Designs bades on the block

Good day,

can I get help on how to design a pattern after I have done the basic Front and bodice block please

2 Likes

Welcome…

Once you have created blocks in Draft mode, you need to create Pattern Pieces from the blocks using the New Piece tool.

new_piece@2x

After clicking the piece tool, you can select nodes (points and curves) in a clockwise direction that define the piece. Any number of pieces can be created from a single block. Once you’ve selected your nodes and press return, the Piece Tool dialog will pop up to allow you to set some initial properties of the piece. To continue editing and adding to the the piece, you need to switch to piece mode. From here you can select a piece and edit it properties, such as seam allowance, notches, grainline, etc.

Once you get this far with some pieces created, we can help you figure out how to add details to them, or to then take to create a Layout that you can then print. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you so much I have gone that far added seam allowance added text and notches. I also did a print layout and I am not so happy with the way it spreads tile prints and have so many blank pages. I print on A4, is there anyway I can change the settings to make the print layout better and not skip pages.

Regards Wakho

2 Likes

Hi & welcome, @Wakho. If I’m printing directly from Seamly2D, I normally reduce the margins to about 0.5cm and then I also check if changing to landscape won’t fit the pattern pieces in better.

I normally export the pattern to .svg and import it into Inkscape to refine the layout, but printing the paged PDF’s from there is a pain, so I normally do this in Illustrator.

1 Like

Besides what Grace said, experimenting with the layout settings might help. I assume there is a logic to what settings work best, but I have to experiment every time.

:unicorn:

1 Like

I use a plotter, but if I need to tile print I will usually play with the layout size, and then print as tiled PDF. I then skip printing blank pages… or pages that have very tiny bits of pieces that can just be drawn in.

2 Likes

thank you so much this is going in the right direction your help is much appreciated

2 Likes

For small files, I use inkscape for tiled print after optimizing the pieces layout. There is a nice instruction on how to do it in this link: https://growyourownclothes.com/2015/04/03/creating-tiled-pdfs-in-inkscape/

For large files, I use Latex, which provides very neat tiled printout pdf based on a A0 (or larger) pdf. Instructions can be found here. Mind you, if you are not already a LateX user because you happen to work in a mathematical/engineering/scientific world, it is far from easy to set everything up and understand what you do. http://leolca.blogspot.com/2010/06/pdfposter.html

2 Likes

Actually if you’re going to use Inkscape (Corel Draw, Illustrator, etc) you can skip the layout and just export your pieces to DXF or SVG from Piece mode… assuming one is going to rearange the pieces to optimize the layout anyway.

2 Likes

Thank you I will look at these links much appreciated

1 Like