Beta site for sharing patterns - we need patterns!

website
patterns

The pattern sharing website https://my-pattern.cloud/ has been launched in ‘Beta’. The site allows you to upload and share patterns.

When you upload patterns it analyses them so that it knows what measurements are used, and then when you share them with someone the system can prompt them for the required measurements.

We need you! We need some patterns to be uploaded in order to test this analysis against real world patterns.

All patterns that you upload are private by default. If you have patterns that others would benefit from and would like to share them then please share them with the public ‘Valentina Forum Members’ group (which you’ll automatically become a member of when you register).

This is a soft launch to iron out bugs. Please be patient with us, and provide any feedback through the tab in the system.

Thanks

Jason

Skirt pattern
Valentina importer

Thanks Jason, this looks fantastic. I am looking forward to trying it out!

I created an account for myself as a designer and uploaded one of the test patterns I have created. I am multitasking - creating wiki tutorials on pattern blocks using the McCunn method and also creating useful patterns for costume making at a local theater. I am curious about validation errors reported when I uploaded the pattern. I have several other patterns that I can upload as I get the time. Please let me know if there is any specific area where you want feedback

Thanks.

I will look into the error logs. If you are happy to send the pattern by email I can check out whether what issues the system is having with it. (If so, please mail to admin@my-pattern.cloud).

Cheers

Jason

Ciao ho caricato un modello creato con valentina, molto semplice, spero puo essere utile. cosa devo fare ??’ non ho ben capito Grazie Laura

Hello I uploaded a template created with valentine, very simple, I hope it can be useful. what should I do ??’ I did not understand Thank you Laura

Thanks for uploading a pattern. To share it use the … icon at the end of the row and choose share.

The system is under constant development, all feedback is welcome.

Jason

Grazie ora ho condiviso. Spero sia giusto Thank you Now I shared. I hope it is right Laura

I uploaded a few more patterns, including one with increments. a few were very simple patterns that did not use a measurement file. I see the status “not parsed” next to those names. The others seem to have been parsed and a status showing the number of drawing objects and in one case the number of increments shows up. I have no particular need to share these, I just did it to help you test. Please let me know if I may be of further assistance

Brilliant, thanks.

i’ll take a look at those that the system didn’t understand completely.

Cheers,

Jase

What about pattern licenses ???

Who is is the site editor ???

What is the business model of this site ??? Look like a kind of Github store for pattern.

I will never upload my patterns to such site without any legal aspect. It is too easy to grab patterns and then to do business with them.

For me, the main advantage of Valentina is the GPL license.

Pattern is code, thus a web infrastructure like Github (or bitbucket etc.) should be more appropriate to share creative commons licensed patterns. At least as backend.

Allowing people to specify a licence, including the various Creative Commons licences when they share patterns is important and is a planned enhancement. Perhaps this should go to the top of the list.

Sites like Github for sharing code are great, for conventional code which is written to be human readable. You cannot simply read the XML from a .VAL file and understand it though. The idea with this site is that it can present the Valentina pattern file in a human readable form. Ultimately this will hopefully include visualisation aspects so you can see how patterns written by others work for your measurements. So, yes, you are right, this is a bit like Github for patterns.

Many people write code which they are willing to share for the common good (Valentina being an example). Valentina as you point out is GPL, but there is a vast amount of great code under even more open licences like MIT and Apache. Other code is licensed under commercial terms. The same applies to any creative endeavour.

There will be people (myself included) that will freely share some patterns because this is a hobby (mine aren’t good enough though yet!). There will be others for whom the pattern represents an investment that they won’t share, perhaps because their livelihood depends on it. Some people may want to share a pattern freely and then offer other patterns under other terms. The pattern sharing aspect of this site is for those that want to share their work, (but you don’t have to). Even if you don’t want to share work, many people will benefit from being to able to see how others are using Valentina or by downloaded basic blocks rather than having to build them from scratch.

Personally, I’m working on some vintage patterns and dress making systems (e.g. Haslam) which are out of copyright and thus public domain. There are probably other people doing exactly the same thing. This is wasted effort if we can share our work and learn from each other.

Hopefully it is clear that the site and the facilitates that it offers are at an early stage of development. The intention is to make if useful as quickly as practical. If it turns out that it isn’t useful to the Valentina userbase then it won’t be continued.

Jason

Interesting, why is this advantage for you? How do you benefit from GPL?

Agree. Github can be good as backend.

Unfortunately most time when people ask about such a web site they don’t wish to upload patterns. They seek free patterns for themselfs. This is the main reason why this idea has serious problems.

Jon Philips of Creative Commons, #NewPalmyra, and OpenClipArt.org helped to define the Creative Commons licensing structure for art, etc.

Jon was one of the early supporters of this project in 2010, and he has offered us some valuable advice. He suggests strongly that we go with the CC-by-3.0 license. OpenClipArt found that it was too complicated when users could choose which license was applicable for their work. This is because most users don’t understand the differences between licenses. They switched to allowing only artwork released into the public domain.

Consider this:
XML isn’t considered to be code, it is considered data.
SVG isn’t considered to be code, it is XML.
HPGL is considered to be “code-like”, and contains instructions for printers. The images produced by the printers control the licensing for the HPGL file. So copyright applies to HPGL unless the author/artist replaces it with a CC license or release to public usage.
PDF, PS, EPS are based on PostScript (a printer code language) and are considered to be a publishing format like a book. Copyright rules apply, unless the author/artist replaces it with a CC license or release to public usage.
PNG, JPG, etc aren’t code, their are raster digital images.
This is why Creative Commons licensing was created, to cover these digital products which aren’t exactly code, and don’t match completely with GPL, Apache, MIT, and other open source licenses.

The structure of Github is not so good for shared artwork with version control, SparkleShare is better.
Git is open source, Github itself is not, but this is fine. Also, private repos are allowed on Github. Only when your mark your repo as public does it become free of charge, and it becomes visible to the public. This says nothing about the licensing of your code. So if your code is on Github either as public or private repo, this doesn’t mean that your code is released under an open source license.

However, for our usage where we need simple sharing (not version control), a shared website where users upload and download files is preferable to Github. And a single license structure like CC-by-3.0 should apply to everything available on the site. Because downloads from the Valentina pattern share could contain XML, printer code, and raster image files.

I am trying to register for it, but it has problem with the code that was send saying "The system cannot complete your request due to an unexpected problem. Please try again. If the problem persists then contact your local support team. (Reference:886216) Confirmed. " And there is no option to resend the code, is there? TIA

I have resent the email with the code in it. Please let me know if you have any further issues.

Jason

Dear Jason, this is the same code and unfortunately it does not work, I tried it few times, is there an option to change the code? Cheers, Olga (i have copied my email just in case)

On the cinc.kitchen recipe sharing site, I like their terms. We could have something similar.
Basically, “allowing others to view your content and duplicate and edit” + atttribution == CC-by-3.0

D. Copyright and Content Ownership
We claim no intellectual property rights over the material you provide to the Service. Your profile and materials uploaded remain yours. However, by setting your data to be viewed publicly, you agree to allow others to view your Content as well as duplicate and edit (“fork”) your data.
Digital Butter does not pre-screen Content, but Digital Butter and its designee have the right (but not the obligation) in their sole discretion to refuse or remove any Content that is available via the Service.

That sounds good. Do you think we can copy it :slight_smile:

@MrDoo We can use it as an “example”, with some minor changes to avoid lifting it verbatim.

It’s nice that one can view details related to the val file online. However I can’t seen to find the ‘download’ button, is it because those users didn’t allow their pattern files to be downloadable?