Detail mode: how can I extend the internal paths in the seam allowance?

Good evening!

As said in the title, I was wondering if there was a way to extend the lines of internal paths “inside” the seam allowance : as shown here in the screencap, I would like my dart lines not to stop before reaching the edge of my pattern x)

Picture1

Does anyone have a idea ? :slight_smile:

It took me a while to figure out why your pattern looks so different to mine :smiley:

What I do is… When selecting the detail, I select A43a2, A53, the point of the dart and A5. I don’t make the dart an internal path, it becomes part of my outline. Like this:

Then when you add the seam allowance, it takes it into the dart as well.

(I still can’t figure out your pictures :face_with_raised_eyebrow: )

I hope this helps.

2 Likes

i was just trying to figure out how to do this with internal paths and I came across your very recent post where you made excellent use of the seam allowance tool to solve the issue.

For your entertainment, I will upload a very simple val file that I am working with and which I will probably turn into part of a tutorial on using the true dart tool. I also need to figure out how to use the internal path tool (I never have) and I seem to be stuck on “you must select a detail to attach the internal path”) I am done for this night, but I will figure it out soon.

Meanwhile, here is a screenshot and the .val file with a simple square containing a dart and what I hope are descriptive variable names. If anyone is not familiar with the term D1prime or D2prime, I used those to indicate points which were exactly the same place as D1 and D2. I did this because I was selecting points in the following order for the workpiece: dart-extended-detail-points

and this screenshot shows the completed piece in the “draw” mode

and here is the val file containing the detail. I have not decided yet whether the APEX point needs to be in the main path. darts-to-edge.val (4.6 KB)

2 Likes

If you click on the little arrow, a list of all your pattern pieces that you have already created will be listed. Select the one that the internal path must be printed on.

It’s really very easy :smile: but you need to create the pattern first, once you click on OK, you can create your internal parts and pins, etc.

Oh! And you need to be on the Pattern tab for the piece you want to add the internal paths.

1 Like

Ah yes, I hadn’t thought of that, very clever (and easy) way to get it of the problem, thanks a lot! :smiley:

1 Like

[quote=“Gabi, post:1, topic:2412”] Good evening!

As said in the title, I was wondering if there was a way to extend the lines of internal paths “inside” the seam allowance : as shown here in the screencap, I would like my dart lines not to stop before reaching the edge of my pattern x)

1 Like

As shown above, I don’t make my darts internal paths, I ‘cut’ them out when I create the pattern detail. Then I add the seam allowance of 1cm. You can also make the dart lines 0cm seam allowance, if you wish.

If you use the internal path method for your darts, you will have to adjust the outer line to accommodate the dart and create a smooth line once the seams are sewn and the inner fabric of dart is folded in the direction of your choice. You will be able to add passmarks to the intersection to mark where the dart line goes.