Existing SVG file as a background

@MrDoo

I have taken a break from active participation in the forum from October 2017 to about now (October 2018) but I expect to be far more active over the weeks between now and the end of the year.

I expect to spend some time revamping the issues list on github and creating small, self contained issue descriptions that could be worked on by fairly new contributors in an independent environment. The key to this is a good desription of the desired function and its interfaces. The use of SVG file as background is a good example of such a small project. I intend to write it up in what I hope will be a way some potential contributor will find manageable.

Thanks again for your suggestion and please check by occasionally. I hope to also correspond with you further about what you have already done with the seamly cloud and related tools

regards, Kim

1 Like

Even a basic image (like a .jpg, .png) would be useful. You could scan patterns you’ve drafted by hand (or from your favorite book). Import the resulting image as a background, and trace over the top of it with Seamly.

2 Likes

I kind of got this working in my local code. I can share these changes if that would be useful to someone as a starting point.

I’m a Java developer and have no knowledge of Qt, so my changes were a bit of a stab in the dark. But they are effective, in that I could take an image and display it behind my pattern. And, it is really useful! I was using existing SVG patterns, but the same approach would work (albeit in a more pixellated fashion) with bitmaps.

However, I made no attempt to work out how to do file selection in Qt and so currently I put the image file name in the code and recompile :slight_smile:

1 Like

I remember that you shared the code before but I haven’t been able to find where to include it :frowning: my programming abilities are minuscule at best :frowning: so if you can give very detailed description of what to do, I’d appreciate it :slight_smile:

@MrDoo If you are willing to share the code, I would love to look at it. The easiest way is for you to push it to the repository. I am about to go close the old issue about cloud interface and write a new issue. Then I will create a branch in the github repository with the appropriate name. Then I will work with you to make sure you know how and are able to push code to that branch.

1 Like

@Grace, I found the code Jason posted here on the forum months ago. It was hidden in this discussion.

So @MrDoo , ignore what I said about pushing THAT code to the repository. It would still be great if you could access github and upload any code snippets that you are willing to share. For example I would love to create an offline utility which reuses some of your code where you allow users to add missing measurements instead of throwing up if a pattern is loaded with an incomplete measurement file.

2 Likes

@mrdoo Yes community is what open source projects are all anout.

1 Like

:slight_smile: I’m really dumb. I made all the changes but can’t get the program to work :frowning:

I could give 100 examples just from this forum to prove the @Grace is NOT dumb. If you have gotten far enough to decide where to put those changes, you are ahead of me. I can build and run the software on my computer. What source file did you think the changes go in? I will try it.

1 Like

I’ll dig out the VM I’d made those changes in and check I didn’t miss anything in the other post. The line numbers referenced in the Jan post may not be correct any longer.

2 Likes

LOL, thanks for the compliment :slight_smile: :blush:

You see… You know the one bit & I know the other bit, together we’d make the perfect whole. I’ve changed the source code but have no idea how to build and run the software :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

1 Like

Oh, @MrDoo, I don’t think that will help. I need to build the source code and I’ve downloaded so much !@!?#@! to try to learn how to try and help fixing bugs or ANYTHING, that I have no idea where to find how to build and execute the program once I’m done.

I double checked the changes that I did way back in time when you originally posted this in the link @kmf posted above and then ran into the same problem I had before.

@Grace - you and I started at approximately the same time with Valentina, now Seamly2D. You have done so much more and so much quicker than I with regard to learning and documenting how to use the tools. You have been a real blessing to many who seem to stop by and need help to figure out how to use the software. You do what you do really well. I seem to have more chaos in my life from the “real world” and have spent less FOCUSed time discovering how the tools work. I have become determined to make sense of the build process and document it well enough that others can use it. Don’t beat yourself up if you are not the best or fastest with code. and @MrDoo, I would appreciate anything you happen to dig up on the background or overlay issue. There are several proposals in the github repository that are related to this in the way they would be technically implemented and I will continue trying to make sense of them and document it well enough so that someone else or a future me can write the code

2 Likes

Awww… Thank you @kmf. In Afrikaans, we have a few sayings, none of which I think I should mention here :blush: but they basically mean that we each have our own talents and things that we are good in. I’m good at figuring out programs and teaching people, so I snagged that area, since I very seldom go anywhere. Please don’t underestimate what you have done on here and what you are doing is so very, very necessary and appreciated. Thank you very much for what you are doing.

I spent the morning downloading and trying to figure out how to package up the source code and gave up. It’s total Greek (or some other language that I don’t speak) to me :frowning:

I’m wondering if someone can’t send me a step-by-step from what to download, how to install and then how to package the program, please?

1 Like

Grace, if you hop on the Discord server, I can attempt to get you up and running. Unless you’re using MacOS, in which case I will certainly be of no help. The chat could use some life, anyway!

2 Likes

Hi, @schwowsers, I registered on there. I’m on Windows 10. And thank you for the help :slight_smile:

I only wish I knew of a step by step instruction on what you need to do. :slight_smile: One of the things I am working on in my free time LOL. Today, I am taking off to sew

1 Like

Once I know the ins & outs, I may be able to do something :slight_smile:

1 Like

@kmf , I have refreshed my local repository, and created a fork (MrDoo71/Seamly2D) and re-tested and committed the changes for background images to that.

Note that the background image won’t show until you’ve loaded a pattern file.

2 Likes

@MrDoo I do not see your repository. I looked both on github and bitbucket. Could you give me a complete URL? thank you very much

1 Like