Duplicating groups

Hi there,

I am quite new to Seamly. I have made a front trouser draft for my right leg, have grouped it, and was wondering if there is a way of duplicating it and flipping it, and removing some details for the left leg. I see a ‘flip’ tool in operations, but I am not clear whether that does what I am looking for - perhaps because I am confused on the difference between an object and a group. Anyway, any help much appreciated!

Thank you, Olivia

2 Likes

Hello @OliviaVF

You may use the Flip tool. Just select the items you wish to mirror, select the node where you want the flip to happen & press Enter. The mirrored nodes will have ‘a1’ added to the original node label and they won’t be in the group that you have created, so you will be able to place them in their own group, if you wish.

You will need to choose the items, that you want mirrored, very carefully because you won’t be able to edit or delete them later without deleting the whole Flip operation. You will be able to add new nodes and curves to those nodes, though.

Personally, in this case, I prefer to draw my back grid separately:

or draw over the front for the back:

1 Like

Thanks so much!! Yes, I think I will draw the back separately, but this works for the front. :grinning:

1 Like

Maybe I can help clarify…

If you use the “Group” tool to add objects (any point or curve is considered an object), this creates a “visibilty” group, where you can show/hide a group from displaying in a draft block. In a sense it analogous to putting objects on a certain layer that can be turned on or off.

When using the Mirror / Rotate / Move operation tools you again select objects to add to a “source group” , and based on the attribute settings for that tool , a resulting “destination group” will be created.

That’s why I prefer to refer to group items, source items, or destination items, and it’s clearer what “group” one is referring to.

And like Grace said, currently you can’t add / delete objects from any of the groups - this is something will change. I’ve worked out add / deleting from a Group tool, so that will happen in the near future… with the operations tools to follow at some point.

4 Likes

Thank you @Douglas ! That’s really clear.

2 Likes

Hallo Douglas, ich weiß nicht ob ich hier genau richtig bin:( Mir ist beim Arbeiten mit den Gruppen etwas aufgefallen. Ich arbeite sehr viel mit den Gruppen und versuche damit die einzelenen Schritte zu dokumentieren. Ist ein Projekt abgeschlossen beinhaltete das immer sehr viele unterschiedliche Gruppen. Besteht die Möglichkeit diese Gruppe so auf zu stellen, dass sie wie bei einem Computer angeordnet sind: z.B. Eine Gruppe Rückenteil mit dem Unterordner Rückenteil_2 usw. Dann könnten man den Group Manager etwas übersichtlicher gestalten.

1 Like

Hi @Scholli

I normally name my groups in sequence. Like:

Back grid Back basic Back shoulder dart closed

And then I name the same with the front. All the different steps are named starting with Front, Back or Sleeve. This way, since Seamly normally lists them in alphabetic order, all the back groups are together, front groups together, etc.

1 Like

Keine schlechte Idee! Dann könnte man in dem Group Manager die Einträge als Treeview darstellen.

1 Like

Aah… that’s a great idea. In other words you would like to see the (visibility) groups as a tree list, rather than just a list? Also I would assume this would only apply if one were drafting say the front and back in the same block… as the group list changes with each draft block.

While Qt has a tree list class, I’d have to think how we could group groups. The one thing we have to avoid is placing objects in more than 1 group… otherwise it becomes a mess as to getting objects to show. Also I would want to limit the depth at which the groups would nest. Actually I’m thinking maybe the depth is limited to 1… where there could be categories (ie folders) , and groups get placed in a category.

So you could have tree something like:

Front … Anchor points … Construction lines

Back … Anchor points … Construction lines

Sleeve … Anchor points … Construction lines

3 Likes

@Grace Ich ordne meine Gruppen in der Regel mit Zahlen: 8 steht immer für Gerüst - 99 für alles was mit Konstruktion zu tun 9 für Kontrollmaße und Änderungspunkte - 6 und 7 für Vorderteil bzw. Rückenteil usw. Die Liste wird aber immer länger:( Dann wäre es gut wenn auch dort bestimme Bereiche zu verstecken oder als Baumstruktur auftauchen. Ich arbeite generell immer mit einem Schnittteil. Gerade fällt mir ein, dass sich diese Idee vielleicht auch verwirklichen könnte, wenn ich mit zusätzlichen Schnittteilen arbeiten würde…

1 Like

It depends on what measurements you may need to use… while each draft block keeps it’s own list of groups, if you need to share measurements from one part to another, it may be easier to combine parts into one block… such as drafting raglan sleeves.

At any rate I’ll give it some thought when I update the group tool.

3 Likes

@Douglas :slight_smile: vielen Dank für deine tolle Arbeit ich efreue mich an jeder neuen Erweiterung!

2 Likes