Automating loading measurements and exporting

Hi everyone, I hope this is the correct spot for this. I was wondering if there is a way to (or plans to) create a workflow to automate 1) saving customer’s measurements into a .vit file; 2) loading measurements into a pattern; and 3) exporting to SVG and/or PDF. I’d like to sell some custom patterns on Shopify, and wondering if there is a way to cut down on the time spent fulfilling orders so I can offer a better price for customers. Not sure if other pattern designers have come up with a process that they would be willing to discuss :slight_smile: Thank you in advance!

3 Likes

hi! Welcome aboard!

You could try the Command Line - Seamly2D

@MrDoo used that in producing the my-pattern.cloud site, which might have some of the functionality that you’re wanting.

:unicorn:

2 Likes

The my-pattern.cloud site does indeed use the command line interface to Seamly2D to do exactly this. Let me know if you need example commands (though the command line help is pretty good).

One of the intentions of the site was to make it easy to manage measurements and use these with uploaded (your own, or shared) patterns and generate PDFs.

4 Likes

Hi @MrDoo, Yes please share examples!

2 Likes

Hi, thank you for replying! I’ve registered with my-pattern.cloud, however I’m still looking for some examples on the automation front to make it a one-stop-shop for my clients. Would you be able to share some examples or advice? Thank you again so much!

2 Likes

Hi @thumbeliya

My 5c worth…

I like to draft my patterns using a multisize (.vst) measurement file. This way, I can change the size in the bottom left of the screen to check that it resizes smoothly.

That said… In a perfect world, everyone would fit into one of the sizes in the measurement file. However, in this world everyone is unique, so it is always necessary to take the individuals measurements and place them into an individual measurement file and attach it to the pattern.

I would suggest making loosely fitting (comfort fit) garments that don’t need to fit like a 2nd skin if you are not making patterns for someone that you can run a test of the garment on.

2 Likes

Thanks, Grace! I am taking custom measurements for each customer. Currently, customers give measurements on Shopify, and then I manually input them into SeamlyMe and then run the pattern in Seamly2D. I’m looking into automating as much of this process as possible, hoping for some guidance for folks who have done this. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

My 3 cents worth… what if it were possible to import a spreadsheet of measurements and then outputting a pattern for each set of measurements in the spreadsheet?

I know that’s the direction I’d like to go in… as I own a costume shop (albeit kinda on hiatus until this Covid crap ends) where it’s common that we get a set of measurements in spreadsheet form.

At my shop even when we’re making fitted garments, we always add extra to various seams in case a garment needs to be let out, especially if it’s for rental stock. When we’re lucky we get to do a sample - like currently I have a sample shell for a Kenny Rogers jacket out for fitting - but usually we don’t have that luxury. Of course how well a costume built to measurement fits will depend on how well the measurements were taken. For professional theatres it’s usually not a problem - for high schools it’s a whole different story.

2 Likes

Oh, wow! and teenagers can grow quite some in a few weeks, too :slight_smile:

I would prefer .csv to .vit. .vit is in XML format, but .csv is more universal and easier to deal with.

1 Like

We may need these features… and we may need a new file extension .smme

1. Create or Edit a Seamly .smme file:
    • The User selects an option to display a diagram of Seamly body measurements.
    • For each measurement added to the file:
      • The User selects a body measurement on the diagram, which then becomes highlighted in the diagram.
      • The User enters a Custom Measurement Name for this measurement.
      • The User either enters a measurement value or leaves it at default ‘0’. Repeat for all desired measurements.
    • If this is a new file then the User enters ‘Unit’ (cm, mm, in).
    • If this file contains someone’s measurements (there’s a measurement value > 0) then the User enters ‘Name’, etc.
    • The User names and saves the file.
    • If this is a new file, either one or two files will be created:
      • File #1: If all values = 0 a new a measurement template .smmt file will be created in the measurement template directory.
      • File #2: If any value > 0 a new .smme fille will be created in the individual measurement directory
  2. Import .csv file which has Seamly .smme format
  3. Explicitly convert .vit file to Seamly .smme file
  4. Auto-convert .vit file to Seamly .smme file when opening a pattern. Save pattern with reference to the .smme file.

The User can create a new measurement file from the .smmt template file by opening it with:

• SeamlyMe, then saving to another file name.
  • Excel or other spreadsheet software, then saving to another filename, exporting as .csv, importing to Seamly2D

Example of file with all values=0:

"unit", "" 
"family-name", ""
"given-name"  ""
"birth-date", "1800-01-01"
"gender", "unknown"
"email", ""
"bust_circ", "Bust", "0"
"waist_circ","Waist", "0"  
"arm_shoulder_tip_to_wrist", "SleeveLength", "0" 

Patterns which have Custom Measurement Names can be opened by other users who don’t use those names:

1. Upon opening a design file in Seamly2D, any Custom Measurement Names with formulas (eg Seamly measurements) from the measurement file are created or refreshed.
  2. Custom Measurement Names can be viewed and edited in the ‘Variables’ dialog under a new ‘Custom Measurement Names’ tab.
  3. Custom Measurement Names can be used in formulas with the ‘@’ prefix.
  4. Custom Measurement Names with formulas are stored in the design file in a new tag <customMeasurements></customMeasurements>
  5. Custom Measurement Names can be used to create Increments because they are higher in the DOM. (Yes we still want to change “Increments” to “Variables”)
  6. Custom Measurement Names can be exported to a .smmt measurement template from the Custom Measurement Names tab.

@Douglas - This is a tad complicated, but not entirely labyrinthian. What do you think? What would you change? Has anything been left out to accomplish these goals:

1. Create a measurement file which maps Seamly names to Custom names.
  2. Export mapping in .csv format so users can enter measurements using spreadsheet software
  3. Import user .csv measurement files
  4. Store mapping in the design file so it can be used by persons who don’t use those Custom names.
2 Likes