Darts that end on a curved line

My question is about correcting the dart leg lengths when they terminate on a predrawn curve. My process was to draw the upper portion of the dart first, then draw the hem line curve. I extended the centre of the dart down to intersect with the hem curve at point A77, then did the same for the points A85 and A86. Since the dart terminates on a curve the line lengths are not equal. If I was drafting on paper I would square off from A77 and then correct the curve on either side. I cannot seem to find a way to do that here. Is it because the points A85 A86 and A77 are developed by an intersection with the original curve?

2 Likes

At the moment we don’t have a True Darts tool for darts that open along a curve, or for open-ended darts. What I suggest you do is this:

• Extend Line A82_A86 to be the length of Line_A83_A85 with Point along Line tool, call it point X.
  • Create a curve from A68 to point X. The 1st angle will be perpendicular to Line_A63_A68. The 2nd angle will be (Line_A86_A82 - (180 - 1st angle of Spl_A85_A73 - Line_A85_A83) ). You can lookup & select the 1st angle of Spl_A85_A73 using the f(x) button.
2 Likes

I mirror the dart from a center line so that the length is equal.

3 Likes

HI @shrymp! What method you choose to create the other dart leg so that it is equal to Line_A83_A85 is up to you. Once you have that new point, create a curve from A68 to the new point. The angle between Line_A86_A82 and the 2nd control handle of the new curve must be equal to 180 - the angle between Line_A85_A83 and the 1st control handle of Spl_A85_A73.

2 Likes

Okay, i will try this. So happy you understood what I was getting at! I used point intersection with a curve tool I believe to draw in the lower part of the dart, so I will fiddle around with your idea and see if I can do that.

1 Like

I am pretty new to this program, and I would love to see the process you use to mirror the dart! Any chance of walking through it?

1 Like

Hi @Ttailor! I’m done for today, ping me tomorrow and I’ll make something more detailed for us to work with.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the offer! my day went sideways and today is going the same way. I will like to connect at some point.,

2 Likes

@Ttailor Just send me a private message when you have time.

1 Like