Deleting pattern pieces

Hi, I’m new here and made my first patterns in the Seamly2D software and love it. I’ve made a several different pattern pieces (different styles) of a brief in 1 document so I could compare the different styles. Is it now possible to delete the pattern piece in the document so I keep only the one I think is best for me? Or must I draw that one again from scratch? Thanks for your comments.

Kris

2 Likes

wenn du etwas löschen möchtest, muss den den ganzen Weg rückwärts gehen, dabei aber beachtet welche Verknüpfungen du mit den einzelnen Punkten hast. Diese kann man dann nicht löschen:)

Eine Möglichkeit ist einzelnen Schritte in Gruppen zu verstecken. Du kannst dann immer darauf zurückgreifen oder du speicherst die unterschiedlichen Hosen in einzelnen Datein ab.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome, @Kriske

Yes, as @Scholli says, you can hide the ones you don’t want in groups, just in case you would like them later. And then, you can only create the pattern in Piece for the one style for printing or cutting.

If you have already created all the pattern pieces, you can also choose which ones you would like to print and which ones not in Piece mode:

And you can always delete parts of the pattern in Piece Mode without any problems.

Thanks @Scholli and @Grace for your reply. I had noticed that for deleting something I have to do this step by step, backwards. I’ve also used the group tool for the comparing and it is very useful to see only what you need. That made it easy to compare!

So now I’ve a file with 4 briefs (4 pattern pieces) and I’ve choosen the one I want to go further with. So to not create a big file and to get a clean start for this brief I had hoped to seperate that piece in a “new” file by coping or deleting the others and saving as a new file. It would be the basic to start from for all the other models that will follow. Because the pattern pieces are a sort of “layer” separate form the others pieces, I thought it might be able to delete the “layer” instead of step by step. But I understand that that is not possible?

So to get a clean file I start over and draw it again? It is’nt that much of a job in this case, but if there was an easier option it was good to know.

The discovery of the piece mode is still in his first steps for me so I can explore the tip above. Thanks allready!

2 Likes

Ah! If you have them in separate layers, that’s a bit different :grinning:

You can try to ‘hack’ the pattern. First make a copy of the pattern and then open the copy in a line editor, like Notepad++. Find the layers that you wish to delete and comment them out for now - you will need to do this for the groups, as well. Save the file and open it in Seamly and check that it works and that only the correct bits are still there.

If everything is well, then you can actually delete the lines that are commented out.

1 Like

Actually, that is possible! Right-click the initial node of the piece draft you wish to annihilate, (A, B, C, D by default,) & select Delete. This will discard that entire draft block. If you only have one draft block this option will be greyed out so you can’t use it.

:unicorn:

3 Likes

Oh, wow! @Pneumarian

I forgot about that one. Thank you.

1 Like

Dont forget that if there are object dependencies in a pattern piece, the draft block can’t be deleted.

Also - Can’t delete the first draft block A… there has to be at least one block.

That being said… I believe I addressed this in my own fork, where I added a “Delete” block item in the tool menu. Can’t recall (it’s been awhile since I’ve looked at my fork code) I if I figured a way to “clear” the A block if one is trying to delete that block. Also I can’t recall if you can delete the A block if the current number of blocks > 1, where B becomes the first block? I’ll take a look this weekend.

BTW, I also had added a “Piece” menu that contained the pattern piece (not to be confused with draft blocks) actions… it had it’s own item to delete a pattern piece. There is no limit on which pieces you can delete, other than the dependencies.

1 Like

“A” block can be deleted if there’s a “B” block.

An option to clear a block would be kinda nice.

Here’s an empty block stack where I made four blank blocks, deleted “A” block, made a fifth block, & gave it a second point. blockstack.val (1.4 KB)

1 Like

So we can delete block A - or more specifically the 1st block… as long as there are at least 2 blocks. But then, if one were to delete all the blocks, it might just be easier to start a New pattern. :slight_smile:

At any rate a “Delete” for the blocks is a clearer option than knowing to select and delete the basepoint.

2 Likes

There’s a long standing Github issue for deleting a draft block - formerly incorrectly known as pattern pieces. This one should be an easy one to knock off the list since I’ve already done it before. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oy vey… got home and took a quick look at my fork and the current Seamly2D… it’s NOT a good idea to delete a draft block other than the current last one. You will run into all sorts of issues with the draft block and point naming. The app is remembering the current letter prefix, while the basepoint is incremented… and the letter prefix is not reused if you delete an earlier block. That is, while you may have sonething like a basepoint of D… the point names be named C1, C2…etc. You’ll also run into a “name already in use” if you delete a block and then create a new block… as the current block number and the next available block number are out of sync. Worse yet the geometry will get all out of sync, as you may be editing D1, but the geometry is for C1.

Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose. That is - Nothing with this app ever gets easy. :frowning: I’ll have to fix the code to keep things in sync when deleting a block.

