Copying partial curve

Is there a way to duplicate just a portion of a curve? I’d like to make a mirror of the end of this curve, so that if I fold over the fabric the two curves will lay atop one another… PartialCurveCopy

2 Likes

No. You would have to make the curve up as a series of smaller curves… which is what a curve path (in one tool) is anyways.

You could however copy and flip the whole curve, and then by segmenting it create your pattern piece using just segments of the copied curve.

2 Likes

If you have point A and B on a curve, is there a tool to create a segment between those points?

2 Likes

Hello, @Lowkus

Yes. The tool to do this is the Segment a Path tool:

In this example, I have added a node 4cm from the end of the curve, so I selected the whole curve in Formula > Length of Curve section and deducted the 4cm from it. If the node was to be at the beginning of the curve, I would’ve just used the 4cm, without using the length of the curve.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Segment a Curved Path doesn’t seem to work on the Curve Tool.

2 Likes

If it’s a Simple Curve then you must use this tool:

In either case, you first need to select the line of the curve to get to the box to enter your formula.

FYI… When using the tools, there is a mini help in the bottom right of your screen.

1 Like

It’s getting too convoluted, I can’t use these steps. This program needs a feature that copies a segment, and it needs a feature that allows creating a segment between two points on a curve.

2 Likes

Which OS and version of Seamly are you using?

Please send me your pattern and measurement files so that I can check on my system.

1 Like

When I say I can’t use the steps, I just mean that I cannot spend the time to implement them, not that they might not work.

2 Likes

Just so I got this straight… You want one of us to spend the time to reimplement a tool that kinda already exists because you feel the tool is too convoluted, and you “cannot spend the time”?

2 Likes

I would try to implement it myself but there was something about the QT license agreement that didn’t sit right with me so I didn’t register to download it. If Seamly2D was written to use wxWidgets instead then I think I would attempt to edit the code in that case. But also my C++ skills are pretty bad at this point, I’ve only been learning it for the last year and at that my time has only allowed me to study it on occasional evenings.

2 Likes