Add point to curve

Salut,

For two curves or curved paths, I can create a point at the intersection. Is there a way to add this point to one of the curved paths?

Cheerio, flugzeug

2 Likes

Hello @flugzeug

I don’t think the intersection of 2 curved paths would be the tool to use to only add a point to only one curve. There are other options available that will do this for you. In the example below, I used the Segment a Curved Path tool to place the BackNotch at the same height on the back armhole as it is on the sleeve cap by using the formula of the lengths of curve sections in the sleeve cap:

There is also the option to use the Point Intersect Curve and Axis tool which will place a notch where a line would meet the curve at a certain angle from another node. And there are other options depending on the type of curve or arc.

I’m not too sure what it is that you wish to do, but I’d suggest testing these options until you find the one that works for you, or to describe what it is that you want to do so that someone on here can help you.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your reply!!!

Your suggestions would definitely work as workarounds, but I think adding the existing point to the existing curve would be tidier. So let me try to explain what I want to do:

In the image, I want to create the entry line for a side pocket.

1. I begin by moving in 5cm from the side seam, along the waist line, creating a new point (1).
  2. the entry line is supposed to be 20cm, so I create an arc of radius 20cm around the new point (1) on the waist line. Then, I create a point (2) at the intersection of this arc and the side seam.
  3. Next, I want to move make a copy of the side seam above the new point (2), and move it slightly to the left at the top, so that the bottom part of the pocket isn’t sewn on top of the side seam but slightly behind. But in order to make a copy of this part of the side seamline, I need point (2) to be part of the side seam curve.

In summary, point (2) sits right on the side seam path, but it’s not a part of it. How can I do that?

I hope the explanation makes sense, please let me know if there is anything that I can clarify. Many thanks for your support.

flugzeug

image0

2 Likes

Not sure if you understand completely how pattern pieces are actually created. You can create multiple (detail) pattern pieces from a single draft.

You can make a pattern piece using any combination of points and curves created in draft (draw) mode. In other words you don’t have to redraft the pocket.

I can post an example later when I’m at my pc.

2 Likes

Ok, you do everything on the drawing. Like this:

The blue lines are the ones I added for the pocket and its facings.

When you are selecting the nodes and curves using the Detail > Workpiece Tool, you only select the nodes that you need for that specific portion of the pattern, so that you end up with various different parts that fit onto and into each other perfectly. Like this:

Here are my example files so that you can see exactly what I did:

Aldrich - Basic Trousers.val (46.2 KB)

Aldrich Women - 8 to 18 - 32 to 42.vst (3.1 KB)

I hope that I’ve explained it nicely to you. If there’s something not clear, please let me know.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

One thing I might add to Grace’s excellent example… you may notice as you add more lines and points and curves - things start to get a bit messy. This is where the operations->group tool comes in handy. It allows you to create a group and add various object to it. In the group dock you can then choose which groups you want to hide / show.

Cheers.

3 Likes

By now, I have reached that point where things start to look a bit messy. Creating groups and showing/hiding the right ones will be a game changer:)

In the example of the pocket above, what I wanted to do was to create a curve that runs from P2 to a point between A11 and z10, just outside of the side seam. This would be part of the bottom part of the pocket. I can work around it in various ways but thought it would be good to know if it can be done by including the new point P2 in the side seam path. Many thanks for these awesome examples!

2 Likes

If I understand what you’re asking, (I’m a little muzzy at the present,) yes! that should be fine.

If you’re wanting to add a “node” to an existing pattern piece, you will use the “Insert node tool” a couple buttons below the tracing “Workpiece tool”, make sure you tell it to add to the proper piece, & then go to the detailing screen, shift it to the proper location in the list of nodes for the pattern, & remove the exclusion status of the node.

Or you could just re-trace the whole thing. That is easier until you get used to seeing the node list.

I hope this answers your question!

:unicorn:

1 Like

Here’s a question - sorta off topic… but would you think it is more common to want a newly inserted node to be included or excluded? Currently it get sets to excluded - I think it should be the other way around - otherwise why would you add it in the first place? It’s just another wasted step.

Also it would be handy to be able to insert multiple nodes at the same time, but that’s a topic for another day. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello @Douglas, just my 1c worth… If it was included and placed at the end of the selection list, then your pattern would be totally deformed when you go to the Details board. So I’d rather have it excluded unless I can also place it where it needs to go when I add it to the pattern.

:blush:

1 Like

Theoretically it could be possible to do… but it would mean implementing some drag & drop programming - where you could select the insert node tool - a path list pops up, You could then select a draft point / object and drag it into the path list, and Voila!

Of course we could always just add another preference and let the user decide to exclude or include all newly inserted nodes. :slight_smile:

Edit:

It’s also possible that we could check what node (in the draft block) is before the inserted node, and use that as reference to insert the node after in the path of the pattern piece.

2 Likes

Just to expand on Pneumarian’s post… here’s the Workpiece Tool showing a newly inserted node FW_6 at the bottom of the list. The right button context menu shows it’s excluded. Uncheck it and it’s included. You can then either drag the node to it’s proper order in the path, or use the move button arrows to place move it in the list. Note: The move buttons are there because dragging items in a list can sometimes be unstable and cause crashes. This may be more stable in more recent Qt versions.

Also you may note that there is another menu item in the context menu to make the node point a notch. Once you’ve defined it as a notch you can then use the Notch tab to design what type of notch it is.

Cheers.

Screenshot (172)

2 Likes