UPDATE: The issues I’ve found are related to the fact that the draft blocks are tracked by the “count” of the list… so lets assume you’ve added blocks A, B, and C… and the current block is C. The list count is 3. Then if you delete B… the list count is 2. So if you add a new block - count now = 3 again, it correctly adds the D basepoint, but since the count is 3, the point names begin with C. :frowning: The more blocks you delete, the more the count is decremented, and the further out of sync the current block base point becomes with the current (new) point name prefix.

Also the default name for a new block relies on the draft block list count + 1… like PatternPiece2, PatternPiece3, etc… but if you delete blocks, the count is less and you will get a name already in use. So… besides changing the default name to “DraftBlock” + some number, I have to refactor the code to correctly track what the next current block should be, regardless of the list count. The default name issue shouldn’t be a problem as I’ve already resolved that issue in the Workpiece dialog with the pattern piece name - where a number will get recycled, and in use numbers are skipped over. Which incidentally means there would be no correlation between a default draft block name and it’s number in the list. In other words DraftBlock2, may not be the second draft block… just the second block with a (unchanged) default name.

Syncing the current block with the proper (point) name prefix will be a little trickier.

UPDATE:

Hate the consecutive post limit. :frowning:

Anyways, I’ve been working on this issue… I’ve fixed the new default name issue, and added a Delete Draft Block to the tool menu. Here’s the big issue, and I’d like some input. Like I mentioned before there’s an issue with the base name prefix if you delete draft blocks… the solution would seem to be to add an base prefix attribute in the < draw > element - which should be < draft > - but that aside… this may turn out to be a good thing. One thing that’s bugged me since day 1 is that one is locked into block 1 being A, block 2 - B, and so on. I don’t work that way. I draft a back first - which logically should be B… then the Front - for which I use F, sleeves - S, collar - C… you get the idea. If I add a new prefix attribute, we can do away with forced A-Z, and allow one to set the base prefix when a block is created… of course checking for uniqueness. So instead of checking the block’s index count against an A-Z string, we would simply get the block’s prefix that was set when created. This should solve the deleted blocks issue as well as allowing one to customize the base prefix - eliminating the problem of the prefix always reverting to the auto generated prefix.

Any thoughts?

4 Likes

Thank you. I was abel to do that!

2 Likes

My thoughts are always a little complicated to put down in words, but here goes…

I very seldom work with different drawing/drafting boards because I may like to join pieces together to make a whole item, like in the case of a boiler suite where one would join the bodice to the trousers and match the seams and darts or join the sleeve to the bodice to create a raglan. Hence my extensive use of groups. :slight_smile:

I really do love your idea of of customizing the prefix and I’m wondering if there is any way that one could customize the prefix on the same drawing/drafting board, from this point forward until further notice type of thing? This would be really handy when drafting the linings & canvasses on suits, etc. where you actually want to see the additional nodes, added to an already very busy pattern, for these items.

1 Like

Well… being forced with a clean slate at this point anything is possible.

But, yes… the way I had it you were free to change the prefix within a draft block. Basically what I did is free one from being stuck with the A, B, C… Z block prefix with every new point, and the prefix drop down remembers the last used prefix. Also the drop down would add prefixes it’s item list do you could then switch back and forth between prefixes. The tricky part was figuring out how to be able to save a preset of prefixes and merge it with a loaded pattern’s prefixes without having doubles. Just hope my near idetic memory remembers what I did before. Ughhh.

2 Likes

This sounds amazing! Can’t wait for the update :grinning: :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

At the moment if I create Three blocks Seamly assigns a letter prefix based on the order of creation: creating:

1. Front
  2. Back
  3. Sleeve

Internally to Seamly Sleeve will be always “C”, and the new points being created begin always with C, even If I change the name of first point in the block to “S”.

Also I think this is related to the issue when deleting blocks, the program remembers the letter assigned at creation…

Is there a way around this?

1 Like

The 1st draft block that you create in Seamly has the prefix of “A” in the label and the starting node is labelled “A”. After that, you may rename the nodes using anything that you like, but the generated label will always be “A” with the next unused number following it.

The 2nd draft block will be “B” and the same will apply as with the 1st draft block, except that the prefix to the labels will be “B” instead of “A”. Once again, you may rename the labels, as long as those names haven’t appeared anywhere else in the file.

With this in mind, I can only think that you put your sleeve on the 3rd draft block and this is why the nodes have the prefix of “C” and has nothing to do with the deleting of blocks but rather the number of drafting blocks that you have preceding the sleeve block.

Odd, I remembered this issue being fixed. It gets even more confusing starting with the 27th Draft Block.

1 Like

Well… I did fix the issue, but it was in the Great Harddrive Crash, and it never made it into thd repo.

And yes… as it currently sits, after X, Y, Z… the Blocks go to AA, BB, CC… where I think we talked about it should go AA, AB, AC… BA, BB, BC? But, realistically… I don’t see most users ever getting close to needing AA.

2 Likes