App iPad Pro

No way… that only invites a multitude of mistakes in HOW measurements are taken. We deal with that all too often. Worst thing to do is let high school kids measure themselves!

One thing that can be added to a measurement app is error checking… like measurements have to add up.

It’s why I keep saying at my shop I can’t wait till the day 3D body scanning is the norm.

2 Likes

Have not had to deal with high school students measuring themselves. It is often a cast of 30-70 people with a crew of 4-6 experienced seamstresses taking measurements. We have several who will not even consider making their own patterns, but do superb work with commercial patterns. I end up doing the specialty costumes myself to fit people outside the parameters of available patterns or who require more fitting.

1 Like

Well… since we’ve been in business nearly 40 years and send out about 5,000 costumes during the Feb-Apr school show season alone, have shipped around the world, provided / built costumes for schools, colleges, community & professional Theatres, Disney World, Operas, TV, Movies, Broadway, mass produced masquerade costumes, produced 100’s of mascots, even shipped 1776 to the Vatican - we’re like Farmers Insurance- “we know a thing or two because we’ve seen a thing or two”. LOL

2 Likes

Wow! @Douglas, I’m really, really impressed :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing about your business. Do you have a website?

Couldn’t a simple website type of form be used for this? Which then saves/exports into a .vit format document, which then can be opened by SeamlyME on a PC? A person could select the measurement areas they use and save their template on their phone.

I’ll think about it a bit more but I do think that anyone sewing for large quantities of people already know where to measure which areas and which codes they prefer to use, so a phone app for SeamlyMe doesn’t need to be really complicated with pictures, etc. and formulas for measurement purposes.

What may be necessary, though, is to be able to import the file into an existing file on a pc that does support formulas for those measurements that are created from other measurements.

I’ll think about it a bit more :slight_smile: and perhaps play around with some html.

@Grace, if you have not already, it may be interesting for you to upload a pattern to my-pattern.cloud and “customize” it with a measurement file. It is particularly interesting if you use a measurement file that contains less than all of the required measurements for the particular pattern. The UI on that site will allow you to enter the required measurements. I am fairly certain that my-pattern.cloud is exactly the same site as was seamly.cloud. @MrDoo has either copied everything or changed pointers because the name service and security certificate for “seamly.cloud” have not been renewed

1 Like

Wow! That’s brilliant. Then one can use it to enter the measurements from your iPhone.

It seems that @MrDoo developed both sites and has very kindly kept the my-pattern.cloud running for us (as a backup) and has a link that updates between the two so that they are both current. Which seems to be very fortunate :slight_smile: Thank you, @MrDoo.

This was obviously not the original idea, if I’m reading this chat correctly: Pattern share website user registration.

1 Like

The URLs https://seamly.cloud/ and https://my-pattern.cloud/ both point to the same system, so it is not a case of keeping the systems aligned, there is only one system. Originally I created it as my-pattern.cloud, but with the support of @slspencer we also made it accessible using seamly.cloud, though this certificate is currently expired.

There are some notable improvements coming soon to this site - it can now preview the pattern itself and show a graph of dependencies between drawing objects (I hope to push these changes through into the live system in the next week or so). Much of this new functionality is ‘experimental’, but may still be useful to people. If you would like access to the test version of the system then please let me know.

2 Likes

Wow, @MrDoo :slight_smile: I’m looking forward to see your new functions when they’re ready :slight_smile: And thank you very much for all your hard work.

1 Like

Hi @mrdoo, Did you receive the CSR?

There may be a terminology confusion…

I sent the CSR (Certificate Signing Request) by email on 9th February. Once this has been checked (they’ll confirm you are in control of this domain) by your supplier they will sign it and return it as a certificate (often in many different file types for compatibility with different servers). Once I can get this signed certificate then I install this in the keychain and the https will work again. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

+1 to an ipad app. It would really be great to have one…

1 Like

You sent a CSR request to whom? Did you get a confirmation that they received your request?

1 Like

Hi @MrDoo, Did you set up an email address for the seamly.cloud domain on your server? Comodo’s new rules require an admin email for the domain. When I ordered the seamly.cloud SSL cert earlier this year they asked for the system administrator’s email, so I gave them your email (obviously it wasn’t a seamly.cloud email address).

Today Comodo sent me email following up on the SSL order, asking if I had received it. They should have sent it to you. Did you receive any emails from Comodo?

The SNAFU probably is that we are now required to have an admin email for seamly.cloud. As usual, Comodo didn’t explain this full. They just asked for the system administrator’s email. I found the following information on the DreamHost site today, so this may be the source of the problem. We need a standard admin email for the seamly.cloud domain for a Comodo SSL cert:

Hi @slspencer, I hope you are well in these interesting times.

I’m not able to set up an admin@seamly.cloud email address as you are in control of this domain. The company with which you’ve registered this domain probably has a free or low cost email offering as part of this service. I could set up an email service with one of my internet service providers, this would require you, as controller of the domain to set up MX records pointing to this mail service. I’m happy to setup those aspects that I can.

Ok I set up email at Dreamhost for admin@seamly.cloud. It will forward to you at jason.dore@me.com

It may take an hour or two to propogate through DNS. Then I’ll contact comodo. Thanks!

Developing an iPad Pro application for Seamly2D is definitely possible. Yet, it may require additional time and resources from the development team. The complexity of creating an app for the iPad Pro would depend on a number of factors, such as the software’s current codebase, compatibility with iOS, and the overall user interface design. However, it would certainly be an exciting addition to the Seamly2D software and could provide a more convenient experience for professionals like yourself who need to work on-the-go. If you are interested in seeing an iPad Pro version of Seamly2D, you can reach out to an experienced development team, such as https://smartengines.com/, and express your interest.

2 Likes

Well, it will definitely require more work on the build end of it… not sure what issues may arise in the code itself. What does come to mind though is that with the iPad there is no mouse or track pad so I don’t know how those type of events would be handled.

2 Likes

It’s in the works! We need donations to make this happen to the tune of $30K.

1. Upgrade Qt5 code to Qt6
  2. Convert QtWidgets to QML
  3. Upgrade QML gui items to touch-enabled
2 Likes

Hey @Douglas! I did mention Qt6 but I didn’t know when it would be ready.

1 Like

Just so it’s clear… someone is getting paid to migrate to Qt6? … while I work for nothing.

2 Likes