Default patterns to ship with Seamly

This would simplify the project greatly. I was under the impression that the pattern making system itself could be protected, but if it is not an issue then I could much more easily build Seamly files for the basic block designs. I will probably try to look into that this week. You mentioned US law, do we know for sure it would be fine to distribute the software with something like the Aldrich or McCunn blocks included? Is the program US based? If another country, then do that countries laws differ, or is the non-copywriteabilty a worldwide thing?

1 Like

This was the first thing we investigated in 2009. It’s ok to create patterns with Seamly from formulas printed in ANY pattern book.
The whole point of having pattern systems (look at Seamly Preferences) was to enable easy generation of blocks and patterns for each pattern book.
Unfortunately the implementation of the pattern systems was combined with the implementation of translations. This made our translations exponentially bloated and cumbersome (each language x each pattern system). It also rendered our pattern systems unusable. :crying_cat_face: image

1 Like

Of course, that’s a given. I was not clear. I meant specifically in regards to this thread and the Seamly program providing pattern blocks for people to start from

1 Like

If I were to create my own document showing the process (step by step instructions) listing what tool from Seamly2D I used to draw the pattern, include the formulas, measurements etc. used to create the pattern is that copywrite able material? Even if the initial method came from a book. Obviously, I would reference the book. My document would be then used to teach others how to recreate their own versions of this pattern. Example: teaching a workshop on how to draft pattern blocks using Seamly2D.

1 Like

I did a similar thing with Aldrich. I think… as long as you don’t quote from the book, it should be ok and can serve as an advertisement for their book & can increase sales. But the best would be to send them an email requesting written permission to use their book in this way. That way, you may get an affiliate for the sales made and you’ll be fully covered.

1 Like

Theoretically, yes. You could create your own book and the book is copyrightable, but again the process is not. Bigger issue may be, and you would have to ask Susan, but are the names Seamly, Seamly2D, and SeamlyMe trademarked, and would you to have have permission to use the name(s)?

For example… you could write a recipe book and in an ingredient list state 1 cup of ketchup. What you can’t do is state 1 cup Heinz Ketchup… without permission.

2 Likes