Collaborative Seamly2D/ME Manual

@Grace - Looking forward to seeing it. Upload the manual here, and I’ll put it in our GSuite area so we can make edits to it collaboratively.

@slspencer

I can’t upload the Word versions of the manual :sob:

1 Like

I haven’t tried, but can docx be uploaded?

:unicorn:

1 Like

@Grace - I enabled upload of .doc, .docx, .xls, and .xlsx. Try to upload it again.

2 Likes

Tools Cheat Sheet.docx (145.9 KB)

Ah! Thank you, there it worked. But the actual files are larger than 3.91 KB, so they were rejected.

2 Likes

Here’s a link to what I produced last year: Seamly Manual - Google Docs. I am iffy about some of the introductory paragraphs, which is short-circuiting my ability to get any more done. I am particularly interested in whether @slspencer thinks it a good summation of Seamly’s goal & journey.

2 Likes

My penny’s worth…

In the History section, I think it should just be kept short… Susan’s program, RT’s program (merging the 2), the split in 2017, getting Douglas on board 2018 and the mention of everyone who has worked on the program inbetween. Just the bare bones of how the program came about - a timeline, if you wish.

There’s a saying in Afrikaans that I translate for you… “Moenie ou koeie uit die sloot grawe nie” - “Don’t dig old cows out of the ditch”… Sometimes, it just doesn’t help us to move forward, because we get stuck in the past.

I really do like the summary of how to use the tools at the beginning and it makes a very nice start point to add step-by-step picture instructions later in the document… or we can just keep the printable manual short & sweet and set the wiki up with the step-by-step picture instructions that can be easily edited at the time of change?

2 Likes

I vote we leave out the history section. That’s not a ‘How to use’ topic.

2 Likes

Okay. However, what we do need is a brief welcome which expresses the character of the project. My early draft did not do that, & my current draft probably doesn’t cut it either, but we do need something more than pure info-dump. Even infographics try to be more than that.

2 Likes

I’ll have a look at the intro/welcome page. At least we now have a start, so if anyone has any suggestions or would like to collaborate, please let us know.

1 Like

Bonjour,

J’aimerais bien vous aider car je trouve que ça permet de mieux maîtriser l’application. Mais j’ai peur que mon niveau en anglais et mes connaissances de seamly ne soient pas suffisantes. En revanche, je pense pouvoir aider sur la version française. Donc n’hésitez pas à me solliciter si je peux aider. Votre travail est vraiment merveilleux.

Bonne journée

2 Likes

Bonjour. Merci beaucoup, @Clauettedu02. Une fois que nous serons satisfaits du résultat, nous le confierons à un traducteur et vos services seront alors très appréciés pour vérifier que le traducteur fait du bon travail :slight_smile:

Until we have a setup for properly collaborating, I’m undertaking to update my tool list. I have started including a “Default Appearance” line, but am unsure if that is more of over-detailed for the job.

1 Like

intro_seamly2D.docx (3,9 MB) This is a general introduction to the basic concepts of Seamly2D that I wrote after my initial struggles with the program. Maybe it can serve for the general manual? I think it is really important to introduce the basic concepts before the details of the tools etc. In the documents there are placeholders for more detailed descriptions in further chapters. I hope it can find some use

6 Likes

Wow! @peterh, this is really nice. Thank you very much.

I was thinking what else is needed for the manual. It is a long list, but parts are already available or can be completed / edited from existing material. But do we have a HELLO WORLD pattern? I was thinking of using a pattern for a baby’s drool bib. I made a nice one for my grandson recently, and the pattern has curves and mirroring, squaring and some other basic operations, but is simple and quick to do. It does have two draft blocks, however, which is also nice. Would that be worth working out, or is there already an existing simple example?

4 Likes

Unfortunately, no we do not have an official introduction pattern even though we have discussed the need for it. A baby’s bib would be a bit more appropriate for co-workers to walk in on than the panties pattern that most of us got our start on. So it’s a great choice. However, I will regret not making an apron tutorial years ago. :face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes

Sounds great, @peterh

As @Pneumarian said, this has been under discussion to be included in the program that shows on startup, to get new users going. We all cut our teeth on that famous panty pattern :rofl:

I’m also looking at making adult bibs for the frail care at the Old Age Home, but haven’t put much thought into it, so will be happy to see your bib pattern :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

We have a share directory available our software that has really old patterns. This directiry needs to be cleaned out and the patterns updated for each new version.

1 Like