App iPad Pro

This message is for developers. I have questions for you? today on Seamly2D. Would it be possible for the developers of this fabulous software, to develop an ipad pro application. Is it complicated to do? This is a serious question for me since I started using the software, because as a professional, I have not seen pattern drafter fashion CAO on the Apple Store, and I who moves a lot with customers and who is independent, I would be a plus. I would like to know if there are pros in the community who would be interested. I hope you will answer me Thank you in advance.

3 Likes

Because the Seamly2D code was developed using c++ and Qt (to provide cross platform support) it is absolutely possible. I do not wish to let this statement give a false sense of optimism. While Qt is intended to provide compatibility across platforms, there will undoubtedly be platform specific bugs. The effort to create a release for IPad is not trivial.

Someone would have to commit to creating the new build procedures for the IPad Pro, including finding a c++ compiler that was compatible with the developer’s build environment. Someone would have to commit to testing the application on the IPad platform.

@slspencer, do you have any comment?

2 Likes

I would love for an IPad version of the software. We request our users to recruit programmers to work on Seamly2D but we don’t get much response. So we want this but it isn’t happening.

1 Like

Depending on your setup, you may be able to “cheat” by using a Screen-share App.

2 Likes

It also may be worth the effort to build and test just the seamlyme measurement app on the ipad. this would be less effort than making sure the full pattern design app worked in that environment and definitely useful on its own. The same applies to android app because there are android tablets (and phones) where it would be really useful to have the measurement app. Wearing my developer hat I am interested in looking into this. Anyone else???

2 Likes

It is probably decades since I looked at c++ and compliled small tools. For me the effort to set up the developer environment would problably be the bigger effort (ubuntu and windows available). A mobile environment (SeamlyMe) would be interesting while it probably could be implemented as a web solution too, covering most mobile environments? Interested in looking into Android, yes. I have a few small tweaks I’d like to have implemented to Seamly2D as well.

2 Likes

I’m always interested but really don’t know much about the subject of programming :slight_smile: but, as always, willing to help where I can. Unfortunately, iPad/phone isn’t an option for me - mine are both waaaayyyy outdated.

It would be so nice to have this software on iPad pro. I am sure that it is not only me who could be interested, there are many professionals who are like me in the same situation and who would like to be able to continue their work in public transport or on the move. If I understood correctly, you need a developer who would be responsible for creating this application, unfortunately around me I don’t know anyone. I would like to be able to participate in the development of this application. Anyway, after talking about it around me, I know there are professionals who would be interested in this application. I repeat myself a little, but in any case I hope to convince some of you to vote for the development of this application thank you for listening and responding positively thank you thank you thank you.

2 Likes

If I had an iPad I’d build an iOS ver… anyone is free to send me one. LOL

Seriously… it shouldn’t be that hard to build an iOS ver as Qt supports it. The area that may need some work is the touch screen gesture stuff.

2 Likes

A measurement app - regardless of the main program makes sense. It could work on a phone iOs or Android - where the main program would not work very well on a small screen.

I could see it useful for say in my business where a theatre can use the app to enter a cast’s measurements and email the file(s). In other words the measurement app could also be used by the client, where the main pattern program is not of concern to them.

In all honesty though, an app would need an update as Roman has a quirky way of programming, and Tape / Seamlyme is real confusing as it is. It needs to be set up more like conventional database entry, where a template is selected and then the various fields can be entered for client info and measurements.

1 Like

my thoughts exactly. I have even considered doing a build with Qt on android and bulletproofing at least the SeamlyMe app. Still looking for that round tuit. I do not have an Iphone or Ipad, so I will not be signing up for that.

The issue that would keep me from doing such a thing and putting it out there for public use is the slippery slope of… well if it works on (insert tablet configuration here) why does it not work well on my (insert smart phone configuration here). I am sure it would work well on some and not on others, depending an a variety of resource availability variables.

1 Like

I have also toyed with the idea of making an app that would work on smart phones or android tablets that would simply create a “.vit” file with the appropriate format. So far, the way I have been working with others in making theater costumes, it has been just as easy to gather and record measurements by hand then put them into .vit file format using my own desktop application.

1 Like

there are already several free apps that record measurements, again, in my working environment there has been insufficient payoff to make it worth the effort of doing anything more than using paper and pencil. In a professional (paid) costume shop, that might vary. In community theater, it is not worth the effort to convince anyone to learn to use software to do something that works well with the manual process. With a large cast, it is more helpful to accept the efforts of volunteers and not try to tell each person how to do something

1 Like

There’s probably more issue just building for Windows, Mac, Unbuntu, Linux, etc etc.

In fact I’ve been tearing my hair out for a month or so trying to get my version to compile on a new Windows 10 laptop… there’s dll registry issues with Qt 5.12 & windows 10… so I update to the latest Qt 5.14… now there’s deprecated methods…

2 Likes

there are several combinations of specific ubuntu versions with specific Qt versions that will not work well. A big issue is the application simply going out to lunch and crashing with open files under a variety of circumstances, many having to do with closing a window by clicking “x” as opposed to closing the window by selecting a program option to close it. I have not spent the time or effort to track these all down and have no intention of doing so unless a user with a specific configuration asks for help. I have not even tried to test various configurations involving windows (including XP, Vista, version 7 and version 10 with various updates installed or not).

1 Like

No way… that only invites a multitude of mistakes in HOW measurements are taken. We deal with that all too often. Worst thing to do is let high school kids measure themselves!

One thing that can be added to a measurement app is error checking… like measurements have to add up.

It’s why I keep saying at my shop I can’t wait till the day 3D body scanning is the norm.

2 Likes

Have not had to deal with high school students measuring themselves. It is often a cast of 30-70 people with a crew of 4-6 experienced seamstresses taking measurements. We have several who will not even consider making their own patterns, but do superb work with commercial patterns. I end up doing the specialty costumes myself to fit people outside the parameters of available patterns or who require more fitting.

1 Like

Well… since we’ve been in business nearly 40 years and send out about 5,000 costumes during the Feb-Apr school show season alone, have shipped around the world, provided / built costumes for schools, colleges, community & professional Theatres, Disney World, Operas, TV, Movies, Broadway, mass produced masquerade costumes, produced 100’s of mascots, even shipped 1776 to the Vatican - we’re like Farmers Insurance- “we know a thing or two because we’ve seen a thing or two”. LOL

2 Likes

Wow! @Douglas, I’m really, really impressed :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing about your business. Do you have a website?

Couldn’t a simple website type of form be used for this? Which then saves/exports into a .vit format document, which then can be opened by SeamlyME on a PC? A person could select the measurement areas they use and save their template on their phone.

I’ll think about it a bit more but I do think that anyone sewing for large quantities of people already know where to measure which areas and which codes they prefer to use, so a phone app for SeamlyMe doesn’t need to be really complicated with pictures, etc. and formulas for measurement purposes.

What may be necessary, though, is to be able to import the file into an existing file on a pc that does support formulas for those measurements that are created from other measurements.

I’ll think about it a bit more :slight_smile: and perhaps play around with some html.

@Grace, if you have not already, it may be interesting for you to upload a pattern to my-pattern.cloud and “customize” it with a measurement file. It is particularly interesting if you use a measurement file that contains less than all of the required measurements for the particular pattern. The UI on that site will allow you to enter the required measurements. I am fairly certain that my-pattern.cloud is exactly the same site as was seamly.cloud. @MrDoo has either copied everything or changed pointers because the name service and security certificate for “seamly.cloud” have not been renewed

1 Like