Ditch the Sequential Nature

Hi @Damay

Yes, this would be really handy. Especially when forming the sleeve cap, to divide the lines between the under arm and the shoulder tip into 3 or more evenly spaced parts in one step.

Yes, at the moment, the move tools only moves the pattern a certain distance and angle. It would be nice to be able to rotate the section at the same time, instead of having to do a separate rotation. This has been discussed with the developers and I believe that it is in the pipeline.

I’m sure @slspencer or @Douglas will stop by soon and let us know if this is at all possible.

In the meantime, thank you very much for your suggestions :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Lowkus: I can certainly see the appeal of this idea, & I don’t know programming, but I do know logic, which is its basis. So I can confidently state that though you are technically correct that such a feat would be possible, Susan is right in saying it can’t be done. To put it in right-brain terms, it would blow this sleek little 50meg race-pony into a multi-gig post-apocalyptic dreadnought – powered by nothing more than one little race-pony. Which left-brain promptly rejects as feasible.

Now, what’s beautiful is that Seamly files are human-readable xml files, & not some proprietary binary format. So you can weave your code like Athena, as Grace does.

But what the devs are working on is cleaning up the code, & implementing tools & layout options. Which will make it easy to Grace-fully code-edit your files or start over from scratch without being overwhelmed, (as long as one has a basic knowledge of pattern-cutting & logic.)

:unicorn:

1 Like

Hola, @Grace, exacto. Eso era lo que necesitaba en la realización de la manga, en la que estaba trabajando. Y también para hacer transformaciones en distintas piezas de patrón seria muy util. Se me ocurre muchas ideas en la que pudiera usar una herramienta así.

Hola, @Grace, exacto. Eso era lo que necesitaba en la realización de la manga, en la que estaba trabajando. Y también para hacer transformaciones en distintas piezas de patrón seria muy util. Se me ocurre muchas ideas en la que pudiera usar una herramienta así.

2 Likes

No sabia que estaban trabajando en eso. Seria muy buena esa opción en las piezas de trabajo. Gracias por responderme. Saludos

I didn’t know they were working on it. That option would be very good in the work pieces. Thanks for answering me. Cheers

2 Likes

It’s on my list of things to do. Segmenting a line, arc or curve is a precursor to being able to automate button / buttonholes - or for that matter any other defined “symbol”. The idea being that you would have a dialog to enter the start and end points, number of segments, and the type of symbol to place at the segment points. Plus a few other things like symbol rotation and offset. That’s the gist of it.

The question is, would this tool simply replace the current midpoint tools?.. as you could simply enter 2 (segments) to get the midepoint. Or do we keep the midpoint tool as a convenience?

2 Likes

I quite like the current midpoint tool because it sets the scene for me (lazy, lazy) and then I change the /2 to /3 or *4 or whatever I need in the formula. However, the Point along line tool will also work for this tool.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually the Midpoint tool is a “convience” special case for the Point Along Line tool. I’d be inclined to just leave it.

4 Likes

No. Seamly2D is linear in nature, and the anology in video editing terms would be only able to edit existing events in a forward time sequential manner. Unlike with NLE’s (non linear editors) that allow you to edit “Back to the Future” events out of sequence. As Susan pointed out it’s due to the parametric nature of the program and the use of formulas to define objects.

We simply don’t have a Delorean with a flux capacitor to know the future or alternate realities. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The function needed here, is to place a point back in the creation history: for example I would have created:

1. Point A
  2. Point B
  3. Point C = 0.7 * A

1. Point M = (A + B) / 2

and than I would need to change point C to 0.7 * M … So the function should take point M and place it at position 3. The function should look for the earliest position, so that all values are known.

2 Likes

It is possible, using the History panel, to place objects earlier in the sequence of the same draft block. It is also nitroglycerin for your draft. Be very careful. Thankfully, the devs have made Seamly2D to fail safe in this circumstance, but it is not graceful.

1 Like

So we would need a button in the History dialog for ‘Sort’ which implements the ‘Tree Sort’ algorithm to optimize the creation of points and objects within a single draft block. This does not allow using information from a later draft block in a previous draft block. The “sequential nature” of reality will be preserved.

3 Likes

And if anyone wants a new Points tool to add multiple evenly-distributed points along a line (“Multi-point tool”), please add a feature request issue to github here:

1 Like

This is a traditional patternmaking technique, it would be good to add this to our toolbox. If you want an Operations tool for “Pattern rotation”, please add a new feature request to the github repo at Issues · FashionFreedom/Seamly2D · GitHub.

Also, we encourage everyone to keep the threads simple, if you have a new thought it’s okay to create a new post to discuss it. Otherwise some of the best ideas get buried and forgotten in unrelated threads. We’d like for your voice to be heard (and remembered :blush:)

3 Likes

Awww, I liked the first draft of that post better! :crazy_face:

I think that ‘Tree Sort’ algorithm is shiny! It might be good to make grouping/layering more memorable, & make it more obvious that different pattern blocks work better for different outfit pieces than for different pattern pieces?

2 Likes

Can you clarify this thought, it’s intriguing…

2 Likes

@slspencer I’m not real sure where my mind took a different train here.

As far as making it more obvious, the recent renaming of the first mode to “Draft” may be as far as it’s reasonable to go on that front without including such a note in tutorials.

As far as different outfit pieces per draft block. There are a myriad of tiny reasons, but the most stable reason is that it makes it easier to add a measurement to one part based on a measurement found by drafting a different part. It would also help with taking advantage of a “tree sort” algorithm, if/when that’s implemented.

As far as putting whole outfits into one VAL, it seems that it would make it easier to keep track of where the disparate pieces were, especially when used with setups like thumbeliya mentioned wanting in Automating loading measurements and exporting.

1 Like

@Pneumarian, to continue this idea please open a new thread maybe add drawings to describe what you want, Thanks!

2 Likes

Hola. Se que es un tema antiguo, y disculpen si ya se discutio y no me entere. Como quedo este punto?

Hello. I know it’s an old topic, and sorry if it was already discussed and I didn’t find out. How was this point?

1 Like

Hola

En su momento no segui esta indicacion, porque no sabia como hacerlo y tampoco pregunte. Mal por mi. Lo intentare ahora.

Hello At the time I did not follow this indication, because I did not know how to do it and I did not ask either. Bad for me. I’ll try it now.

1 Like

Hello, @Damay

Various items have been moved down the list of todo’s because of needed upgrades to the software that Seamly uses to write the program. However, @Douglas is back up on track and will get to this as soon as he can.

1 Like