattern for the last 2 days and as I was creating a pattern piece, the program crashed. Now I get an error when I try to open the file. Here’s what it says:

Critical Error 07.05.2022 20_58_06

Sadly I only have this one file, I didn’t “save as” in between… I’m new to seamly2d and wasn’t aware, that this could be an issue.

1 Like

Replied to here: Error when opening file

1 Like