Adding names to lines and splines

As of now, there doesn’t seem to be a way to add names to the lines which connect two points (firstPoint, secondPoint in the xml) or splines.

1. Is there a reason this is exclusion is the case that I may not be seeing?

2. Can someone point me in the direction as to where I might be able to add this name attribute to these lines? I already forked the main repo to start looking through the code base, but as I am not very used to working in C++ it is taking me some time to locate the places which might need to be edited to add this additional attribute.

Just in case you are not aware of this… Lines and splines are allocated names automatically based on their start and end points. They (their lengths, angles etc.) can then be referred to within formula.

I’m not saying that it wouldn’t sometimes be useful to be able to replace the automatically assigned name.

to see a list of the named lines, click on “Measurements” in the top menu and click on “Variables Table”. A window will be displayed containing the internal variables will be shown. Each type of variables, including the lines may be displayed by this method. I have attached a screenshot as an example

variable-line-list

I understand that you are asking to be able to change those names, and this is not currently possible, but I would suggest that if you want to search for a place to add this, you might start by looking for the code that displays the table of variables.

Ah, Thank you! This is very helpful. It definitely would be useful to assign a name to a line or spline so that it could be displayed as a label when visually representing the pattern. Even if the default was something like “Line_A4_A2”. But this is helpful to know either way.

Added a user request: Add name attribute to lines and splines