Detail seam allowance goes inside out

Hello, First of all hello and thank you! I discovered this software a few days ago and have been using it for about 3 days straight to draft my first pair of trousers - it’s amazing!
I have a problem, when I create the back panel detail the seam allowance at the bottom appears inside out. I’ve deleted and recreated different bits of the pattern and I cannot fix it. There doesn’t seem to be a problem if I create the panel in 2 separate pieces (each one is correct) - but I haven’t been able to union them because it doesn’t seem to label enough points on each part to do that (and anyway that was not a nice workaround). I’m sure there’s something I’ve done weird in one node that is causing it to glitch but I cannot find it anywhere… Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Simon Trousers_v2.val (31.9 KB)

3 Likes

Hi and welcome, @ambrosebrown

I will need the measurements file as well, please, to open the pattern and see why it’s doing this.

1 Like

Thank you! Here they are:

SimonMeasurements_10July2020.vit (1.3 KB)

2 Likes

The reason for your strange seam allowance is because of this curve handle:

It needs to point upwards at approximately 90 degrees:

2 Likes

Thank you so much!! I’m ready to print. Really appreciate your help.

1 Like

Ok, this one is a bit more complex.

When you select the nodes and curves to make up your pattern piece, you need to select the node (Label) between them as well - on both the front and the back piece.

You can use the Insert a Node tool since you have already created the piece:

image image

Once you have done that, go back to the Detail board and open the Options of the pattern piece by right-clicking on it and selecting Options.

You will find the 2 nodes at the bottom of the list, crossed out: image

You will need to drag them up the list to their positions between the curves and to right-click on them and click on the Excluded to remove the checkmark.

Do the same on the back panel:

And now that I have come this far with this problem, I’m also having problems with Valentina’s Union tool.

I’m going to try it with Seamly2D. I’ll come back to you shortly.

One extra tip… If you want to use the Union tool, it’s best to have the pattern pieces laid out so that they can easily join down a centre line without having to flip the pattern. I don’t think that your layout will work as it is.

This is what I get with Seamly2D:

And another option to using the Union tool would be to do the flipping in the Drawing board and then make only 1 pattern piece.

1 Like

This is really good to know thanks. The union was only a workaround and your tip to fix the handle solved the seam problem. So now I’m ready to print (I think - I’m sanity checking every measurement against various trousers I own to make absolutely sure before I commit !!) Thanks again.

2 Likes